Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition [PS4, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
The definitive edition finally releases on XBox, PS4, and PC on December 4th, 2020. The Nintendo Switch version released September 2019.

Embark upon an epic adventure as The Luminary: the chosen one in a world that vows to hunt him down. The Luminary and his unique band of loyal companions work together to survive an onslaught of ne’er-do-wells and overthrow the dark forces that plot to plunge the world of Erdrea into chaos. Explore the massive world of DRAGON QUEST and awaken your power in this can't-miss adventure!

The Definitive Edition includes all the content from the original release of the acclaimed DRAGON QUEST XI, and adds extra character-specific scenarios, the choice of playing with the original soundtrack or a grand orchestral version of the music, the ability to switch between 2D and 3D graphic modes, a Japanese voice-acting option, and much more!

Someone saw Persona 5 Royal and took notes. Releasing an essentially modded version (orchestral soundtrack, novelty 2D-most-of-the-time mode and some story extras) of a game at full price within a console generation seems worse than DLC, but I guess high review scores and long play times help make double dipping more palatable. P5R came three years after P5 (and with an initial wave of steelbooks as a retail sweetener). DQ11S is coming three years after its Japanese launch. All I’m saying is a nice steelbook wouldn’t hurt. ;)

Interestingly (original source), "[Dragon Quest XI S is] a port of the Nintendo Switch version, so the graphics are not the same as they were for the original Dragon Quest XI on PlayStation 4. Please note, however, that the resolution and frame rate are at least as good as they were for the original PlayStation 4 release." “Not the same” being a euphemism for downgraded?* It seems that will allow the base PS4 to hit 1080p and gives the Pro a shot at 4k (still checkerboarded?), at least. It will be interesting to be able to choose bewteen resolution and graphical quality, albeit with two different SKUs of the game.

I wonder if this version but not the original will get a resolution boost for PS5.

It’ll be on Game Pass as a Play Anywhere title (Xbox and hopefully PC), so there’ll be one relatively cheap way to play it.

*Edit: Maybe a bit harsh, judging by the DF comparo pics. Only the fourth and sixth show obviously lesser draw distance and LODs, which I imagine are easy to push out. Swapping in higher res textures should also be simple. That only leaves simpler geometry.

Last edited:
I'm on Chapter 9 of 12 in this one and I have to say that I like it quite a bit. There's a certain Skies of Arcadia vibe to this one.

I wish the combat system was a little more complex and that the Prep Powers were more impressive, but it is one of the best JRPGs I've played.

If you take out the load times of the past I think I prefer Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga to this one by a little bit, but not much. Remakes of these could be incredible, but alas it likely isn't meant to be.

I'm on Chapter 9 of 12 in this one and I have to say that I like it quite a bit. There's a certain Skies of Arcadia vibe to this one. I wish the combat system was a little more complex and that the Prep Powers were more impressive, but it is one of the best JRPGs I've played.
I also took a punt on this a few weeks back and I'm also really enjoying it. I'm not far in, having got to Gallopolis. I do like party-based RPGs with traditional tank/healer/dps roles.

I'm not happy with having to grind my way from 50th level at end game to beat the last couple bosses. I've heard you need to get to 75th to finish and I might just quit instead. :(

My rating was 9, but now I'm an 8. I had good fun until the last bit. Too much grind.

I'm not happy with having to grind my way from 50th level at end game to beat the last couple bosses. I've heard you need to get to 75th to finish and I might just quit instead. :(

My rating was 9, but now I'm an 8. I had good fun until the last bit. Too much grind.

on what platform? on PS4 (via save wizard) and PC you can cheat away.

if it supports cross save with xbox, then also can cheat on xbox (by sync to PC first)

Back