Dreams : new Create & Share by Media Molecule

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by TEEDA, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Yes, the first thing to learn is to master the controls in 3D. But I think 3D interface and 3D IDE is the future of software development.

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

There are far better 3D interfaces on PC apps, using a mouse and keyboard.

3. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

You can pin stuff into a "paper" that "sticks to the screen"

Sorry I can't remember what are the correct terms and where the features are.

4. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Did you do the basic navigation tutorial? This shows a lot of ways of dealing with this.

Perhaps Dreams needs to have grids enabled by default until you’ve done enough tutorials.

If I would be targeting this at kids, I would probably throw in a Minecraft mode. Start with blocks on a grid, and then slowly start adding all the freedom that Dreams provides from there.

Your ‘far better tools on PC’ comment is, imho, a bit out there.

5. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

[Of course! And there are lots of movement options, and to get good at them will require time and practice, same as Blender. I did not come away from the tutes with a Dreams Mindset. In revisiting, I was all over the shop fumbling around with opening and closing the wrong things. It's an interface that has no intuitiveness and has to be learnt, plain and simple. There are no intrinsic ergonomics to pressing L1+O or R2 then L2.

What? How do you get from "far better 3D interfaces" to "far better tools"? I've yet to encounter a 3D modeller yet on PC where my cursor wobbles around as I try to place objects... Seriously, trying to cut a hole with the cutter waving around is just frustrating and cannot be classed as a 'comparatively good interface'. It's at best passable and functional. And nothing comes close to the physicality of LBP where you'd move objects until they collide, and then glue them together.

BRiT likes this.
  6. eloyc

Veteran Regular

7. eloyc

Veteran Regular

And this one looks like a truly independent game:

It needs more work, of course, but still...

Shortbread and Karamazov like this.
  8. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Maybe true if you’re using Dual Shock only - I don’t really have that issue much with the move controls. But the precision modifier button and/or using a grid does solve most of that? Will be interesting to see how far they get with implementing buttons only controls.

I currently have more issues with making a Gliffy diagram with mouse and keyboard than with Dreams through and I’ve used flip by a whole lot more

But yes, some aspects of the sticky stuff and collisions could be useful. Right now you can just do too much I think, it does take a while to get to grips with it. But in a sense if you compare it to LBP, that forces you into a very coarse grid at least in the z-axis. ;)

9. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

It's not so much the controls as learning the interface. You get told what to precision monitor is, which is a shoulder button (I imagine). Then you try to use it and use a wrong shoulder button and do something else instead. There are snap-to-face buttons and IIRC an extrude of sorts, but they are higher-tier skills. Even then, 3D positioning isn't at all easy. In a 3D modelling app, you won't be constantly holding an object. If you want to cut one solid from another, you'll position the solid where you want it and then remove it. In Dreams, you're holding this wobbling cutter. As you move your fingers to press the action buttons, the alignment moves. I did the log-bridge tutorial, and they show this fabulous looking log. I spent a good while trying to get a decent clean cut and just couldn't.

Will be interesting to see how far they get with implementing buttons only controls.

Locking to a plane would be useful. You can be extruding XY as far as you know, but end up moving slightly inwards/outwards with the controller and the end result isn't straight.

Note I haven't a camera either, so this is all sixaxis, the same as most potential users will experience.

10. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Oh you don’t have a camera? Ok so I guess my move controller with camera experience is definitely different from yours ...

11. seahorsesaw

Newcomer

That's not Sonic. That's Sanic!
    [​IMG]

eloyc likes this.
  12. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Amazing detail:

DieH@rd likes this.
  13. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Interesting dev video about the tech behind the "game":

14. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

everyone making awesome stuff and im still stalled in making simple music beat thingy -___-