Doom3 why AA makes little difference?

thekey

Newcomer
I gamed Doom3 at 1280x1024 I saw little differenec with aa on or off. Why is this in contrast to say.. Most Wanted or Black & White 2?

There'll be less noticeable aliasing when the edges of polygons are in darkness most of the time.

plus, aliasing is most noticable when there is a big contrast in colors. most things in doom3 are greyish (or redish in hell).

I havent played D3 in like a year, but I seem to recall a lot of aliasing/shimmering on the per-pixel effects, with and without AA. this isn't a bug, but a limitation of current per-pixel bump effects. supersampling does exist, but is costly.

plus as see colon mentioned, there isn't a huge range of colors or contrasts a lot of the time

see colon said:
most things in doom3 are greyish (or redish in hell).
I thought Doom3 was mostly black :)

Seriously though, it's hard to provide any reasonable or relevant opinion/explanation for this thread starter's question without knowing what his priority order is like when it comes to alleviating aliasing (IOW, AA); is it the LOD/shimmering textures, the edges, the, um, "pointy heads" (yes, I read that some think that the lower-than-expected polygons of characters is actually "aliasing"! Funny but I read it!), etc.

In any case, going back to my first sentence : Doom3 has been described by John Carmack to me as "not exactly brightly lit", a scenario that should "accentuate" (for lack of a better word!) aliasing. Maybe this actually answers the thread-starter's question...

Ghost of D3D said:
In any case, going back to my first sentence : Doom3 has been described by John Carmack to me as "not exactly brightly lit", a scenario that should "accentuate" (for lack of a better word!) aliasing.
I meant to say "should not "accentuate"".

PS. Does this forum allow editing?

Aliasing is very visible in doom 3 for me, I run it in 800x600 2x AA / 2x AF on my geforce 4 and it looks better than 1024 with nothing.

Ghost of D3D said:
I meant to say "should not "accentuate"".

PS. Does this forum allow editing?
Your going to have to wait a week or so. I think I had a hundred posts when I could do it. Why they don't let you edit, I have no idea.

Blazkowicz_ said:
Aliasing is very visible in doom 3 for me, I run it in 800x600 2x AA / 2x AF on my geforce 4 and it looks better than 1024 with nothing.

Is specular effects on? That is as far as I can tell where a lot of the aliasing comes from and MSAA will simply do nothing to diminish it.

everything is on, there's banding and chess-board pattern which I blame on the low shader precision (related to specular I think, I didn't try the game without the specular lighting).
It's the classic polygon edge aliasing that I really notice, I run every game with 2x MSAA now.

Back