"Duke Nukem Forever Physics Topple Half-Life 2's"

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by digitalwanderer, Mar 9, 2005.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

http://www.elitebastards.com/#news9415 :shock:

Sound like someone gots themselves a PPU.....what the f-ck happens if DNF rocks?!?! :shock:

2. digitalwanderer

Legend

Ooops, looks like I was wrong. :oops:

3. ZoinKs!

Regular

Heh, I remember a post by Broussard (or however it's spelled) bragging about the physics engine. What sticks out in my mind went something like "karma engine could toss around 20 boxes at one time but the new engine can handle 200 boxes."

I was like, "Yeah, what we really need is 200 crates on screen at once." :p

Kidding aside, this physics engine sounds sweet. It should suit Duke's "blow up everything" style quite well... assuming the game's ever finished.

4. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Tiles off the wall would be kinda visually cool. A enemy slipping on those tiles would be even cooler.

5. digitalwanderer

Legend

I just wanna see teh jiggly boobies, "who loves ya baby"! [​IMG]

6. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Tecmo. ;)

7. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Re: "Duke Nukem Forever Physics Topple Half-Life 2's&qu

Universe will crash with a division by zero error... ;)

Seriously tho, as much as I love to ridicule this game and the people behind it, I will buy it without a doubt if it's even the least bit damn good.

8. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

So when's it coming out?

9. sonix666

Regular

When it's done!

10. pakotlar

Banned

aka....

never :lol:

11. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

"Duke Nukem Forever Physics Topple Half-Life 2's"

...In others words, imagination is better than reality...

12. ANova

Veteran

Source is capable of all of that today.

13. Inane_Dork

Inane_Dork Rebmem Roines
    Veteran

My imaginary physics engine is better than your actual physics engine.

14. Spaceman-Spiff

Regular

Hmm... how come we're not seeing any screenshots or clips of this "impressive physics engine"?

15. wireframe

Veteran

DNF jokes aside, why would anyone set the bar at Half-Life 2? I thought it had incredibly boring and clunky physics. Certainly nothing exciting. I think Painkiller (Havok) has much more fun physics. It didn't have any real world physics, but the ragdolls were fun and felt right. It gave an impression of mass. Half-Life 2 felt lifeless and objects did not behave as expected. I attribute this to a mismatch where the level of physics detail was 'just wrong' so that you expected more, but were let down. Painkiller restricts itself more but does it right. Far Cry is another example of a mismatch, where some objects behave nicely, but then you have the dropped guns slowly sliding down hill sides forever. It just throws you off and kills the suspension of disbelief. I won't mention Doom 3 more than to say I don't think what it has even qualifies as physics.

16. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Why does every developer make a big deal about their physics before release, and then after release you find it's not really used because:

a) They didn't put enough content or game design into the gameplay to make the physics have any point.

b) The CPU demands are so high, they cut the physics right down to almost nothing.

IMO, only HL2 has actually managed to successfully use a physics engine in game to enhance the playing experience to any significant extent. Almost everything else I've seen either uses the physics as eye candy or non essential stuff that could have been easily faked by hand instead (MP2, UT2K3/4, PK, FC, etc). I don't even think you can count ragdoll as physics, as, characters don't fall like real people with limited range joints and weight - they tend to fall like marionettes, which makes it look very fake.

George, the physics engine is not a big deal. If it's working properly, it shouldn't need a song and dance and 200 boxes for us to beleive it. The gameplay world should "just work" the way we expect the real world to work. We should already understand the rules because we deal with them in real life every day. Then you can say the physics are successful.

17. Spaceman-Spiff

Regular

But they're both the same physics engine.

[​IMG]

18. anaqer

Veteran

Yet Another DNF Thread? Say it ain't so!
    Quick, somebody start one for the Series 5(+n) lest the balance be broken!

19. _xxx_

Banned

Will it be optimized for PowerVR5? :twisted:

20. wireframe

Veteran

Sure, but Painkiller's implementation of it is different. I am not very informed about Havok, but perhaps Half-Life 2 incorporated elements that Havok is not terribly good at. Painkiller, for example, completely avoids physics involving water. Also compare the crossbow in HL2 to the stake gun in PK. The PK stake gun has a much greater arc due to gravity. HL2's crossbow fires like it is in outer space. Maybe this was done to make aiming easier, but for me the PK gun is more intuitive because it feels and acts how things I know in the real world act. Therefore I don't have a problem lobbing a grenade and then pinning it mid-flight with a stake to create an RPG of sorts. In fact, the difficulty introduced by having this gravitational effect is what makes it fun. My brain (and yours) is capable of computing this stuff and if it is used to it, it will be highly annoyed when things don't act as expected. If the basics physics of the world do not correspond to what we are used to from real life, the game must offer some warning and explanation of this.

I also got the feeling that HL2's character models felt very limp and dead when hit. Shooting enemies provided very little feedback and then they just collapse like a marionette once dead, like the ghost left their polygonal bodies. The same is probably true of PK, but it is not so evident, perhaps due to the great hordes of enemies and different bone structure.

Grab a Combine soldier with the grav gun in HL2 and watch how his limbs seem to defy gravity. Use the Painkiller in PK and you get more of a feeling of mass being pulled. Not saying PK is perfect, but it certainly feels more real, like it has mass.