Downloading Games Gripe

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by linthat22, Dec 23, 2007.

1. linthat22

Regular

I got a gripe.

When on Steam you can download a new game for roughly 10 bucks off of the standard store price. After checking out Atari's website I wanted to download the NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer expansion, but it's the same price for the download as it is for a boxes copy.

I know I'm not going to spend my day downloading a massive game for full price (as stupid as it sounds). I thought the publisher saved money on the download side of things, because they don't have to ship out anything (i.e. money going into the box, manuals, pressing the CD/DVD ROMS, etc.).

For me, there's more of an incentive to purchase something online if it's a bit cheaper than full retail. I got a free copy of The Black Box and purchased the other stuff at a discount.

What say you? Do you feel a reduced price would make you download more full games? I did download Bioshock from Steam and it took 3 hours, so that wasn't bad.

#1 linthat22, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2007
  2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yes. Here in the UK, it's often cheaper to go to an e-tailer than to download via Steam. There are two reasons. Firstly, Valve don't want to upset the retailers in case they threaten to take Valve games off the shelves because they are being undercut. Secondly, Valve are greedy, and would rather put the money saved in their own pockets than pass the savings on to their download customers.

3. Davros

Legend

valve have even been known to sell games via steam for more money than the retail bixed version

I allways prefer the boxed version, i like the idea that i have a physical product something tangeable plus i dont like the idea that i could be denied playing the game if the servers went down

4. L233

Veteran

Plus, boxed games can be eBayed.

5. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

$10 for server maintenance. :p

6. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Steam stops you from doing so. Another reason why Valve like Steam is because it helps kill off the second hand market which they see as cannibalising their new sales.

7. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

This thread is amazing...

Valve doesn't set the price for all the games on Steam. So you can also call those other developers greedy as well.

Just because a game is out on Steam doesn't mean you have to buy it on it. Also just because you bought the physical copy doesn't mean you can't then register it on Steam then use its awesome features later on for free. You guys seems to forget that your purchase of the game gives you the download service any time you want. That bandwidth cost could surely become expensive over time. I know I've downloaded HL2 five times, HL1:EP1 4, HL2:EP2 2, CS:S 6, TF2 3, Portal 3, and a few other games multiple times. While bandwidth is cheap, it doesn't stay that way forever.

What is the last physical media game you bought? Mine is Call of Duty 4. You know what I got with that? A single DVD (couldn't believe it was in a hard shell, first like that in nearly a year), a manual that didn't even include a multiplayer description of any sort besides the UI (read: Like every other game ever) and it doesn't even break maybe 20 pages certainly not 30 (the box is packed away now, not going to go grab it). Oh and the box. So in total it might have cost them $3 to $4 to make this and I bet that's a high estimate.

You also must consider that like BZB mentioned you cannot piss off the retailers that much. The majority of sales are still in these stores. You drop your price $20 and make these stores only a window shopping experience and to play the demo booths and you're going to be jerked from the store shelves very quickly and that will hurt.

While Valve and those companies might be a bit greedy, they are not nearly as greedy as they are portrayed as. The only true issue I have with Steam is that it stops second hand sales, I can live with that considering how much use I get out of it and how wonderful its features are.

8. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

My view is that if I can get a boxed DVD with manual posted to my door for less than an electronic download, then there's something wrong with Steam pricing. Steam puts a lot more money into Valve's pocket because they've replaced the middleman of the publisher.

However, instead of passing some of that saving on to the customer, and still make more money (thanks to lower overheads of electronic publishing and no publisher to take his cut), Valve just puts all the money into it's own pocket, while giving the customer less than an e-tailer like Amazon or Play who ship a physical copy.

It's no problem for me, I'll keep buying from Play at a cheaper price, but it means Valve actually makes less money as they've got to give retailers discounts and a cut to the publisher for making and shipping hard copies plus their profit margin. There's just no reason that a physical product shipped around the world should be cheaper than an electronic download, but it is with Steam.

It seem likely to me that (a) Valve isn't ready to give up on the retail market and don't want the retailer to get too pissed off, even though the long term aim is to cut out the retailer just like the publisher and sell direct, and (b) they want to keep the value of their games high so they can make more money and make sure their products do not become devalued to the customer.

One of the reasons Valve keep hyping episodic content is because it means they can reduce overheads, and keep selling short games for a more profitable margin, all the while reusing engines and assets. Keeping prices high on Steam is part of that same drive for more profit for less product.

#8 Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2007
  9. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I download all my games....

/me runs away FAST!

10. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

i get most sent to me from online retailers (3 i use). sometimes i venture out to best buy or equivalent. im not really in to downloading, though i certainly see some attractiveness there, i like having my disk for reinstall when I want to, be it, 1 or 5 years from now (assuming the disks can live that long which may or may not be true).

11. kyleb

Veteran

Pressed DVDs like content is sold in in stores can last for centuries, and only low quality burnable disks will die within 5 years. But much of the games avalable for purchase online can be backed up to disk for easy install later, so that isn't rightly any reason to aviod online distribution.

12. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

I dont think ive ever had a pressed dvd/cd last me for more than 2 years. It's usually my fault from scratches and stuff, but it doesnt matter if its been pressed or burned, it wont last more than 2/3 years before its chucked away.

13. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Really? I have many CDs, and a number of DVDs that are well past 3 years. CDs that are vastly older than that, many of them. How do you run into such issues? I really don't see how people can damage their discs that badly.

14. kyleb

Veteran

Yeah, I said they can last for centuries, obviously you can torture them to death in a second if you like. I'm not rightly careful with my disks yet have many that are well over a decade old, and have only rarely caused any disks permanent damage. I've yet to even have a burnt disk go bad on me yet. On rare occasion I scratch the plastic up to the point a disk won't read correctly, but a professional buffing or just a quick coat of petroleum jelly resolves that.

15. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Just by being careless and lazy. It's not rocket science to put them back in their cases when you are done with them, but you'd be amazed how many people just leave them sitting in drives for weeks on end, scattered across desks, stuff piled on top of them, sitting in the sunshine, etc.

They'll get ruined quickly if you treat them badly, much in the same was as anything else.

16. kyleb

Veteran

Not really, I do all of that you mention and rarely loose a disk.

17. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

I'll start downloading games when they start shipping me manuals. Call me an old fogy, but I rather enjoy my collection of game boxes :(

I know. I'm strange.

18. SugarCoat

Veteran

As already mentioned in the HL2 sticky, Steam is currently running a 10-50% off everything promotion, some really decent deals in there. Ends on the first.

19. Davros

Legend

and some not so good deals - i just checked out 4 games at random
    2 were cheaper retail + the 2 that were cheaper in steam were only chepaer because of the discount
    one of those was orange box and after the 1st valve will go back to selling it for more than the retail copy

20. vazel

Regular

I really like having my games and DVD movies in their cases in my bookcase.
    Yup, how fast DVD-Rs rot on you depends on their quality. I used a Ritek DVD-R the other day that I burned a couple years ago and it had disc corruption to it. My Verbatim discs are still going strong though.

#20 vazel, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2007