"DVDs will be obsolete in 10 years: Bill Gates"

Wunderchu

Regular
Bill Gates shares his vision for a future free of DVDs. He views a television that shows the user what they want to see, when they want to see it. Is Bill Gates right? In only ten years will we be DVD free, and come to rely on another format?

DVDs will be obsolete in 10 years at the latest, Microsoft boss and founder Bill Gates predicted. Asked what home entertainment would like in the future, Gates said that DVD technology would be "obsolete in 10 years at the latest. If you consider that nowadays we have to carry around film and music on little silver discs and stick them in the computer, it's ridiculous," Gates said in comments reproduced in German in the mass-circulation daily Bild.

"These things can scratch or simply get lost." Gates' vision of television of the future was: "TV that will simply show what we want to see, when we want to see it. When we get home, the home computer will know who we are from our voice or our face. It will know what we want to watch, our favourite programmes, or what the kids shouldn't be allowed to see."
[source: http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=22199&category=main ]

direct link:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1509&e=1&u=/afp/afplifestyle_germany_us

we all know the saying "640kB will be enough for everyone".
Somehow, i think his comments isnt going to hold true for this one either.

We might have "blue-ray" disc in the next 2 years and maybe "green-ray" disc in the next 5 years after that :LOL:

Bill Gates said:
If you consider that nowadays we have to carry around film and music on little silver discs and stick them in the computer, it's ridiculous.
Amen. Where are the data crystals... I want my data crystals.

Bahadir said:
we all know the saying "640kB will be enough for everyone".
Somehow, i think his comments isnt going to hold true for this one either.

We might have "blue-ray" disc in the next 2 years and maybe "green-ray" disc in the next 5 years after that :LOL:
Errrr... You haven't been paying attention in physics, have you? It'll be "indigo-" or "violet-ray"next. ;)

I agree, but not the 10 years at the latest part. We'll be getting movies through high speed fiber optics and high speed wireless networks but it's not going to make DVDs obsolete at least not in 10 years. Cost will always be an issue not to mention recordable DVD media.

History says a major format lasts about 25 years.

- 33 rpm records (mid 60's - early 90's)
- compact cassette (early 70's - late 90's)
- VHS (late 70's - 2002)
- CD (mid 80's - around 2010 seems a reasonable guess)

The more interesting thing is the way that VHS finished with a real cliff, unlike records and cassette. I've thought for a long time this is because it was so clearly inadequate technically.

Now, DVD is a bit different because 'HD-DVD' will have to come along at some point and create infinite confusion, but I suspect DVD will have an awfully long tail to it (like record) because of format buy-in and most people won't have HDTV.

I don't think it will make 25 years, but only a 15 year life seems perhaps a little short.

Bill Gates isn't an authority on consumer electronics, and consumer electronics is NOT the same as PCs.

BG is used to people throwing away their PC every three to four years to keep it reasonably up to snuff when running the latest software, but consumer electronics is dominated by clueless couch potato people who buy a gadget and expect it to work pretty much forever. They'd go up in arms if what they bought stopped being useful within just a couple years!

Dio said:
The more interesting thing is the way that VHS finished with a real cliff, unlike records and cassette. I've thought for a long time this is because it was so clearly inadequate technically.

Now, DVD is a bit different because 'HD-DVD' will have to come along at some point and create infinite confusion, but I suspect DVD will have an awfully long tail to it (like record) because of format buy-in and most people won't have HDTV.

I don't think it will make 25 years, but only a 15 year life seems perhaps a little short.

One thing to consider is that DVD hardware can be produced much cheaper than VHS hardware. The mechanics in a VHS recorder/player are just too complex - you just can't build them as cheap as a simple DVD drive. This could boost longevity of DVD.
Another thing is that backwards compatibility to DVD should be relatively easy to achieve with Blu-Ray (or any other optical medium with that format), just like DVD drives are compatible with CDs - which could either help the life of DVD or smoothen the transision to another format.

Just my thoughts about the topic.

Of course, one aspect that might encourage them to become defunct is if the movie industry decides that
  • DVDs are too easy to copy
  • Move to a new standard with proper encryption (not just this 40bit oops 16 bit key) and insist on secure HW

Yeah but DVDs and other 'physical media = ownership' ways of distribution are convenient. I can see Mr Gates' revolutionary vision being hampered a bit by overzealous or incompatible digital restrictions management schemes. At least with a DVD you know you can take it anywhere, play it anywhere, loan it to anyone, and even make a backup copy for safekeeping.

Florin said:
Yeah but DVDs and other 'physical media = ownership' ways of distribution are convenient. I can see Mr Gates' revolutionary vision being hampered a bit by overzealous or incompatible digital restrictions management schemes. At least with a DVD you know you can take it anywhere, play it anywhere, loan it to anyone, and even make a backup copy for safekeeping.
Errrr no ... you cannot.

I'm pissed off that, as an Australian living in the UK, my family may not be able to send me DVDs of Aussie programs (only available in Aus') because they are in Region 4 and my (current) DVD player only accepts region 2.

Simon F said:
Errrr no ... you cannot.

I'm pissed off that, as an Australian living in the UK, my family may not be able to send me DVDs of Aussie programs (only available in Aus') because they are in Region 4 and my (current) DVD player only accepts region 2.

Oh yeah, you're right I forgot about that. That's indeed a nice attempt to screw customers over also. But then somehow this has never been much of an issue for me.. all of the thingies which play DVDs that I have (which is like 7 now :?) were easily switched to regionfree, except for one in my Dell laptop.

I'm not a big fan of DVDs or CDs. They just get scratched so easily. I can't wait for cheap solid state media. Movies on compact flash cards. That's what I need.

JCLW said:
I'm not a big fan of DVDs or CDs. They just get scratched so easily. I can't wait for cheap solid state media. Movies on compact flash cards. That's what I need.
I guess you'd be able to get a 1~2hr movie onto a big flash card if you used MPEG4 but I think the quality would be a bit lower than standard DVD. Still, it'd be nice for long distance commuters.

Florin said:
all of the thingies which play DVDs that I have (which is like 7 now :?) were easily switched to regionfree, except for one in my Dell laptop.
Not an option for our Panasonic DVD player - the conversion (new chip!) is more expensive than some (quite reasonable) players on the market. I wouldn't have bought it except that it was heavily discounted when we purchased our telly.

Simon F said:
Florin said:
all of the thingies which play DVDs that I have (which is like 7 now :?) were easily switched to regionfree, except for one in my Dell laptop.
Not an option for our Panasonic DVD player - the conversion (new chip!) is more expensive than some (quite reasonable) players on the market. I wouldn't have bought it except that it was heavily discounted when we purchased our telly.

then it's your own fault and you're complaining about a fixable problem.

No sympathy 8)

Actually this whole region encoding/delayed releases by regions encourages piracy in my view.

Randell said:
Actually this whole region encoding/delayed releases by regions encourages piracy in my view.
please explain to me the point of the whole "region" thing again?
what was/is it supposed to accomplish, other than screwing the customers?

Althornin said:
Randell said:
please explain to me the point of the whole "region" thing again?
what was/is it supposed to accomplish, other than screwing the customers?

no arguement from me!

They arent interested in screwing customers, all they are interested in is money ... and power, so they can influence law to make more money. So in the end it is still about money.

Back