Dumb question: MSAA vs SSAA, what is the big differences?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Could someone please explain in simple terms what the big difference between the two approaches are? I'm confuzled about some stuff and it'll help me figure it out if I understood the differences 'tween MS & SS better.

nVidia's version of multisampling is a type of antialiasing that focuses its efforts more on edges than on textures. It operates similarly to supersampling in that it upsamples the original image, generating two samples per pixel, but instead of obtaining a separate color value for each sub-sample, it instead "reuses" sub-samples from neighboring pixels to attain higher quality but with less of a frame-buffer bandwidth hit.

Unlike super-sampling, multisampling uses the color from the original sample for all sub-samples, and relies on the sub-samples' positions to achieve its effect, which spares texture memory bandwidth. This method relies on the fact that visible object edges are typically marked by fairly abrupt color changes, and multisampling's visual effect is most palpable at these edges. One assumption that multisampling relies upon, is that high-quality texture filtering and the higher screen resolutions allowed by the newer chips' higher fill rates generally solves the problems of texture shimmering and blurriness. To date, only nVidia's GeForce 3 supports this type of multisampling, though ATI's next-generation R200 will likely have a similar feature as well.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1171858,00.asp

First gen AA was all SS, MS came in with DX8. Better performance, but experience has shown that the "generally solves" comment above was more than a little optimistic.

whistle.gif

digitalwanderer said:
So SS is prettier than MS, but has more of a performance hit? That's what I thought, thanks.
Sort of. Multisampling is only effective on edges, but has a very small performance hit. Supersampling also helps texture aliasing, but is much slower (and generally quite a bit slower than multisampling + anisotropic filtering, and anisotropic filtering improves texture quality more than supersampling).

However, there are cases where texture filtering doesn't get rid of aliasing that supersampling can. The old case is with textures that use an alpha test. More recently we have had an explosion of the use of bump mapping and other pixel shader effects. Bump mapping, in the way it's usually used, doesn't get antialiased properly with texture filtering (there are methods around this, though). It is worth mentioning that given enough developer effort, there is always a way to make texture filtering do the antialiasing for you.

Simply supersampling helps in cases of shader aliasing, multi-sampling doesn't.

Supersampling takes the average of N shader samples per colour (and usually depth as well but it isn't actually required...), whereas multisample uses a single sample per colour but uses a N sampled depth buffer to blend between the colours.

Multi-sampling is much cheaper, as you don't have to run the shader multiple times per pixel...

Note: Any texture lookup is a shader, so its often talked about in terms of textures however its possible to construct non-texture shaders which fail in the multisample case.

DeanoC said:

Supersampling takes the average of N shader samples per colour (and usually depth as well but it isn't actually required...), whereas multisample uses a single sample per colour but uses a N sampled depth buffer to blend between the colours.

Multi-sampling is much cheaper, as you don't have to run the shader multiple times per pixel...

Note: Any texture lookup is a shader, so its often talked about in terms of textures however its possible to construct non-texture shaders which fail in the multisample case.
So in little words SS will be able to work in all the newer games that I can't get MS to work in? :|

Chalnoth said:
It is worth mentioning that given enough developer effort, there is always a way to make texture filtering do the antialiasing for you.
Unfortunately in the console dominated gaming port scene AA does not seem to be very high on the developers effort list lately. :(

Games giving me grief with AA has got to be one of me current highest bitches with gaming.

Murakami said:
Besides, given the same number of samples, MSAA generally does a better work to smooth edges next to SSAA (see here for example).

It depends on sampling grid.

So SS is prettier than MS, but has more of a performance hit?

Mostly, but there are some exceptions (for example MS of gf3ti200 vs. SS of Kyro II + mem. bandwidth limited games)

digitalwanderer said:
So in little words SS will be able to work in all the newer games that I can't get MS to work in? :|
No. MSAA not working at all has nothing to do with the fact that it's multisampling. It has to do with the use of texture render targets. When texture render targets are used, you just can't force FSAA in the driver, and the application must support it.

Murakami said:
Besides, given the same number of samples, MSAA generally does a better work to smooth edges next to SSAA (see here for example).
This is not true. The two techniques offer nearly the exact same edge antialiasing quality (supersampling will be ever so slightly better, everything else the same). The differences you see in the above are due to differences in sample patterns.

digitalwanderer said:
SS is more compatible but still some will fail...

Chalnoth said:
The differences you see in the above are due to differences in sample patterns.
How can the sample patterns be different using the same card? Is the sampling grid software controlled on a GeForce 3 :?:

DeanoC said:

So they introduced the problem and took away the solution in the same DX release? Oops. :p

P.S. Okay, not literally "took away", but as a practical matter it has turned out that way.

Back