Dreams : new Create & Share by Media Molecule

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by TEEDA, Jun 17, 2015.

1. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Not happening. It's been like this for months, with many, many copyrighted stuff. The thing here is that these are just artistic creations, so to speak. The creators don't make any money out of it. It would be like asking people to stop drawing fanart.

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Not making money isn't the issue. Make a Mario clone and release it for free, and Nintendo will crush you. You can't rob them of earnings from their IP. If Nintendo feel Mario content is going to impact their brand, they will act. They legally have to, really. Though probably through Sony rather than the law courts. It won't just be Nintendo either. If Dreams becomes effectively a development tool, it'll be held to the same copyright laws as any other dev-tool. You won't be allowed to remake Halo or Sonic in Dreams any more than you would in Unity or Unreal Engine.

BRiT likes this.
  3. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Well, yes, it's not just about the developers making money, but I meant these are just meant to be little experiments or just artistic creations rather than full games. There may be a blurred line in some cases, though.

Let's see what happens while we enjoy the ride. :mrgreen:

4. seahorsesaw

Newcomer

I see what you did there.

milk and eloyc like this.
  5. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Honestly, I didn't. But yeah, I guess I did. :lol:

6. chris1515

Veteran Regular

7. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

8. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

There have been take down orders over the years for some free artistic creations that impinge too closely onto or were deemed too harmful for a given IP.

It's fairly rare for a lot of reasons, however. Not the least of which is that often, free artistic creations (versus a game or a game demo) are viewed by the company as free advertising for the game. Also, unless it becomes really popular it may not even reach the notice of their legal department. And then, of course, you have to show in court how it either impinges too closely on an established product/IP or how it can cause material harm to an IP.

That last bit is harder to do with something that is purely art versus something that is a playable game, demo, mod, or level. Hence you see far more takedown requests for the latter.

Regards,
    SB

eloyc likes this.
  10. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Ball world adventures Part 1 and Part 2 are almost as good as Super Monkey Ball. It's one of the most impressive Dreams creation and one of the rare dream that feels like a real game. You can even reduce the level of details to make it run smoother.

I really like how responsive the whole thing is. Media molecule really learned from the critics of their previous games (sluggish controls in LittleBigPlanet creations).

Part 1 is easier. this is Part 2. I really recommend those 2 dreams. This is what Super Monkey Ball 3 should have being:

chris1515, eloyc and Karamazov like this.