Doom3 is everywhere: torrent, ftp, dc++

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by T2k, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas

Newcomer

Point is that games are cracked and put on the net for download as soon as they're available by any means short of killing someone. That's a simple fact right now, whether you like it or not. Since this fact can't be changed right now you (as publisher) have to take that into account or you hurt financially.
    And the only thing i can do against piracy right now is not to use the distribution networks which i don't do. I can't change what others do so i don't care about it. Not my problem.

2. KnightBreed

Newcomer

Sorry, that comment was kinda vague.;) By apathy, I mean the general opinion that nobody gives a shit when somebody downloads software. I think the 40,000 people on the torrent seed is witness to this fact.

3. oddfellow

Regular

I don't think anyone is sayind id software deserves it. Activision are the ones responsible for delaying the game in Europe.

I'm certainly aware of delays usually associated with european releases, but in this case there's absolutley no reason for it. Even Hollenshead said the UK would probably get the game a few days after the US, but now we have to wait.

I'm going to speak to a friend of mine at my local GAME store tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got the game already, but aren't allowed to sell it till the 13th. (This has happened many times before. GTA Vice City is a good example. He told me they had the game well over a week before they were allowed to sell it).

4. Joe DeFuria

Legend

No one "deserves" to have anything stolen from them. I guess the bottom line is, everyone would be happy if they just delayed the U.S. release another week or so, so that "everyone can get it at once?"

This is a game people, not a cure for AIDS....

5. KnightBreed

Newcomer

Kindly point out these parts again. I've read through the thread and I see you complaining about Activision and their decision to delay the release by 10 days for the rest of Europe. The why for the delay is irrelevant, because quite honestly, you aren't entitled to play Doom3 the same time as the rest of the world. If you aren't willing to wait, tough shit, you don't play the game.

If, perhaps, Activision completely refused to release the game in Europe, then maybe I could understand your frustration. But all I see right now is somebody complaining about having to wait 10 days for a game's release.

6. KnightBreed

Newcomer

OK, fine the publishers are stupid. How does that justify piracy again? It was the publisher's decision to delay the game for n weeks. You weren't involved in the process, so you couldn't possibly know why it was delayed, other than some conspiracy theory.
    That is precisely my point! No, I would NOT download my phone for free (if it was possible). Because I don't have access to it, doesn't mean I'm entitled to receive a copy for free. The only reason why piracy is so rampant is because its so easy to do, with so little chance of legal reprocussions. The likelihood of getting caught is miniscule, so the general public is left to their own vice. I think this thread is a perfect example of what the public could accomplish if they knew they wouldn't get in trouble for their actions.
    Wouldn't you be confident if you knew you were right?;)

The bottom line is: id worked their asses off to make this game, and I don't understand how anybody could, under any circumstances, legitimize downloading it without giving id and Activision their due royalties.

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

For almost everything else in the world, yes; but in this particular case that doesn't actually apply.

It isn't a case of if he's entitled to or not, it is a case of can he or can he not.....and he can if he wants to.

Tough shit if he doesn't have to wait to play.

8. Diplo

Veteran

The localisation issues are an excuse. Are DVD's region locked because of localisation issues? No, it's so companies can sell the same product for different prices depending on what the local market is willing to pay. It's price-fixing. They don't want global competition as this would drive down prices - it's anti-competitive, pure and simple.

I find it hard to believe that translation of the manual only occured at the very last minute, after the game had gone gold in the US. Couldn't translation have happened simultaneously? Does the UK version need translating, anyway? Regardless, considering, as you say, that the game was in development for 4 years then why not simply postpone the US launch by a couple of weeks instead? That way you can release it globally at the same time.

It's nothing to do with "entitlement" but with fair and equitable treatment for all customers regardless of nationality. It's not only frustrating to have to wait weeks for a game that other people are playing, but it can spoil the enjoyment as by the time it is released it's been discussed to death. Trying to avoid every Doom 3 thread for two weeks after release isn't exactly easy if you are interested in the game. Global releases can solve this problem and treat all customers equally. Not only that but it can help save the publisher and developers money by avoiding the game being leaked. So instead of deriding people for asking for this, you should be supporting them.

9. logen999

Newcomer

i don’t feel bad for activision or any of the suits there. i feel bad for honest hard working chaps like Carmack and his team.

i downloaded it, so i guess i'm just a damn hypocrite. :( but i still cant help feeling bad.

10. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

In this particular case I think Activision deserves it.

Exactly - I'm glad to see you got it finally.

That way lots of people outside of US wouldn't be pissed off and wouldn't download it because THEY WOULD HAVE THE OPTION TO BUY IT.

11. oddfellow

Regular

Which kinda was my point.

I was commenting on the fact that some are saying people believe id software deserve it, when I'm saying they don't. Indeed, nobody does.
    I was a little vague though. I should've said "Nobody is saying id software deserve it. In any case, Activision, not id, are the one's responsible for the delay" Meaning that if anyone is responsible or "deserves" it, then it's actually Activision.

