Download Windows 7 for new system owners w/ free upgrades?

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
I just ordered a netbook (Acer 1410) that has a free Win7 upgrade. But I hear that when you mail in the request that estimated delivery in Nov-Dec.

Is there a way to download Windows 7 legitly for users with free Vista-to-Windows 7 upgrades? I really don't want to install my software tonight when it arrives and in December have to clean install as a number of apps have limited # of installs before you have to waste time on the phone for re-activation.

I have browsed RTM and RTW threads but haven't found anything definitive.

If you have any way of obtaining the license key itself, then you could use any Win7 media to perform the installation. That's actually the part you'll be waiting on...

Aren't the windows 7 discs locked to specific versions? The one I installed from I had to modify a file to specify which version it was for. Or is there a generic version which acts like the Vista disc does?

Unfortunately it didn't come with a Win7 key and I had to order an upgrade disk which may take somewhere between now and forever to receive. With all the bloatware on this thing I really want to do a fresh install, too.

Unfortunately it didn't come with a Win7 key and I had to order an upgrade disk which may take somewhere between now and forever to receive. With all the bloatware on this thing I really want to do a fresh install, too.

I'm in the same boat as you actually, just ordered my upgrade disc today. This also forces me to use 32-bit unfortunately. Oh well.

On the other hand my 2 hours with my new Acer 1410 (I cannot believe I bought an Acer) is pretty nice. 11.6" screen is bright and the 1366x768 isn't bad as you are close to the display. Very light, keyboard is nice (don't like the cut down backspace and would have preferred concave keys). But fairly snappy--just need to get rid of the bloatware. Should be perfect for taking to the library, using at lunch, at church, etc.

Back