Doom3 and ATI

rwolf

Rock Star
Regular
http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20041230/linux-02.html

In the case of Doom III and ATi, the game's development team had not communicated Doom III's final code until just before the game's launch, says Matthew Tippett, product team lead for Linux platform engineering. "We weren't notified until about three weeks before Doom III's release, and we were notified that it didn't work," Tippett said.

Looks like JC had a bone to pick with ATI.

I doubt that. In fact I doubt he had much to do with the Linux port.

IMO, more than likely the guys doing the port just used NVIDIA boards throughout the process, because they work, and then let ATI deal with their problems when they were close to being ready.

Waltar, like Dave, I don't think that's the case.

ATI's Linux drivers just isn't the same as NVIDIA's Linux drivers. This doesn't mean id is shafting ATI -- it's about being logical.

I think Dave hit it on the head. id used nvidia hardware almost exclusively throughout Doom 3's development process which stands to reason that they simply did not spend as much time optimizing the game for ATI hardware.

Of course the fact that ATI may have been responsible for the leak could also have played a role.

ANova said:
id used nvidia hardware almost exclusively throughout Doom 3's development process
NVIDIA hardware (GeForce3, to be specific) was the basis.

Using a certain IHV's hardware "exclusively throughout" a particular game's development is an entirely different matter.

XxStratoMasterXx said:
I seem to recall when the R300 was released, Carmack was raving about it :)

Well, there surely wasn't anything else that could compete with it at the time. ;)

Reverend said:
ANova said:
id used nvidia hardware almost exclusively throughout Doom 3's development process
NVIDIA hardware (GeForce3, to be specific) was the basis.

Using a certain IHV's hardware "exclusively throughout" a particular game's development is an entirely different matter.

When I said exclusively throughout I also implied the fact that it was started using a geforce 3. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I seem to recall when the R300 was released, Carmack was raving about it

As it was, but he only used it for demoing the game at E3 before switching to the Geforce FX.

XxStratoMasterXx said:
I seem to recall when the R300 was released, Carmack was raving about it :)
Was there anyone who wasn't raving about the R300 when it was released? :| (Serious question, I'm curious if anyone recalls)

digitalwanderer said:
Was there anyone who wasn't raving about the R300 when it was released? :| (Serious question, I'm curious if anyone recalls)

Only nVidia as far as I know. Seriously. ;)

The Baron said:
Ichneumon said:
digitalwanderer said:
Alstrong said:
Only nVidia as far as I know. Seriously.
That's how I remember it too. It was just universally and unanimously praised as a breakthru and a fantabulistic card. :)

Except for the ever vocal Derek Smart :LOL:
Be careful! You'll summon him!
today is the first time he posted @ Beyond3D since August 2004 :oops: :oops: ( http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/search.php?search_author=Derek+Smart+[3000AD] )

Back