12. oddfellow

Regular

Extremely well said :)

13. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

Hint: You should read over and over again, it may help you... :roll:

Following your sick logic: if you aren't nice (Activision), you deliberately playing against given facts (it WILL BE cracked and published sooner or later), you'll be handled as you deserve it - tough shit.

BTW I'm in NYC...

Seriously: WTF are you talking about? :shock:

Arrrghhhh... you weren't too good in combinatory logic, right?

There are given FACTS - even though they are seem waaay beyond your understanding :roll: -, namely A) it's just the question of a few days when it's going to be cracked and published B) people are waiting for a game because Activision and ID heavily marketed it for years now.

Based on this the obvious thing you could do is release the game AT THE SAME TIME EVERYWHERE, in order to avoid hurting your sales by the cracked/downloaded copies.

Everyhting else is just ticket to ride for free for the rest of the world.

Nobody said it's OK - I just said Activision did the STUPIDEST thing that could be done - so they deserve what they got.

I did not mention id - they are obviously screwed up by Activision.

If you don't get it, sorry, you need professional help.

14. KnightBreed

Newcomer

Obviously if he wants to play the game without paying for it, he will download it. I never disagreed with this. My point is, it shouldn't be this way.

15. oddfellow

Regular

So you're telling me that if I live in the UK then I'm less entitled to play a game than someone in the US, right? Just because I don't happen to live in the US, right?

So let's turn that on its head. Let's say HalfLife2 gets a UK release 11 days before anywhere in the rest of the world (including the US) for absolutely no real reason at all.
    The game has been so hyped for so many years, people are willing to do anything to get their hands on it.
    Now you're telling me that it's tough shit because everyone who doesn't live in the UK aren't entitled to play it. Right? Also you're saying that you couldn't understand if people got a little frustrated by it. Right?

:?:

16. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

:roll:
    Honestly, did you ever read anything about this industry? Because majority of the people here well know how these things work...

Besides this nobody said it justifies the piracy - but we said they did the stupidest thing tehy could and therefore they (Activision only) deserve it.
    Period.

That is precisely my point! No, I would NOT download my phone for free (if it was possible). Because I don't have access to it, doesn't mean I'm entitled to receive a copy for free.
    [/quote]

Listen, doc... WTF is this 'entitled'? Nobody entitled for anything - but that's not the point.

The point is THEY (customers outside of US) CAN'T BUY IT BECAUSE OF A STUPID PUBLISHER, NAMELY ACTIVISION BUT THEY CAN DOWNLOAD IT AND, ICE ON THE CAKE, FOR FREE.

Since Activision itself made their case obvious, Activision cannot really complain about this whole story.

Capisce?

Everything has another side - today's licensing practice is RIDICULOUS.

Especially when it comes to the publishers' right - that's outrageous.
    So don't be surprised when the customer fights back...

Neither one of them is right, I agree but don't forget the other side of this equation.

It has NOTHING to do with that - read my very first post again: I said Activision is an idiot.

? Excuse me? Right about what? :shock:

Nobody gives a flying sh** about having legitimacy.

Honestly I'd understand if Id finally would take the guts and beats the sh** out of Activision... ;) :p at least by taking their future somewhere else...

17. gurgi

Regular

I think what he is saying (excuse me if I'm wrong), is that nobody is entitled to play any game period except for paying customers. If a product isn't available, that may be frustrating, but it doesn't make you entitled.

18. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Jesus Joe, WHY DO YOU CARE if people download the game from the internet if they're going to go to the store and buy it in two weeks ANYWAY, which more than likely is the case with most people here?

People are pissed - and rightfully so - that they're being forced to wait an extra two weeks for no good reason other than developer/publisher convenience. If you'd waited for four years for this game and been told you'd have to wait two weeks more than the guys across the pond, you'd been annoyed too. Now you happened to be amongst those who got it first, so whoo. Go you.

In the meanwhile, let us know when you stop jaywalking and making personal calls from your company phone, alright? Stop bitching, we're not children, we're quite capable of making our own judgement calls regarding morals and whatnot, so you don't have to tell anyone what's right or wrong. We already know, alright?

19. KnightBreed

Newcomer

Jesus H Christ, this is the most succinct comment made by you yet. Much better than the babblings of the rest of this post.
    Here is a crazy thought. How about formulating a coherent point, before trying to dice up my posts.

Your point: Activision and id deserve to have their software pirated because they chose to delay the European release 10 days, even when they knew that the hype and anticipation would cause irritation among the fans.

My point: The latter release of Doom to Europe is not a reasonable justification to pirate the software. Nobody deserves to get their product freely distributed across the internet just because some irate geeks don't like their release policy.

20. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

I was going to move this thread, then I was going to ask people to stop being so abusive to each other; ah stuff it - the debate was pointless to begin with! 8) ar glo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.