Driver-applied MLAA on D3D9 games like GTA 4?

Btw, as someone on gaf noticed, the new driver changes the monitor color temperature from 6500 to 6600 giving everything a different hue. Change it back in CCC by going to "desktop & displays" right clicking on monitor in bottom and configure in the color tab.

Here's Mass Effect 2, taken with windows snipping tool. Top picture no AA, bottom MLAA:
me2comblarge.png

Yes. But AMD says, that MLAA is done via DirectCompute. You need DX11 installed to use direct compute. And it's not possible to install DX11 on WinXP... so? :neutral:
What if it is not compatible with the presentation for DX9/10? DX9/10 game does not use a compute shader.

mlaa.jpg

LOL! Got it working in the end though. :D

Got a hold of AMD's MLAA tool. My source didn't have instructions, but we managed to figure it out. Its a command line tool to process screenshots. However, I don't think its realtime. When I used AMD's MLAA tool on a screenshot where MLAA was off, it applied MLAA. If I used it on a screenshot that already had MLAA, it applied more. Basically, I think anyone can use it on existing screenshots as long as they are in .PNG format to check out MLAA.

Here's the tool:
Edit: Link removed. It seems this tool is still under NDA. Neither me nor my source though this was still under NDA. I posted this tool at WSGF and AMD asked it to be removed, since its under NDA. As a courtesy, I'm also removing it elsewhere I've posted it.

Example on how to use it:
Extract the file to c:\mlaa
Make a directory in c:\mlaa and call it output
Put all the .png images you want processed in c:\mlaa
Select start menu -> run and enter cmd.exe to open command promt.
write as following:
cd \
cd mlaa
mlaa -in c:\mlaa -out c:\mlaa\output
All the images in mlaa will now be processed and put in c:\mlaa\output with MLAA_ added to their filename. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap, based on those screens this seems to work really well! Definitely gonna be a huge factor in my next GPU purchase :cool:

As for taking screenshots, couldn't they simply release a tool that applied their MLAA technique to screenshots that you took without AA? Theoretically the results should be identical to what you see when playing the game with MLAA enabled.

As for taking screenshots, couldn't they simply release a tool that applied their MLAA technique to screenshots that you took without AA? Theoretically the results should be identical to what you see when playing the game with MLAA enabled.
Tamlin just wrote that the tool does just that.

Btw, as someone on gaf noticed, the new driver changes the monitor color temperature from 6500 to 6600 giving everything a different hue. Change it back in CCC by going to "desktop & displays" right clicking on monitor in bottom and configure in the color tab.
Thanks, that has been driving me nuts! Weird how 6500 is different than all the other settings right around there, I find 7000 to be about right on mine.

EDITED BITS: Tamlin's tool is the same one AMD sent out to reviewers. I believe the official instructions for use were something like:
"mlaa.exe –in <directory of .PNG files to process> -out <directory to output the processed files>", if that helps any. :)

Check out these comparisons! I'm impressed. If to judge by the fraps numbers on Gothic 4, there were no performance hit going from no aa to MLAA and the results were great:
link

I used to be a non believer. I didn't think any post process method would be very good at producing reasonably FSAA. That has changed now. The MLAA works brilliantly well in the games I've tried it in. For better or worse it will also mean that AMD wont have to issue driver updates to enable AA in games that aren't compatible with multisampling, cause people can fall back to MLAA. The process screwing around with text is a little annoying, but in the games I've played it hasn't been a game breaker.

It's not perfect though, but considering it's almost free and works in any game, i really won't complain. In fact i love it! Finally AMD has put compute shaders to a good use. AVIVO transcoder is useless at best and runs on CPU most of the time, but MLAA is anything but useless.

Back