Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underwhelming?

kizMlGY.jpg

ukieci4.jpg

It looks like something that could have been made in idTech4 with DoF and a higher polygon count..
There's that plasticky look..

Let's hope this is made for spectacular performance in the XBone @ 1080p and 4xMSAA. It doesn't seem like it's made for great looks...

I'd rather hope for the crazy kind of action we've been hearing about. I fail to see a need for an even better looking shooter that's all the same in everything else.

Underwhelming?

kizMlGY.jpg

ukieci4.jpg

It looks like something that could have been made in idTech4 with DoF and a higher polygon count..

Let's hope this is made for spectacular performance in the XBone @ 1080p and 4xMSAA. It doesn't seem like it's made for great looks...
Those are screenshots from a compressed video source like Youtube. It doesn't look bad, 60 fps is the goal.

On a related note:
There's a new wolfenstein that received zero marketing budget and publicity.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
The game is a stand-alone expansion pack in the Wolfenstein series, and a prequel to 2014's Wolfenstein: The New Order

I don't know about you, but the video youtube delivered to me was truly cruddy and ridiculously compressed. Maybe purposefully, to not give away too much.

Game overall (based on this tiny snippet and the other they released previously) looks a lot like the old Doom3, with saturated base colors and quite hard contrasts; almost a line-drawn look-feel to weapons. This isn't a bad thing, by the way. I liked Doom3's graphics.

I just hope this Doom doesn't have as much emphasis on horror/scary moments, or I won't be able to play it... :LOL:

YouTube won't instantly send full resolution until it determines bandwidth and you're watching long enough that you definitely are going to continue. When a video is 12 seconds long it doesn't really work.

YouTube won't instantly send full resolution until it determines bandwidth and you're watching long enough that you definitely are going to continue. When a video is 12 seconds long it doesn't really work.

Click pause, click on the cog, select 1080p60, rewind, click play should work ?

Wolfenstein New Order, which is apparently based on a modified Rage engine, was sometimes impressive, mostly in interiors, and sometimes very ugly, like in the whole first chapter imho.
That trailer is too short to judge anything, but I wish the tech was improved further from wolfenstein. I think "unique" texturing add a great flavor

Underwhelming?

The 2nd image from the 1st post above does the visuals a disservice. It looks even more compressed than the youtube video. I was about to write how it was interesting the contrasting texture detail between the 1st and 2nd shot in your post, but then i rewatched the video at the highest youtube settings and that monster looks much better than in your screen shot and not so plasticky. Part of the plastic look probably has to do with the jpeg comression and lighting from the rocket. If you pause right before it's launched you'll see the creature doesn't look plastic.

I took the screenshots myself, they were saved in PNG and I made damn sure that the video was in 1080p60 before taking them.
Repositioning the time circle will force the intended resolution in Youtube.

The only IQ-misleading compression that could happen would be between my PNG file and the saved file in imgur, but I honestly don't see a big difference.

Regardless, Youtube's and the image files' compression algorithms would take detail away but wouldn't give the whole scene the very same plasticky look that idTech games have had since Doom 3, IMO.

I'm not going to lie. That teaser really got me worked up. I think technically graphics are great (not best in class doesn't make it terrible), at the least I'm happy with its art style.

I like it, more Doom is always a good thing:). Nice Bokeh and HDR lighting, hope the setting is similar to D3 again with tons of horror elements and Hell Knights! Damn I miss the good old D3 days when the game was like the 2nd coming of Jesus.
yup, lots ppl hate it but I still play the hell out ofit. Heavily modded with sikkmod and texture packs, the game looks supremely fantastic !

BTW< I see a high poly hand and a shotgun : I Like !

I can't wait for this! Teaser showed the perfect amount of stuff to make me excited - shotguns and cyberdemons.

I can't wait for this! Teaser showed the perfect amount of stuff to make me excited - shotguns and cyberdemons.

That wasn't a Cyberdemon it was a Revenant. The fact that they showed both the Super Shotgun and the Revenant and nothing else suggests a closer tie in with Doom 2 in this game as neither of those elements were in Doom 1. Although granted both were in Doom 3 I suspect this is a clue about the Doom 2 tie in.

Incidentally, for anyone curious as to how far the graphics have progressed since Doom 3, here's the equivelant from that game:

Doom_3___Revenant_by_Half_dude.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back