DVD Errors: hardware or medium?

Jimmers

Newcomer
The DVD burner I have now is a Lite-On of some sort, and it's great for archiving data. The problem is whenever I try to make a back-up of a DVD movie, the copy looks fine for the first half, and then it slowly gives video and sound errors, util my PS2 will refuse to play anymore. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, was the DVD-/+R medium to blame, or was it the burner?

DVD-/+R medium to blame

consider also the fact that most ps2 lasers are weaker then pc drive dvd lazers, so what plays fine in your pc doenst necesairely play nice in your ps2.
try better media!

Ps2s are not great for playing dvds as the others have said . The drives are really subpar . I would test the media in another drive. Go to a freinds house or whatever. that will make clear what the problem is

If you are backing up DVDs are you compressing them with dvd shrink or something? If so you are modifying them and crappy dvd players have fits with them.

Problem is the Ps2.
Anything with a crappy laser really.
Burn it at 4x, should work.
My apex dvd player will skip on the second half of burned dvds also, if I burn them at 8x, regardless of media.
The fact it's fine during the first half proves it's the ps2 can't read the dvd once it start burning at a certain speed.

What do you people do with your DVDs that require backing them up? :p I play my originals in my PS2, the only movie I had problems with was Star Trek: Insurrection, but that's perhaps because that movie is one of the odd-numbered ones... :p:LOL:

My backed up DVD's crap out on real DVD players as well, so I'm beginning to think that the problem, as hey69 said, is the medium. I'll pick some name-brand medium up this weekend and see if that resolves anything.

Back