DS Questions / Concerns

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
So Christmas is fast approaching, and my mother is consequently pushing to know what it is that I want under the tree this year...

I haven't been keeping tabs on the DS hype, but it seems like the only contender in town this holiday season. Hopefully someone can answer these questions:

- does the DS link up with the GC for games like Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles?
- can the DS link up with GBAs to play GBA games multiplayer, ie: Advance Wars? If so, are you restricted to a link cable, or can you use the GBA wireless link thing?
- is the DS region-free? MMmmm.... Super Robot Wars...

I suspect the answer is 'no' to all of the above, but I would be pleased to be proven wrong by someone in the know.

ps: what are the launch games?

This answers one of your questions:

"Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

It may interest you to know that the Nintendo DS will be a universal system that can be played anywhere on the planet. Further, it can play games purchased anywhere. Please note, however, that accessories purchased in different parts of the world may not be compatible with the Nintendo DS you purchase.

I hope you find this information useful!

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

Mitch Crim"

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=7086

pretty sure u can link up to the gba to play gba games . You will just need a special link wire . LIke when the gba first came out and u wanted to play against someone with a color .

Panajev2001a said:
The DS does not have a GBA Link port: so not standard link-play.
And more importantly no GC link-up.
Boy, Nintendo just can't seem to get the connectors right on their portables. First no phono-jack on SP and now this. It seems especially silly after how much they tried to push the GBA to GC link capability.
Maybe they figure that most people who would be interested in that feature already have a GBA?

Squeak said:
Panajev2001a said:
The DS does not have a GBA Link port: so not standard link-play.
And more importantly no GC link-up.
Boy, Nintendo just can't seem to get the connectors right on their portables. First no phono-jack on SP and now this. It seems especially silly after how much they tried to push the GBA to GC link capability.
Maybe they figure that most people who would be interested in that feature already have a GBA?

Or, as I suspected, Nintendo wants you to buy both systems.

thop said:
That's true, but maybe the DS will allow for wireless linking of GBA games?
Wireless linking of GBA games played on DS'es? Probably. Wireless linking of DS'es to GBA's all playing the same GBA game? No. The DS and GBA wireless adaptor run at different wavelengths.

And no, strangely I haven't heard a word about linking the DS to the GameCube yet, which makes me wonder. (As if they had definite plans they would certainly be lauding that by now. It may just be coming down the pipe.)

why would u connect a last gen console system to a next gen portable ? surely the ns5 will link to the ds

1. No, I don't think the DS can link up to gamecube, or other gbas for that matter. It only offers single player backwards compatibility, the DS doesn't have a gba link port.

2. No, the ds can't link up with gbas, and I don't even think it can link up with other dses to play gba games.(the wireless link that comes with pokemon fire red and leaf green only works for pokemon, so if they couldn't get that to work I doubt the integrated wireless will work either)

3. Yes, it's region free.

And according to Reggie it's unlikely that gamecube will link to DS, but certainly possible.

jvd said:
why would u connect a last gen console system to a next gen portable ? surely the ns5 will link to the ds
Why wouldn't you want to encourage linking of any device you're currently supporting to any other device you're currently supporting? The Cube has years yet of co-existance with the DS until N5 comes out. Also, considering all the press and promise Nintendo has been saying about the GC/GBA link, just how would it look to let the DS slack off from it?

Is it difficult to enable? No. Then do it. Even if Nintendo is the only one to really use the link, it still counts heavily on their platform, and starts the groundworks on what to do down the line. Heck, they would be well served by creating a "wireless station" that could connect to Wavebirds, GBA's, and DS'es to show just what connectivity means and how to enable it. (Not to mention it would probably sell more of that device and more of the GBA wireless adaptor. ;) )

Nintendo has lots of synergy between their products, and at this point they would be best served by promoting ALL of it. Even if it's only bit-by-bit right now, eventually it will steamroll.

Why wouldn't you want to encourage linking of any device you're currently supporting to any other device you're currently supporting? The Cube has years yet of co-existance with the DS until N5 comes out. Also, considering all the press and promise Nintendo has been saying about the GC/GBA link, just how would it look to let the DS slack off from it?
years ? the ds is coming out in late november , at the most its going to have a year and a half with the gamecube.

secondly they still have the gc/gba link remember they aren't going to stop selling the gbas . The ds is a third pillar .

Is it difficult to enable? No. Then do it
The cube has no wifi support ,t he ds doesn't have the link like the gba does . Perhaps it would have added unneeded money to the system that they felt would be better spent some where else .

Not only that but its only a hand full of tittles that support the gc/gba link . And as i said above you can still get gameboy advances to use this feature .

