DVD only on XB2 says inquirer

I think they're just relaying what's been said on GAF (a poster there put up some info "that a little birdie told him" saying that Xbox2 would use dual layered DVDs with 7.x GB capacity - the remaining space is speculated to be used for security features etc. etc.)

That birdie sounds like a liar to me - why would anyone need a gigabyte of security information? That's completely nuts.

Anyway, one of the best copy protections are also the simplest; just make the god damn disc spin backwards and spiral from the outside in... No burner in the world could copy a disc like that.

Guden Oden said:
That birdie sounds like a liar to me - why would anyone need a gigabyte of security information? That's completely nuts.

Anyway, one of the best copy protections are also the simplest; just make the god damn disc spin backwards and spiral from the outside in... No burner in the world could copy a disc like that.
Isn't the xbox working just like that, at least that's what I remember from the early days of xbox being discussed about.

But that hasn't stopped xbox games from being pirated :?
Does it really help if the disc spins backwards and inside out when "played back", if you can copy the data there in normal burner, if the data in the disc is burned in the same places as in original, and all the "start tracks" and such in right place... does it matter if it is not burned witha a backwards burning device?

Guden Oden said:
No burner could copy it, but a compatible drive could make an image of the game. The "compatible drive" in question is the console drive itself (linked to a PC via some homemade cable, à la Dreamcast).
If your console is able to do DVD playback, then you'd could burn your image on a simpl DVD-R and play it on a modded console.

There's very little options when it comes to piracy prevention, when your console has a "standard" drive using "popular" formats such as DVD/BR/HDDVD.

BTW, on the subject, the Xenon and the PS3 (And the Revolution?) should have some DRM technology built directly on the CPU, making the job of creating a hypothetical modchip harder for the HK/Taiwanese companies this time around.

BR in the PS3, assuming it supports movie playback, will increase the value proposition.

However, how likely is it that in the next 5 years, games will require more than DVD9 storage?

Last month, EA and Universal Interactive joined the BDA and made a noise about Blu-Ray being a better storage format than HD-DVD. Disney also said BR was better for some interactive content but they're not talking about graphics-intensive games.

Are games going to go from fitting under 4 GB mostly to over 15 GB (greater than a single layer of HD-DVD)?

Late 2005 is too early to choose either HD format, IMO. Neither has a guaranteed future and the cost must be quite prohibitive.

I would not be surprised, however, if 2-3 years down the road the DVD drive switched to a BD or HD-DVD drive.

Wasn't there a backlash against FMV?

Not because of things like Sewer Shark, which was politically controversial, but because gamers didn't like watching games instead of playing them?

Fortunately, you didn't see too much FMV even when consoles supported DVD video.

honestly i think it would be a mistake for ms to not support hd -dvd .

The only reason why it shouldn't be there is if its to expensive

Same goes to Nintendo with Revolution right jvd?

HD support would be beneficial, not because it would be able to play movies but only because of the extra storage capacity.

wco81 said:
Wasn't there a backlash against FMV?

Not because of things like Sewer Shark, which was politically controversial, but because gamers didn't like watching games instead of playing them?
Nah. Few games threw it all OVER the place anyway. (They'd aim it for intros and endings and major plot points...) The ones that tended to go overboard were the exact same ones that would play out scenes for minutes at a time in the engine anyway (even if we're just talking sprites doing silly shit), so on the whole using FMV didn't add or take away from that part.

More games are prone to using in-engine cut scenes, though, as they can get them reasonably good looking whereas before using FMV was the real way to "wow" the gamer. The only real detraction is if the developer doesn't mix the FMV in well--say, they make it take too long to load--which tends to kick you out of the immersion. Most games don't do the kind of cutscenes RE4 was playing with, so using FMV or blocked in-engine scenes is simply a matter of style, talent, and cash.

Sonic said:
Same goes to Nintendo with Revolution right jvd?

HD support would be beneficial, not because it would be able to play movies but only because of the extra storage capacity.

It would be nice to have in the rev . But seeing how its nintendo i would be happy with just dvd from them . Though a small form factor disc like the cubes but with hd data sizes would be nice .

If sony is able to put in a blueray drive i would hope ms can put a hd -dvd drive in it . Esp since they seem to have almost as big a stake in that as sony has in blueray .

Really though sonic , i'd be happy with a 3.5 ghz dual core cpu for the rev and a r520 or r600 depending on when it comes out at 200ish with wan built in and 4 ports .

I don't need graphics , most of the games on the cube just have no equals on the other systems and thats not because of the graphics , its because of the game play as it allways is .

hat birdie sounds like a liar to me - why would anyone need a gigabyte of security information? That's completely nuts.

Methinks you've never had the pleasure of encrypting Real files with Real's Helix DRM... :p

honestly i think it would be a mistake for ms to not support hd -dvd .

Why?

If sony is able to put in a blueray drive i would hope ms can put a hd -dvd drive in it .

Why?

Esp since they seem to have almost as big a stake in that as sony has in blueray .

They do? If so, then why are they also supporting Blu-Ray? ;)

I said before as long as the medium give adequate storage and speed, i dont care what its called. To most of users, it, like the cpu/gpu/spu/lans' fancy naming convention, is transparent as long it gets the job done.

HDVD BR movies? if im a home movie watcher i will look out for separates which definately do a 101% better job than a console which feel the need to cramps diifferent feature at a ceiling price.

wco81 said:
BR in the PS3, assuming it supports movie playback, will increase the value proposition.

However, how likely is it that in the next 5 years, games will require more than DVD9 storage?

Last month, EA and Universal Interactive joined the BDA and made a noise about Blu-Ray being a better storage format than HD-DVD. Disney also said BR was better for some interactive content but they're not talking about graphics-intensive games.

Are games going to go from fitting under 4 GB mostly to over 15 GB (greater than a single layer of HD-DVD)?

I believe you're missing the point here. Storage capacity and better looking movies is one thing, exclusives is another. I noticed that many seemed to have payed very little attention to this, but it's important.

Blu Ray disc, and I'm assuming HD-DVD as well, will cost less than what we pay for DVDs now, which means trimming the price at the cost of TWO current gen DVD disc. If a developer has to limit themselves to what they can sqeeze on a disc (due to poor capacity issues) as well as paying more to get their titles running on other platforms becuase of the two separte formats, they may be forced to go exclusive to the platform that accommodates them most.

If Microsoft is going the way of a dated format, they may be setting themselves up for failure. It has been proven that every new console released, it consumes a lot more storage than the recent ones. We have gone from CDs to dual layer DVDs since the very first PlayStation. There is not doubt that next-gen titles will, too, will follow this same road for the dual layer disc.

I guess I can underrstand it, though. As I said before, Microsoft is a software company limited to many licenses in the hardware industry. Which means costs could double and even sometimes triple for them compared to a firm like Sony.

Back