DVI Connectors On Flat Panel's

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
OK, I'm currently toying with the idea of getting a small (15") cheapish flat panel display for my second PC, but I can't seem to find any with a DVI connector. From the ones I've looked at so far DVI connectors only seem to come on LCD monitors > 15"; does anyone know of an exception to this rule (and doesn't cost the earth!)?

DaveBaumann said:
OK, I'm currently toying with the idea of getting a small (15") cheapish flat panel display for my second PC, but I can't seem to find any with a DVI connector. From the ones I've looked at so far DVI connectors only seem to come on LCD monitors > 15"; does anyone know of an exception to this rule (and doesn't cost the earth!)?

I know the feeling. I eventually "lashed out" and bought a 17" HP 1720 from Dabs, for about £600. It is reasonably fast and the display has the extra features like Portrait mode (not that I've used it since I don't think it's supported in Linux.. yet).

My next step is to try putting the DV connector on the Kryo - but I'm not sure my soldering is up to it!

I know the feeling. I eventually "lashed out" and bought a 17" HP 1720 from Dabs, for about £600.

Eek! This is where the ‘costing the earth’ comes into play! I was hoping to pick one up for around £300, which is possible for a 15” one – I’d probably go a little more if I could find one with a DVI connector as well.

If I did bite the bullet and go for something more I think it would still aggravate me paying that much for something that still couldn’t reach the resolution of the 19” CRT I have!

My next step is to try putting the DV connector on the Kryo - but I'm not sure my soldering is up to it!

What, KYROIII doesn’t come with one? ;)

Surely the boys down at VDO would be able to whack one up for you? (do you need a TDMS transmitter for a DVI connector?)

DaveBaumann said:
I know the feeling. I eventually "lashed out" and bought a 17" HP 1720 from Dabs, for about £600.

Eek! This is where the ?costing the earth? comes into play! I was hoping to pick one up for around £300, which is possible for a 15? one ? I?d probably go a little more if I could find one with a DVI connector as well.
Well it was about 33% cheaper than a lot of it's competitors! Now those were expensive. You could always look to see if its baby brother also has DVI - have a gander at the HP website.

If I did bite the bullet and go for something more I think it would still aggravate me paying that much for something that still couldn?t reach the resolution of the 19? CRT I have!
Hmm well the 1280x1024 on the HP LCD is a LOT sharper than the 1280 I'm running on my 19" CRT next to it. I keep thinking my eyes are playing up each time I move back to it. Perhaps if I get a DVI cable the display will become so sharp my eyes will bleed.

Plus if you could get software that addresses each colour component individually, then the resolution would effectively become much higher still.

What, KYROIII doesn?t come with one? ;)
With Kyro II it was up to the manufacturer to decide whether DVI output was included - I'd imagine it'd be the same for any future generation chip.

Surely the boys down at VDO would be able to whack one up for you? (do you need a TDMS transmitter for a DVI connector?)
Err I've no idea what a TDMS transmitter is, but on the various Kyro boards, AFAIK, it's only the connecter that's absent.

TMDS is the name Silicon Image use for their line of DVI transmitter devices. Which basically encode the data sent from the digital port, to a digital signal used by the monitor.

I have one available if you want to try it out.

Back