Driverheaven.net interview Nvidia's Derek Perez

Just loved this passage:

We will continue to do application specific performance optimizations and compatibility fixes. We met with Futuremark and discussed the optimizations they questioned. They now have a better understanding of the technology – and I think you’ll see them endorse our methodology.

Why does this paint an image in my mind of a Futuremark employee strapped to a chair under a bright spotlight in an otherwise darkened room, as an Nvidia employee emerges from the shadows holding a threatening-looking piece of dental equipment?

"Now, let's discuss what constitutes an optimisation, shall we?"

:oops:

:devilish: Bring... The soft pillow ! :devilish:

When reading PR interviews, it's always interesting to see multi-part questions only partially answered, as it points to what the company (or the spokeperson) doesn't want to discuss... An example :

Zardon: How long have you worked with nvidia and do you enjoy working for the company?

Derek: I’ve been with the company for over 5 years now.

cellarboy said:
Just loved this passage:

We will continue to do application specific performance optimizations and compatibility fixes. We met with Futuremark and discussed the optimizations they questioned. They now have a better understanding of the technology – and I think you’ll see them endorse our methodology.

Why does this paint an image in my mind of a Futuremark employee strapped to a chair under a bright spotlight in an otherwise darkened room, as an Nvidia employee emerges from the shadows holding a threatening-looking piece of dental equipment?

"Now, let's discuss what constitutes an optimisation, shall we?"

:oops:

I saw it more as a "How many lights do you see" moment...

Stu

Zardon: Is there any validity to the claims made by the INQ that nVidias PS2.0 part of the detonators is faulty at the minute?

Derek: No – this is not true.

And thus did nVidia admit that their shader performance was just plain crap.

Patric Ojala said:
I think you’ll see them endorse our methodology.
/me looks around, but can't see any endorsements. :LOL:
Uhm, accepting them back in the program and not calling them out for blatantly cheating kind of counts as an endorsement. :(

I was VERY disapointed in Mr.Perez's answers, and I'm getting real tired of his condescending manner towards the enthusiasts crowd. :(

Patric Ojala said:

I hope you guys will be as forthcoming in laying out what you're doing with your partners now as you were in laying out the original audit report. A nice statement from you fellas clarifying things would be welcome and help to squelch the "nVidia's manipulating FM with the carrot and the stick" rumors that are circulating wildly in the absence of such a statement. Apparently Perez has picked up on that sentiment and is using it to imply the kind of influence within your company you state above doesn't exist.

I think with the intentional damage nVidia has inflicted on your company over the past several months through its consistently negative attitude towards your products this apparent about face in the relationship needs a bit of clarification, don't you?

(IMO, the questions are not going to diminish over time.)

A nice statement from you fellas clarifying things would be welcome and help to squelch the "nVidia's manipulating FM with the carrot and the stick" rumors that are circulating wildly in the absence of such a statement

That wouldn't help much Walt IMO, Futuremark has already proven they were manipulated by a IHV that wasn't even in the BETA program. That is a slap in the face to paying full time members.

To be honest, 3Dmark has proven that the 'benchmark' is controlled by the graphic card companies, instead of being written around the API it is supposed to be demonstrating.

This a prime opportunity for a small company to make another 3D benchmark, something that isn't so political .

Zardon: What kind of integrated graphics can we expect in the future. Pretty much all solutions up to now quite frankly suck even for the “average joe†when it comes to performance.

Derek: As we all know – integrated graphics lag behind standalone graphics. And to be quite honest – I don’t think you’ll ever see it catch up. And if you look at the difference – I’m not sure why anyone would want to use integrated graphics. The image quality and performance can’t match up to anything you can get in a desktop GPU.

Is he slamming his own company's IGP-based chipsets?

Gautham Arumilli said:
Is he slamming his own company's IGP-based chipsets?

No, I think he's just pointing out that integrated 3d solutions will never be competitive with full-blown desktop 3d reference cards in terms of performance and capability. Integrated graphics cores are an economic concession rather than a technological coup. I have seen all kinds of unrealistic expectations generated for integrated solutions through the years, and he's probably responding to that kind of sentiment. This may also be his way of telling people not to look for nv35 IGPs anytime soon...;) (Which really amounts to the same thing, IMO.)

just me said:
Patric Ojala said:

:oops: Now that hit me outta the blue! Stand by it Patric, is all I ask. 8)

AFAIK Futuremark has no official statement for the new Nvidia drivers. If you find some text that claim otherwise, it most likely did not originate from our company. The 45.23 drivers seem like the best GFFX drivers released so far, but this is not an official statement of our company, it's just my personal opinion :D

Patric Ojala said:
just me said:
Patric Ojala said:

:oops: Now that hit me outta the blue! Stand by it Patric, is all I ask. 8)

AFAIK Futuremark has no official statement for the new Nvidia drivers. If you find some text that claim otherwise, it most likely did not originate from our company. The 45.23 drivers seem like the best GFFX drivers released so far, but this is not an official statement of our company, it's just my personal opinion :D
Could you please ask nVidia to quit saying that FM said stuff it didn't say then, please?

I dunno how you, guys, feel it but... for me it's still arrogant style. Yes, less arrogant than they were last year but still too much yak-yak and BSin' if the question is sensitive. They're talking about changes, new approaches etc. but style of the speech is still the same ol'...

PS: I think NV should have go down first then clean out arrogant **sholes and come back again... that's the way it goes...

Back