Dreams : new Create & Share by Media Molecule

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by TEEDA, Jun 17, 2015.

1. TEEDA

Regular

[​IMG]

http://gifyu.com/images/DreamsSlide.gif
    http://gifyu.com/images/DreamsCrash.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks intriguing yet fantastic. I loved playing with LBP and tearaway. Though I preffered the way you could draw in their first conceptual demo with the Move controllers at the Playstation 4 reveal.
    Can't wait to see more.

2. RenegadeRocks

Legend

YEa, they had shown this creation with move and also animating the characters with Move. I guess SOny must have reminded them that they aren't really selling Move to ppl anymore so they had to come to Controller. But, yes, this was the star of the show for me ! Simple awe inspiring. I immediately shared it with all my family, an dmy wife, who paints, was mesmerized ! So was I :) !

TEEDA likes this.
  3. TEEDA

Regular

Definitely ! Same for me as drawing is one of my main hobby. Imagine the possibilities of creating your own story, your own movie and remaking or making your own cinematic. But I believe it will be more " artistic " oriented than true gameplay.
    I could be wrong but if you can find a way to mix some gameplay in it that would just be totally insane. The Sci-fi with the robot just wowed me in the trailer, that sure is my universe.
    And like The Tomorrow Children I would like to know more about the tech behind the game, those are just so sweet graphics.

http://gifyu.com/images/DreamsSlide.gif
    http://gifyu.com/images/DreamsCrash.gif

4. sebbbi

Veteran

100% compute, no rasterizer. I was waiting to see who has the balls to go first.

Who wouldn't like SDF (signed distance field) raytracing. Finally gets you rid of those "legacy" shader stages such as pixel and vertex shader. No more fighting about who has most excess ROPs or has the worst performing tessellator :)

milk, iroboto, Zane and 7 others like this.
  5. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

POLAR BEARS!

6. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I presume they will also support Move, and an option to create while wearing Morpheus also seems a no brainer although performance may be an issue.

RenegadeRocks likes this.
  7. HTupolev

Regular

:runaway:

Figured something was up with the style and sort of interactivity they're aiming for. But, uh, whoa. Excited to hear more about it.

chris1515 likes this.
  8. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

I love the idea of creating my own game/cartoon but in LBP I could never stop making changes to my levels and was constantly "perfecting" them so I fear that I will have to skip Dreams because I know that I will have to dedicate myself too much to it to achieve a the results I desire.

#8 Cjail, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  9. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Can the dream be interactive?

10. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

I sense a lot of dreams made of flying penises will emerge from this game.

DSoup likes this.
  11. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Can someone explain to the layman population in here what exactly they mean by 'no rasteriser' and going 100% compute?

Also, as for flying penises. Even I hadn't thought of that.

Zane, TEEDA and Billy Idol like this.
  12. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Actually you could do a lot worse in LittleBigPlanet than that already, so you can consider this a solved problem for Media Molecule, with their exemplary community features.

Karamazov likes this.
  13. chris1515

Veteran Regular

They only use ACE, ALU via compute shader. No vertex and pixel shader, no ROP, no vertex setup and razsterizer. They don't use fixed function of the GPU. Only software rendering on the GPU...

TEEDA likes this.
  14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Amazing looking. The real issue is going to be how to create stuff. How do you model a geezer, and how do you rig and pose and animate him to play the piano? These things are very time consuming which is why only a handful of people (media arts students!) create animated shorts in Maya etc. Have MM managed to simplify this massively and make it accessible? I note the pianist is repeating some finger movements and isn't mapped to actually play the notes of the music. What would it take to animate to that level of detail (literally because I have a CGI animation about a pianist I've been wanting to make for a couple of years now!). Or is Dreams going to be a complex and impenetrable tool for most people? I suppose for the mainstream, it'll be more about mashing up and reworking other content.

There's also a question about efficiency of the rendering. How much stuff can be fitted in memory?

Definitely one of the few truly interesting things to come up on consoles in a long time, because it's actually different! And it's the sort of thing that'd expect of Sony to invest in without a clear and obvious market.

15. chris1515

Veteran Regular

Distance Field are used on demo and are mathematical representation ;) The biggest problem is the creation tools. Curious to see what Media Molecule as done.

http://iquilezles.org/www/material/nvscene2008/nvscene2008.htm

liquidboy likes this.
  16. chris1515

Veteran Regular

It is ideal for VR and move sculpting...

17. Sigfried1977

Veteran

LBP was way too complex and impenetrable for most people too. As always I really appreciate MM's efforts, but ultimately I just couldn't be bothered to use them myself. I'm a graphics designer/illustrator who likes to dabble in 3d, and the tools MM provides are simply too ass-backwards and cumbersome for someone who's used to standardized industry tools like photoshop. I'd have loved a LBP editor on my PC, though. Mouse and keyboard would have gone a long way.

18. TEEDA

Regular

19. Sigfried1977

Veteran

It does look really cool, though.

20. SumoSaki

Newcomer

This is software rendering on the GPU? Hard to believe it.