Duke Nukem Forever is Forever

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by PARANOiA, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Personaly I'm thinking that it's a PR Stunt...best way to avoid piracy...fake your death....manufacture those DVDs on the low and finaly announce shipping date. Take 2 didn't say anything besides the strict minimum; that they aren't funding 3Drealms in any way and that they own the DNF publishing rights (they have shareholders, they can't lie about those things). 3Drealms can make you believe whatever the hell they want (they are private).
    Always Bet On Duke!

#161 Ike Turner, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt apparently. :(

3. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Given Broussard's previous ass-hattery, I wouldn't be completely surprised, but it's a pretty forlorn hope. Probably the last chance is for someone to buy what's left of the company/IP assuming the game is actually nearly finished, and get it done. 3DR would have to pretty much sell their souls to get financing, in this climate and with their track record.

Maybe that's why Take 2 wasn't paying anything, but basically getting the rights to distribute if any game was to actually appear.

"When it's done" - looks like 3DR is well and truly done.

#163 Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  4. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Broussard. You and your arguments look a bit silly if you can't even get his name right.

5. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Thanks, fixed. However, misspelling his name doesn't change my meaning. Are you going to correct my grammar next and somehow claim that invalidates my point?

Don't worry, it's only inverted anger on my part - I wanted to see DN4 as much as anyone. I think I still have a copy of DN3D on my shelf here.

6. Sxotty

Veteran

I'm still disappointed. I didn't know there was 3DR fans still though to rub their faces in it, not that that is particularly appealing in any case.

7. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Sad to see people lose their job but as for the DN4E game itself.... meh, it couldn't possibly live up to the expectations anyway.

8. fearsomepirate

fearsomepirate Dinosaur Hunter
    Veteran

I was alluding to 3DR as the upper bound, not the lower bound. Obviously, the shortest length of time a non-producing developer is open is going to be close to zero, since there are developers who have closed their doors almost immediately after releasing a game. Probably someone can find an example of someone closing their doors before launch day.

9. CouldntResist

Regular

I believed it until I read the "pointed chair leg 6 inches to my face" story.

This is not just marketing. This is revenge. Try to imagine acculmulated effect of having to endure being target of mockery for 10 years... all that while bleeding your money for the project... 3DR want to make all mockers look stupid really hard.

T.Sweeney + CliffyB + M.Rein using physical violence in Sopranos style? That's ten times more ridiculous than all DNF jokes combined.

10. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

11. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

All the game needed to be was DN3D with new graphics and I would be enamored with it. Just that level of achievement would be fresh in today's game market.

12. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Very dissapointing :(

13. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

14. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

15. CouldntResist

Regular

16. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Well that's pretty much the Polymer renderer right there anyway :razz:

Essentially DN3D will become DNF, with all the new graphical capabilities available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Jtp_YJ8R0&fmt=22

I mean, just look at that! FYI the level was made intentionally dark to make the lighting more prominent... Given that it's still in Beta and there are a lot of plans for it (there's even talk of actual physics capabilities now), I think it's looking pretty darn good. Survival horror mod? Oh yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZJE9paygY0&fmt=18 (Recorded with the game running in 8bit mode - still looks fricken' nice).

17. V3

V3
    Veteran

Maybe this is their way to get another 10 years worth of development for DNF.

18. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

#178 fellix, May 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2009
  19. sonix666

Regular

Ah, damn! I shouldn't have watched that. Now I am actually really sad that 3D Realms is no more. :(

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

If the game really was that close to completion, I'm surprised 3DR couldn't find the finance from somewhere. My only guess is that they don't want to lose control of the IP. Plus, what publisher is going to want to invest without getting the distribution rights, unless they are getting something else in return?