Driver-applied MLAA on D3D9 games like GTA 4?

Technically, everything that runs on the ALUs is IL based (well it's a binary compiled from IL). IL is blind to the version of DirectX and operating system.

Yes. But AMD says, that MLAA is done via DirectCompute. You need DX11 installed to use direct compute. And it's not possible to install DX11 on WinXP... so? :neutral:

Depends on which part of AMD says that - considering who does the talking for the company these days, and what the target market for the talks is, saying "yeah, we wrote some IL" somehow lacks the same appeal as clamoring about use of the industry standard. I'll eat a tasty hat if at least 1 line of HLSL is involved in their implementation, or if anything goes through a DX interface.

Ask yourself this - how have they been supporting the custom resolves in DX9 for all these years? Then ask yourself if one can peachily use OCL under WinXP (the question isn't random, there's a link). Which is not to say they'll expose the MLAA support, mind you, but the reasons are hardly technical ones IMHO.

Yes. But AMD says, that MLAA is done via DirectCompute. You need DX11 installed to use direct compute. And it's not possible to install DX11 on WinXP... so? :neutral:
I has no clue, sorry. If I knew I'd tell ya, but I've pretty much already said all I know.

Oh, you can't do screenshots of it since it's post process. They put out a small app to mock up screenshots of it, but I haven't played with it much yet. I'm still working with GTA4 and being amazed. :LOL:

Weird thing. Enabling MLAA and forcing any level of AA in GTA4 sends the framerate plummeting from 60fps to 17-21fps for me. (Depending if it's on 4x or 8x, also note I'm running with v-sync on) But if I check the app select box and the MLAA box I get 57.5fps and AA in-game. :oops:

Still not sure why, but it does work. :yep2:

Looks like real AA too, not just blur. Me likey-likes, this has some potential to it.

They may just not bother allocating the man-hours to a dying OS that really their hardware is not suitable for anyway.

Davros should say goodbye to the shrine and do the deed already, then AMD can forget about XP forever more.

Well if you call your self a "real"PC gamer. you have a XP box and a Win7 box.( also a old game box). If you call your self a real gamer who loves IQ, then you will have a 4.gz CPU and more System Ram than you can use.
As for me i can run many XPish Games on win7 NP.

Well said Karlotta, well said!

Oh, you can't do screenshots of it since it's post process. They put out a small app to mock up screenshots of it, but I haven't played with it much yet. I'm still working with GTA4 and being amazed. :LOL:

I assume one needs a capture card. Hey how about some offscreens but upclose?

Also since GTAIV has tons of small details thus there will be lots of subpixel sized polygons, how does it end up looking?

Looks like real AA too, not just blur. Me likey-likes, this has some potential to it.

Well it is MLAA.

Also since GTAIV has tons of small details thus there will be lots of subpixel sized polygons, how does it end up looking?
Surprisingly nice! I was gonna just take some pictures of my monitor with a camera, but apparently my daughter stole the camera for something at school. :???:

I'll post some picts up in a couple of three hours, ok? Sorry, I was supposed to have a review up last night too but I'm a tad bit behind again. :oops:

They may just not bother allocating the man-hours to a dying OS that really their hardware is not suitable for anyway.

Davros should say goodbye to the shrine and do the deed already, then AMD can forget about XP forever more.
LOL, best is to just buy another HDD(40$?) and start the second coming of the sacred shrine dx10+ games, and OGL4,(SCSS10+)

I has no clue, sorry. If I knew I'd tell ya, but I've pretty much already said all I know.

Weird thing. Enabling MLAA and forcing any level of AA in GTA4 sends the framerate plummeting from 60fps to 17-21fps for me. (Depending if it's on 4x or 8x, also note I'm running with v-sync on) But if I check the app select box and the MLAA box I get 57.5fps and AA in-game. :oops:

Still not sure why, but it does work. :yep2:

So it definitely works in GTA4. :cool:

Now I'm jealous, hurry up with the screenshots, damnit! :LOL:

Could somebody here with an HD5000 board and the new Catalyst try and confirm this method for enabling MLAA in CCC:
Start the Regedit (/REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000) and look for MLF_NA. So change 1 to 0 and restart the CCC.
If MLF_NA is not available: Add it (and under UMD)!

10.10a Hotfix drivers with 5xxx series MLAA support slipstreamed, simply download and install! :smile:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5h6cpooivo4sbox

Thanks to mr_nothin at GAF for providing the file.

Now hurry up and leak that AMD capture tool digitalwanderer. ;)

Edit: Be sure to restart your computer after installing this or it won't show up. If it still doesn't then try doing this:

You can try to add MLAA manually:
Start the Regedit (/REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000) and look for MLF_NA. So change 1 to 0 and restart the CCC.
If MLF_NA is not available: Add it!
Restart computer

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really think you even need that I would think using an app like the snipping tool would do it.

Apparently the RadeonPro team is already working on adding MLAA support. So that means the ability to apply it per application and possibly even force it in titles where it doesn't currently work (like BC2).

I don't really think you even need that I would think using an app like the snipping tool would do it.

Good idea, should definitely work for games running in windowed mode, at least.

Someone try it out for us Nvidia users to see, please! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. Thanks for the linked file. I just tried it on ME2. Seems to work well, there is a bit of blurring on menu letters, but otherwise looks pretty good.

Back