Dressing up as US soldiers now (well maybe)

Sxotty

Legend
And I must say that I don't always believe everything I hear, so this is likely not to be occuring, but if it is man that has to be a rude awakening.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,82098,00.html
Meanwhile, senior Defense officials told Fox News that intelligence reports indicate that Iraqi forces — either special Republican Guard forces or Fedayeen Saddam terrorists — in and around Basra are dressing up as U.S. soldiers, then accepting the surrender of other Iraqi forces and executing them.

Anyway I think it would be really ineffective all the people who want to surrender have to do is find real coalition forces which should not be hard, and plus what if they shoot the Fedayeen (who are not really terrorists, more like the gestapo)

Sxotty said:
Anyway I think it would be really ineffective all the people who want to surrender have to do is find real coalition forces which should not be hard, and plus what if they shoot the Fedayeen (who are not really terrorists, more like the gestapo)

We'll consider if they shot a few civilians for the local audience or Al-Jazeera. That would probably be pretty effective(Cross my fingers that something like this never happens).

We'll consider if they shot a few civilians for the local audience or Al-Jazeera. That would probably be pretty effective(Cross my fingers that something like this never happens).

My sentiments and fears exactly. Besides FOXNews, I saw the same thing on CNN and MSNBC, so it doesn't seem to be just a case of misinformation. They're using UK uniforms as well. It just makes me sick.

Not to get the Geneva Convention thing started up again, but I know that it protects those in uniform...does it protect those fighting in the enemy's uniform?

does it protect those fighting in the enemy's uniform?

No, technically that would qualify them as spies which pretty much means they're fair game for pretty anything you want to do them...

Personally, I find all the hoopoola over the Geneva convention downright silly... I don't think there's ever been an military conflict that's adhered to the Geneva convention (ok, maybe Grenada). As it is, CoTW forces are also in violation in several categories and Rumsfeld (the chief protagonist with regards to raising the issue) just looks like a doofus for constantly bringing it up...

As for me? If I were captured, I'd definately want to be aired on TV (even if I'm roughed up a little) because it lets my government know my status, and my family know that I'm alive and not MIA. I my family and friends would also want the same thing (it seems to be the general consensus of those who have been POWs and their families)...

If I were captured, I'd definately want to be aired on TV (even if I'm roughed up a little) because it lets my government know my status, and my family know that I'm alive and not MIA.

Agreed. I would also hold out hope that the military intelligence would be able to pick something out of the tape that would help give my location. A sound, a small flash of land...something that may lead to my rescue.

who do you think is following the geneva convention more closely, the CoTW or the Iraqis? I hear that the republican guards/fatewah(sp?) executed some of the soldiers while they were surrendering infront of the townspeople. Im almost positive thats illegal. Hey, ididnt expect them to follow the rules.

later,

archie4oz said:
Personally, I find all the hoopoola over the Geneva convention downright silly... I don't think there's ever been an military conflict that's adhered to the Geneva convention

No, probably not on all accounts. But I should think that the Geneva convention just existing and being held in high regard in the rest of the world deters people from doing even worse things. It's a bit like laws in general; people break them, but that doesn't mean laws should be scrapped. Even bank robbers don't want to kill everyone in the bank; perhaps not primarily out of respect for the law, but because they know they will be in worse trouble if they did.
Thus, I think hoopoola over the Geneva convention is a good thing, even if it isn't followed all the time.

Back