Dragon Age 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Miksu, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Miksu

Regular

Bioware has released some information about the Dragon Age 2. There's not much but they're releasing a trailer in August so we should get more information then. Here's the homepage: http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/

And here's some tidbits:
    • Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
    • Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
    • Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
    • Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
    • Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

I finished the first Dragon Age just last week and even though it was good, it fell short on some aspects. The whole world was was very unoriginal with most of the stuff stolen from Forgotten Realms and some taken from the Witcher books. I sincerely hope that they can make the world much more interesting.

Also the character development aspect was/is kinda lame. Five months before the Dragon Age was released the previews stated that characters could mix the classes how ever they want. So for example you could have level 15 rogue / level 5 mage. This didn't happen but imho something like this would make the character development more interesting.

All in all, the first Dragon Age was imho very unoriginal and it was remarkably similar to the Neverwinter Nights (except that it lacked the co-op!). But the key features -list seems to be indicating that Bioware is doing something different this time. Let's see how it pans out.

2. woundingchaney

Regular

Dragon Age was a very solid title, what it lacked in originality it made up for by simply being a well rounded enjoyable experience. Nothing about DA really stood out to me either good or bad, but at the same time it is in a genre that simply doesnt get enough attention these days.

I am more than willing to follow the series to the next installment and beyond.

3. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

The franchise needs more character classes than just warrior/rogue/mage.

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

They should have made an expansion that revolves around Morrigan after DA:O. I know they got one expansion/DLC on the stowe for that redheaded chicks life pre DA:O.

5. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

For real, that bitch ran off with mah babeh!

6. aaronspink

Veteran

And they need to make sure that it isn't mage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> warrior >>>>>>>>> rogue.

If only you could get a whole party of mages in DA. Who needs an army!

7. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Goodness I played as a rogue back when dagger damage was glitched and it still wasn't all that difficult. Guess it would've been super boring if I'd chosen mage?

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Mage was only boring if you went with some of the more stupidly overpowered spells at launch. Like being able to keep enemies frozen pretty much the entire combat. I avoided that and found it suitably challenging. I didn't find either Warrior or Rogue (before dagger fix) to be particularly handicapped either. But then I used the Rogue more tactically than as a brute force combat assassin.

Looking forward to DA 2. I'd say there might be a good chance that Morrigan and/or Morrigan's baby will play a large part in it.

Regards,
    SB

9. aaronspink

Veteran

Mage was/is so stupidly borked that it isn't funny. I played through as a rogue, a warrior and a mage. Things that were very difficult on a rogue, were just marginally hard on a warrior, things that were difficult or hard on a warrior were a joke on a mage.

You don't really even need to use the freeze spells on the mage to make them super OP (the freeze spells are just WAY WAY too overpowered, with 2 mages with freeze spells you cannot possibly EVER die). The normal spells are plenty powerful and when you add in the various mage combo abilities, its just borked. Oh, there is a massive army of enemies over there, lets just put up a MASSIVE storm of combo death and kill them before they even realize we are here!

10. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

Did you play on a PC or console? Friendly fire was on for normal difficulty on the PC, but off by default in the console versions. It made using those superpowerful spells effectively much harder on PC as it was pretty easy to wipe your own party at the same time as the enemies. Mages were still the most potent, if only because they were the best at dealing with opposing mages. I wouldn't say it was broken, though. Really powerful mages also fits with the fiction.

11. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

But how was babby formed? :D

12. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

So we play a new hero... erf :-/ It's 2010 ffs...i want to know what happened to my character... Mass effect did it, Witcher 2 will do it... it sucks.

13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I disagree, I actually found a Bow Rogue to be far more efficient at killing opposing mages. Unless those mages were massed, in which case a bit of micro and AE damage spells were a bit better.

And yeah, friendly fire made at least some micro-management required to use a Mage effectively. But even then I never found a 2 mage party to be more advantageous or easier than a 1 mage party.

What I did find a bit overpowered at times was Shale. When combined with melee fighters, the right gear and a little micro, you were basically unkillable.

Regards,
    SB

14. Kyyla

Veteran

Meh, the plot was so generic I don't really want to know what happened to that witcher wannabe.

15. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Just as long as it isn't a prequel I don't care.

16. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

You're talking about DA or The Witcher ? If it is about DA...yeah it's a witcher wannabee, but it wasn't bad, i liked it. My story was OK, and in the end,i was like "oh that's it ?! the interesting thing is NEXT, don't finish it now :-/"

17. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

I'd like them to add the ability to lock or barricade doors.
    That, coupled with the ability to ignore line of sight for glyphs and area of affect, would make me unstoppable with the exception of an land without doors or a MACE. (Mandatory Ambush Cinematic Encounter)

Maybe a spell to summon a cottage with a deadbolt lock...

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Atleast she was present. Though the sotry ends IMO quite abruptly and the expansion is quite weak with new info. It's like " and so he walked to the... STORY OVER". I also hear the talk about action based combat like ME2? Shit where is my black mana bag need to summon some trolls to smack.

Btw I found the story and presentation in DAO to be very well done, exceptional much like BGI and BGII. So guuuud.

19. Kyyla

Veteran

Yeah I was talking about DA.

20. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

We better play the Warden again or I'm going to be very disappointed. Also, D&D system. I know that isn't going to happen but this game could have been so much better with a proper RPG system instead of a Diablo meets WoW meets amateur house rules. :evil:

Is anyone playing the Leliana DLC? I skipped the Darkspawn one because I read it was short and an overall distraction.