, they would be well served by creating a "wireless station" that could connect to Wavebirds, GBA's, and DS'es to show just what connectivity means and how to enable

The problem is they all use diffrent tech to acomplish what they want and it will most likely be very expensive for a console that is nearing the end of its life.

Only ff uses the sony hardrive but why wouldn't they have the pstwo able to use the hardrive ? Was it difficult to enable ? No . Then do it . But they didn't and they had thier reasons and I'm sure nintnedo will have thiers .

Nintendo has lots of synergy between their products, and at this point they would be best served by promoting ALL of it. Even if it's only bit-by-bit right now, eventually it will steamroll.
How do u know thats not what they are gearing up to do .

Perhaps the reveloution will have wifi built in and the ds will hook up to it through that and usher in a new lvl of snyergy that the gc and gba link couldn't do

years ? the ds is coming out in late november , at the most its going to have a year and a half with the gamecube. [/quote]
Oh yes, I've forgotten how nothing worthwhile would come out in a year and a half. :p
secondly they still have the gc/gba link remember they aren't going to stop selling the gbas . The ds is a third pillar .
Which, IMHO, they already compromised by including GBA compatability directly at launch in the DS. Not to mention that they're already linking their "separate pillars" so what would "pillarhood" have to do with linking/not-linking anyway? (Plus, the DS eventually will supplant the GBA entirely. It would likely be best to keep that in mind as early as possible while pushing GBA/DS/GC/etc linking of any sort.)

They would simply be better off showing "hey, it doesn't matter what Nintendo device you get, they'll ALL do cool things with each other." The DS being more complex would benefit more from being looked at earlier in this way.
Not only that but its only a hand full of tittles that support the gc/gba link . And as i said above you can still get gameboy advances to use this feature .
So you get another handful? Big deal, at least it would be THERE. And get plenty more development time to look at just what it can do and offer. Unless it would be truly cost-prohibitive (which I doubt), there doesn't seem to be any reason to ignore it.

The problem is they all use diffrent tech to acomplish what they want and it will most likely be very expensive for a console that is nearing the end of its life.
A) I doubt "very expensive" would be the case. B) It would be paid off by the consumers who want it anyway, even if they took no profit from it. C) It lets them gauge how the pubic interest in such things shifts over time. And most importantly D) Nintendo and Sony and most importantly other big publishers have already maintained that they will not be abandoning this generation the instant next one hits, and are interested in prolonging their lifespan; this is quite obviously a way to keep their gaming experience more fresh and interesting over time.
Only ff uses the sony hardrive but why wouldn't they have the pstwo able to use the hardrive ? Was it difficult to enable ? No . Then do it . But they didn't and they had thier reasons and I'm sure nintnedo will have thiers .
Yes, and I think Sony's reason was dumb too. I know they needed to exclude the bay as a design compromise, but they could certainly have included it through means of one more port and an external device (yay, another thing to sell, too!) Their wishy-washiness on both these matters I would find to be extremely silly. It's their right to back away from things they previously lauded, formerly wished to push, and would have been better for we-the-gamer, and it's my right to bitchslap them for it.
Perhaps the reveloution will have wifi built in and the ds will hook up to it through that and usher in a new lvl of snyergy that the gc and gba link couldn't do
I'm sure it will. But that isn't something that currently "can't be done" right now. The GBA, DS, and GC all have wireless capabilities--just how hard would it be to fine-tune them and bring them together? I'd rather see the groundworks built now, as it would translate to better things when N5 does show up, and would make the gaming experiences more diverse now and add to the interest and continued lifespan of the platforms down the line.

The only thing I can see Nintendo gaining by waiting for it until N5 shows is by being able to use it as an "all new" marketing point; which I think would be pretty damn silly.

rabidrabbit said:
...zurich has a mother :oops:

I should hope you do too :p

Only reason I'm concerned about the GC link up is that a couple of friends 'took the plunge' on Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords by buying GBAs, and I'm the last one to hold out. I was hoping that a DS would solve that problem, but apparently not..

Only reason I'm concerned about the GC link up is that a couple of friends 'took the plunge' on Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords by buying GBAs, and I'm the last one to hold out.

Its ok, your friends will probably get a DS anyway once Four Swords and Chrystal Chronicles comes out for that (already announced) :)

Teasy said:
Only reason I'm concerned about the GC link up is that a couple of friends 'took the plunge' on Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords by buying GBAs, and I'm the last one to hold out.

Its ok, your friends will probably get a DS anyway once Four Swords and Chrystal Chronicles comes out for that (already announced) :)

Somehow I doubt it :p

Zurich

Why?, surely both games would be more suited to DS (with its excellent wireless features). Although admittedly I don't know that much about either game..

My guess is that it would depend on how much more the DS version offers over the GBA. And of course if his friends are burnt out on the gameplay as well.

Back