Driver stability: AMD vs. nVidia

Discussion in 'Tools and Software' started by ToTTenTranz, Jul 16, 2018.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

The study can be found on AMD's website, which makes me believe they were by AMD to make the tests:

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/graphics-driver-quality.pdf

Regardless, the tests and their protocol seem valid, so unless the consulting firm is outright lying, the results seem satisfactory for AMD.

2. Ryan Smith

Regular

I dug into the report a bit between meetings. Overall the methodology is sound, but I find the OS and driver selection odd. Win10 1803 was a bug-riddled mess, and they didn't use NVIDIA's official 1803 drivers for Quadro (R396), which were out at the time.

I think given the terrible state of Windows it's a feather in AMD's cap to only crash out 7% of the time. But I don't know if it's very comparable to NV given the driver choice. I'm also curious how the numbers would look under 1709; I bet everyone's stability would be much higher.

pharma likes this.
  3. DavidGraham

Veteran

Most of the crashes happened on Quadros and FirePros, the mismatched driver is among the causes for that. Geforces vs Radeons have comparable results.

4. ToTTenTranz

With the study having been ordered by AMD, I suspected it would have some shady decisions like that.

5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Or this 3rd party is simply incompetent. Either way seems just a PR piece for investors. Yawn.

pharma likes this.
  6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well, that seems to back up my personal long term experience. Granted the last AMD card I've used is the R9 290, but damn that card and drivers were rock solid over extended use.

I really wish I could say the same for the 1070. I like the card. I absolutely hate NV's drivers.

Regards,
    SB

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  7. pharma

Veteran Regular

AMD Claims To Have Worlds Most Stable Driver – But Supplied All Graphics Cards Tested
    Typical AMD marketing ...
    Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-cla...phics-cards-tested_206705#2QvtKk5WEIHWogCP.99

#7 pharma, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y likes this.