Dungeon Siege.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Saem, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Saem

Veteran

Looks good and the gameplay is decent.

The network/net play SUCKS! I mean every freakin' game that's come out recently doesn't give a flying F**K about being behind a NAT based firewall/connection sharing!

Anyone have problems with slow down? I know a friend who has an Athlon 900, >256MB of RAM and a GF3 and he seems to get horrible slow downs. At times it hits <10 or so FPS.

2. pascal

Veteran

The demo is huge, about 183MB :eek: I will have to wait until some CD come with this demo.

3. Saem

Veteran

I played the demo -I live in Canada some of the cheapest and best broadband in the world, gotta love heavily regulated comm sector- and I wanted to see how good the LOD/terrain engine was. I'm pretty impressed, on a P!! 233 @ 262, with 128MB of RAM and a G200 8MB, I was getting a playable framerate very short periods of slow down. It didn't look good at all, but all I wanted to know is if it would even run. Not too shabby. The use of DirectPlay for networking doesn't sound bright.

4. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

I'm slowing working my way through this one. While the game has its pluses (graphics, sound support) it is far too linear and repetitive for any replay value.

5. Saem

Veteran

Yeah, but then it's a short supply of crack like Diablo. lets face it, it's just a "better" version of Diablo, except in that you can have more guys on the screen me thinks.

Regardless, I think the only replay value might come from multiplayer, which I have issues with, the engine is nice, so hopefully they'll work on it some more and then release a game with better gameplay in it. What's really sad is that this game was in the making for 3 years!

6. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Sigh. I bought this one at the weekend and still haven't had the opportunity to try it yet! :(

7. Saem

Veteran

Well, I don't recommend you try and install it and then say to yourself I'll play for 30mins, because you won't, you'll play for 30 hours. For some reason once you start, you just can't stop. I think it has to do with the fact you get rather immediate and visual results that your character is continually improving.

8. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

Saem, I agree that it's Diablo like and like Diablo very addictive. I haven't even tried multiplayer yet.

I don't worry about replay value. RPG's usually last long enough that I'm ready to move on to another game or project by the time I'm finished. I'm also impressed with how well it runs on 2+ year old hardware.

9. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

Well, I finally had the chance to play this now I have a gaming 3D card back in the system and I have to say I really am rather enjoying it! :)

10. Saem

Veteran

Well if I can get DS to grow a brain and sneak past my NAT, maybe we should play a game, I have yet to play MP and i think that's what's mainly keeping me from enjoying the game. If you're up for it, that is.

11. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

Sounds like a plan - you'll have to give me some time to really get used to it though, and then we'll have to find a time where we're both at our computers!

12. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

You know how to mouse-click? well, then, you've mastered DS. :wink:

13. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    Do you think the courts would award compensation to players for damage to the mouse finger tendons?

14. Saem

Veteran

Seeing as there is about a 12 hour difference, that'll be fun.

15. Gollum

Veteran

You gotta admit it requires a lot less clicking than Diablo did/does though, the interface is very streamlined.

16. Saem

Veteran

For those that play, what level and character types do you have?

17. Tahir2

Veteran

I play!

First RPG I ever played and not online... never ever played any game online..

And the reason I got Dungeon Seige? Cos my wife liked the look of the gfx... heh

But I am addicted.. have to try Morrowind :p

EEK!