DRM going way to far

silence said:
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

It seems like some Sony music CDs install rootkits on your computer.... read the article.
This one is really nasty piece of shit....

Another brand to avoid. We are loosing control of our computers with companies installing unwanted software and low level device drives.

If i install UFO:Aftershock then listen to a Sony CD on my PC. Does this mean that all HDD/CD I/O access called by Windows has to go via Window API to Starforce low level device driver, then to Sony low level device driver.

Windows API <-> StarForce(hook) <-> Sony CD(hook) <-> CD/HDD

That or StarForce and Sony CD break each other. I can see computers getting slower and slower.

yeah, but starforce you can see (as far as i remember) in processes in TM, but this is bloody root kit, it hides itself completlly, guy found out about it only cause he was searching for root kits.... which are one of most dangerous hacking tools.....

with starforce there is removal tool available and they even have forums where you can discuss about it.... even though i find starforce annoying, they are open about it....

this POS is totally different... i mean how can you protect yourself from something you cant even see anywhere? fucking Sony, i aint gonna buy anything from them ever.... fuckers...
i have no problem with companies using DRM, its their right, but installing root kits without informing users?.... thats waaaay over the line.

digitalwanderer said:
People leave "autorun" enabled in windows? :???:

most do.... how many people know how to deactivate it? you seem to forget you are around people that acctually know few things about computers.... 99% of users have no clue....

thats why you have so many PC infected with spyware and that kind of crap....

silence said:
most do.... how many people know how to deactivate it? you seem to forget you are around people that acctually know few things about computers.... 99% of users have no clue....

People still put CD's in their computers?! :???:

;)

silence said:

Yeah, I do keep forgetting that. :oops: It gets embarrassing when I talk to people in real life and forget about that. :???:

digitalwanderer said:
Yeah, I do keep forgetting that. :oops: It gets embarrassing when I talk to people in real life and forget about that. :???:

yeah, i get that "WTF??" face when i start telling them about security and acctual threats.... next thing "is that really possible?????".... and i didnt even come to worst parts....

people think they can plug their Win PC to the net and be safe.... when you tell them that average time of non-protected Win PC on net before infection is under 10 minutes they are like :oops: :oops: .......

and now this.... music CDs by world known publishers that install root kits.... just try to explain whats root kit to someone described above....

silence said:
and now this.... music CDs by world known publishers that install root kits.... just try to explain whats root kit to someone described above....

Just call it a virus, it installs itself on your computer without your knowledge then causes you trouble.

I won't be buying anything off sony for a couple of years, I havn't bought anything off certain other companys for lesser reasons.

i can already hear "but why would they put virus".....

"weeeeeelll, its not like other viruses, it <insert long explanation with technical details>

.......:oops: :oops: "so what does that mean, its not a virus?".....

<bang head to wall>

thats prolly how it would end if you try to explain root kit to someone who knows to turn on computer and click few icons and is lost if you even move any of 250 icons he/she has on desktop.....

As someone said, it's a ridiculous state of affairs when downloading stuff from a P2P network is actually safer than buying it direct from the publisher. What happens if someone goes into work and plays one of these CDs and it conflicts with software on the machine? Who's going to pay for the cleanup? Are the RIAA merely going to handwave and place the blame on "piracy"?

Way to go, idiots at Sony.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
As someone said, it's a ridiculous state of affairs when downloading stuff from a P2P network is actually safer than buying it direct from the publisher. What happens if someone goes into work and plays one of these CDs and it conflicts with software on the machine? Who's going to pay for the cleanup? Are the RIAA merely going to handwave and place the blame on "piracy"?

Way to go, idiots at Sony.

you really hit the nail here... between downloading music from p2p and having root kit installed ....weee... what should i choose? root kit offcourse, these are really nice pieces of software that you simply have to have...:rolleyes:

:devilish:

ANova said:
If I see something I want to buy labeled as DRM protected, I download it instead.
I can understand this. Up until very recently I was very much against stealing music online. However, after buying the Colplay album X&Y I was confronted with CD music protection in its most evil form: you must install a "driver" to be able to listen to this CD on a computer without having it skip while playing. Because I did not feel that this "driver" was adequately explained or that I had some insurance against it malfunctioning, I decided not to install it...and haven't listened to that particular album. I would not feel terrible about downloading that album illegally (I am sure it can be ripped and that this protection scheme only impedes the masses). That way I would actually be able to listen to what I paid for while sitting at my computer...which would be nice.

I now pay very careful attention to CDs before buying. I don't care that I liked CDs in the past. Digital living has changed my lifestyle and I am not going back to swapping discs. It's too bad that this has, in effect, killed all my enthusiasm for acquiring new music. Thank god I spent a fortune on CDs during the 90s or I'd have nothing to listen to.

As a sidenote, I am very perplexed about these copy protection schemes. I understand that the owners want to protect their assets, but I really doubt that it is working as they intended. All you need is one (one!!!) copy and then the spreading can begin. Like a virus, it will multiply until there are thousands of copies in a single day...and this is for something people don't care about. It would be trivial to spread a song or a CD to the entire networked planet. I once calculated how long it would take before "everyone" had it and the answer was in hours.

For example, this Coldplay album that I mentioned. Let's pretend that this CD protection is 100% bullet proof for playing back on PCs. What's the problem? Play it back on a high quality CD player and capture the analogue feed, even clean this up and improve it, before compressing and you're done!

What I do see is that people who are embracing the new digital lifestyle, people with means and were likely to be big spenders on all "good things" are now probably thinking twice before buying music and any hesitation can snowball into complete abstinence. Why wouldn't a high tech savvy person with means and wanting the "good things in life" rather spend that extra money on a fiber 24Mbps internet link to complement the house's internal gigabit network? These schemes are pushing people away, not from the product, but from the normal/legal supply chain.

PS. I also often wondered about these CD protection schemes for computer games. Sometimes I wonder if spending $500,000 on protection is not money wasted. At $50 a pop, to make this easy, that's 10,000 copies of the game. I think people who buy legally will continue to do so, for the most part, whether they are warned about protection or not. It's like how we all don't suddenyl commit crimes just because there isn't a police officer around. Those who steal will continue to do so and there is very little that can be done without a fully implemented system that goes far beyond bizarre CD writing strategies coupled with special drivers and virtual hardware decoders.

Long ranting post...but I had to do it!

Agreed. Not only that but I'm very much opposed to record companies taking the large majority of the profits from the artists that actually deserve it. Music is also extremely overpriced.

I haven't bought a CD in ages. But I also didn't dl anything in the meantime. The reason: all the new stuff I've heard in the last few years is either utter crap or a copy of something we've heard in a better version already.

And yes, music is definitely overpriced, just like games.

Back