*downscaled* Resolving Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunafish

Regular
If you desire to persist in a delusion, that is your business. It is certainly not my concern.

There is still very serious demand for higher-quality pixels. As someone said here (or the other thread, I don't know), The Matrix on DVD still looks better than modern games at Full HD. There will be people who will want to render at 720P (or even considerably less) if doing so buys them demonstrably better pixel quality. No matter how many teraflops they have.

Yes, but that is not at all what the post was claiming....

The claim was essentially that an HD7870 is incapable of anything above 360 level graphics when rendering at 1080p.... take that as you will.

Full_HD_1080-logo.gif

That badge/logo is now common place and it's one thing that the average Joe does understand, they know that Full HD is the best of the best and like everything else out right now that HD they want Full HD.

That badge/logo is now common place and it's one thing that the average Joe does understand, they know that Full HD is the best of the best and like everything else out right now that HD they want Full HD.
If your game outputs upscaled to 1080p, Joe Public will be none the wiser in a lot of cases. Devs have had the freedom to choose resolutions themselves, and I expect it to stay that way. This gen's mandates for 720p minimum didn't last long (at all!).

There is still very serious demand for higher-quality pixels. As someone said here (or the other thread, I don't know), The Matrix on DVD still looks better than modern games at Full HD. There will be people who will want to render at 720P (or even considerably less) if doing so buys them demonstrably better pixel quality. No matter how many teraflops they have.

Yep.

For instance, you could watch a CG movie on VHS on a decades-old TV and see better visuals than the most advance games. Pixel quality is where it's at, not resolution, IMHO.

Umm..... It might be 2:38AM and I need to go to bed, but real life and Hollywood CG is kind of well... down sampled (especially if real life is The Matrix :3), no?

If your game outputs upscaled to 1080p, Joe Public will be none the wiser in a lot of cases. Devs have had the freedom to choose resolutions themselves, and I expect it to stay that way. This gen's mandates for 720p minimum didn't last long (at all!).

Up-scaled graphics are horrible...

You also have to think that either side will need to have a selling point that the competition doesn't have...

If Microsoft or Sony can offer true 1080p rendering then they have a leg up over the other.

I've dropped the best part of £7k on my PC and I love it to death and have never really thought about buying a console but these machines have my attention, but sticking to 720p will lose it.

I understand the basis of sticking to 720p for nicer pixels but if that's the case why not render at 480p? There has to be a point where the industry and content shifts to newer standards, that current standard is 1080p

There's is no replacement for the sheer clarity and extra IQ that native 1080p brings

Isn't there still a bunch of 720p broadcast?

99% of HD broadcast in the UK is 1080 as is all Blu-Ray content.

The industry has moved forward, 1080p was ultra rare and ultra expensive when 360 and PS3 first released but now that's not the case, 1080p is now ultra common and ultra cheap.

Currys have a 22" full HD TV for £150, you can get decent sized Full HD TV's now for pennies, 720p era is dead.

Native 1080p with FXAA/MLAA would be much much better then 720p with 2/4xMSAA

And FXAA/MLAA would also work better at native 1080p as there would be more pixels to sample from.

Yep.

For instance, you could watch a CG movie on VHS on a decades-old TV and see better visuals than the most advance games. Pixel quality is where it's at, not resolution, IMHO.

Are we really sure? VHS looks pretty nasty nowdays. As does SD. Does Matrix SD look better than Crysis 3 1080P? It might in some ways, but it's still low resolution.

There are certainly benefits to HD, at least, regardless the overall winner.

99% of HD broadcast in the UK is 1080 as is all Blu-Ray content.

The industry has moved forward, 1080p was ultra rare and ultra expensive when 360 and PS3 first released but now that's not the case, 1080p is now ultra common and ultra cheap.

You are aware that exactly zero broadcasts are in 1080p? They are either 1080i or 720p

SKY Sports is broadcast in 1080i even though 720p would be a much better fit.

Cheers

You are aware that exactly zero broadcasts are in 1080p? They are either 1080i or 720p

SKY Sports is broadcast in 1080i even though 720p would be a much better fit.

Cheers

Notice how I just said 1080? ;)

And the BBC has broadcast in 1080p since mid 2011

Yes, but that is not at all what the post was claiming....

The claim was essentially that an HD7870 is incapable of anything above 360 level graphics when rendering at 1080p.... take that as you will.

If you count in some extra features like some Tessellation here and there into the equation with better textures if that's what you're saying, yeah it would no doubt pull it off. but ultimately it'll still be the same game engines that have existed for 10 years, just re-skinned. which is what i'm saying.

the amount of power will help but it could just translate to the console getting re-releases of current PC games at 1080p, and then soon after it'll start doing them half the rez when PCs start getting accustom to better features like how they always do. Microsoft should focus on the giving their console a more defining reason on why the wait should be long, and why they should be the console of choice for the next 7 years.

Are we really sure? VHS looks pretty nasty nowdays. As does SD. Does Matrix SD look better than Crysis 3 1080P? It might in some ways, but it's still low resolution.

There are certainly benefits to HD, at least, regardless the overall winner.

Well, I think that what an old SD color TV can show on screen, surpasses what modern HD games on consoles and PC provide. Take any decent CG movie, play it on an old TV and tell me that doesn't look better than Crysis 3 in 1080p. My point is, real-time games have not come close to high-end CG, even if that CG is played back on an old TV.

If you count in some extra features like some Tessellation here and there into the equation with better textures if that's what you're saying, yeah it would no doubt pull it off. but ultimately it'll still be the same game engines that have existed for 10 years, just re-skinned. which is what i'm saying.

the amount of power will help but it could just translate to the console getting re-releases of current PC games at 1080p, and then soon after it'll start doing them half the rez when PCs start getting accustom to better features like how they always do. Microsoft should focus on the giving their console a more defining reason on why the wait should be long, and why they should be the console of choice for the next 7 years.

lol, wut?

A 7870 will enable them to do so many things, like OpenCL physics for one, tessellation is also a massive thing to have.

And it will ultimately lead to the same game engines that have existed for the last 10 years? COD runs on the Quake 3 engine.... Current consoles use old engine tech.

Next generation should finally see the death of flat textures and nice ones with deph like this

vpt4.jpg

Well, I think that what an old SD color TV can show on screen, surpasses what modern HD games on consoles and PC provide. Take any decent CG movie, play it on an old TV and tell me that doesn't look better than Crysis 3 in 1080p. My point is, real-time games have not come close to high-end CG, even if that CG is played back on an old TV.

on overall it looks better, but it loses a lot in some aspects as well. I like high definition picture and the ability to see fine details in good clarity. Old SD TVs can't show them.

on overall it looks better, but it loses a lot in some aspects as well. I like high definition picture and the ability to see fine details in good clarity. Old SD TVs can't show them.

I've compared GT5 in HD with an SD image of a real car driving on, say, the Nurburgring, and then I actually prefer GT5 a lot of the time. But generally I agree, that there is a still a lot to be gained in terms of effects, lighting, physics, environmental details, etc. Just like passive 3D, even though it's half the resolution of Full HD, still looks much more realistic than 2D.

Do you have a link where this "4T,6G,13" quote is coming from?

Sorry, I could not find the original post, but it evolves from a rumor made by a supposed Microsoft insider around the web "20... 5T,8T - 4G, 6G ...13"

So pure especulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back