"DX10 Benchmark Fiasco"

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=408

While neither company would really come out and say it, both NVIDIA and AMD are hoping that the idea will come across that the other "cheated" in each particular DX10 benchmark scenario. AMD kept the "Juarez" demo from performing up to the level it could on NVIDIA hardware and NVIDIA kept the "Lost Planet" demo from running properly on AMD hardware; or at least that’s what the general reader might gather from all of this.

I think that's a bit harsh. One ought to be very careful before mind-reading and putting words in somebody's mouth when they've used their own words. There is a fine but important distinction between suggesting that you don't think a scenario is a representative one that will provide a reasonably accurate general picture, and hoping that the reader will get the idea that the other fellow is cheating. Cheating is a very loaded word to be the first to toss on the table.

In my view, the only people that can possibly "police" these developer relations programs are the developers themselves; they are the only ones that see everything both sides are offering up. But because so many of the medium to small developers depend on this help from NVIDIA and AMD, they are unlikely to stand up against them individually. It will take one of the larger, more independent companies like Valve, id or even Blizzard to be able to take the stance on the gamer’s side and stick up for the benefit of all PC enthusiasts.
Valve had HL2 with ATI and id had the NV35 Doom 3 benchmarks. I have significant issues with this editorial, not the least of which is the fact that neither driver is anywhere close to mature, nor are app developers used to D3D10 development yet.

Valve had HL2 with ATI and id had the NV35 Doom 3 benchmarks. I have significant issues with this editorial, not the least of which is the fact that neither driver is anywhere close to mature, nor are app developers used to D3D10 development yet.

I couldn't stop laughing at that one. ATi and Valve have a extremely clear relationship, id with Nvidia and Blizzard is a TWIMTPB partner as well (though when has Blizzard ever been cutting edge graphics wise?).

Right. If you fire up a D3D10 debugging tool and take a look what the early preview does you can see that there are still many strange render sequences in.

Hmm, I wonder if FutureMark is, right now, embroiled in a mother of a battle twixt AMD and NVidia...

It's pretty amazing that 3DMk07 hasn't appeared as yet. I can't wait, it should liven things up over the summer...

Jawed

Hmm, I wonder if FutureMark is, right now, embroiled in a mother of a battle twixt AMD and NVidia...

It's pretty amazing that 3DMk07 hasn't appeared as yet. I can't wait, it should liven things up over the summer...

Jawed

We should rattle the cage of our Illuminati plant inside FM and see wassup wit all dat. I'll try to remind the Grand Bulb to ask about that. . .

Jawed

I was thinking the same thing. 06 caused enough of a stink (though small-ish compared to the bruhaha of 03), so here's hoping. . .er, wondering if the drama will continue.

I was thinking the same thing. 06 caused enough of a stink (though small-ish compared to the bruhaha of 03), so here's hoping. . .er, wondering if the drama will continue.

I just ported B3D's coverage of '03 this morning. I started to twitch from post traumatic stress syndrome. . .

Back