Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sigfried1977
Good point. Fully zoomed in these blurry comparisons look nothing like the game (played the Demo on PS4 too). There is IMO a lot of missing detail in these switch shots either blacked out or reduced detail due to lower resolution. It should be good for portable gaming but hooked up on a monitor/TV ehh it will be nothing like PC/PS4/X1. Especially brutal if you're used to 1080P even 4K res from games and movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Portable Doom? - now that sounds bloody brilliant. Let's just hope they won't have to compromise in the area of performance too much. I'm not even asking for what is more or less a 60 fps lock on the PS4 as I'm generally not too bothered by fluctiations here and there. Still, they should aim for 60. It's an integral part of the game's DNA.
As crap as the Jaguars are, the Switch cores are lower clocked by a huge margin and there are fewer cores available to boot. On the flip side, maybe they can put less pressure on the CPU with lower LOD for objects & lighting when binning into their clusters.

I'm seeing lower res texutures everywhere on the Switch version, it's almost like the high res Normals didn't load.
On another note I'm anxiously awaiting the Pro patch to replay the campaign.

The so-called PS4 shots don't really lok like PS4 shots.

Really obvious when comparing the details of the rocky structure behind the armor. In reality it looks quite a bit crisper still. That screen shot is hella blurry as well unfortunately.

Yeah, I'd wait for a proper comparison. The first two shots in Cyan's post are fairly similar whereas the latter two do show more differences in texture filtering. If you look at the horn on the PS4 there, you can sort of see the seam line between MIP levels being sampled. Naturally, the Switch's lower resolution will have an impact (texel : pixel) including the available memory for keeping textures around (streaming). Looking at the environment textures, they aren't that dissimilar, but again, crappy capture quality etc.

I'm seeing lower res texutures everywhere on the Switch version, it's almost like the high res Normals didn't load.
On another note I'm anxiously awaiting the Pro patch to replay the campaign.
Me too, the pro patch can't come soon enough. As for the switch version it looks nothing like doom on PS4/Xbox one/pc .(not talking about these shots "comparisons" but for the actual switch footage)

Me too, the pro patch can't come soon enough. As for the switch version it looks nothing like doom on PS4/Xbox one/pc .(not talking about these shots "comparisons" but for the actual switch footage)
this is the actual Switch footage, it was announced at the direct. It seems to be 60 fps, but I am not entirely sure. How is it nothing compared to the PS4/XB1/PC versions?

Portable Doom? - now that sounds bloody brilliant. Let's just hope they won't have to compromise in the area of performance too much. I'm not even asking for what is more or less a 60 fps lock on the PS4 as I'm generally not too bothered by fluctiations here and there. Still, they should aim for 60. It's an integral part of the game's DNA.
portable Doom? sounds bloody brilliant to me too. In fact my dream machine is a computer ala Switch but a full-fledged computer for everything that could run games at 1080p60. Maybe in the 7nm generation with Ryzen APUs or whatever Intel comes up with? I shall wait.

The Lynx Vision would be a good start, design wise, to build something better (I got some reports commenting on the fact that it looks better than it actually is, so there is room for improvement)

introtab.png

this machine probably has a better CPU than the Switch but it has a vastly more powerful GPU, I think. This could be a good start to imagine how the performance and settings are going to be on the Switch.

I'm hopeful for the Switch version. If anything, I think people will be forgiving towards the worse graphics simply because the landscapes and bases are bland.

For all praises about Doom's graphics, I thought that it did feel very last-gen when it came to interactivity, and the enemies come in waves. I had been more worried if there were lots of interactive objects and swarms of enemies.

Sorry? Am I to believe that the 11 watts of Switch when docked produces shit graphics versus PS4's 140 watts?! How incredibly lame! Nintendo sucks for not cramming 14 CUs of power into Switch. And Bethesda are lame for not making Switch just as good as PS4 despite the power difference.

Damn, gaming's so lame all round with all these compromises. Why's no-one releasing a portable i7 with a 1080, 8" tablet weighing 300 grams with a 24 hours battery life for £200?!! Lame lame lame OUTRAGED!!!!

PS : How does Doom play on Switch? Same as other platforms? Is it fun? Too OT?

Last edited:
We know Doom in the PC scales very linearly with compute throughput when running in Vulkan mode. We know Wolfenstein 2 for the PC is coming with Vulkan and it's using FP16.
I'm thinking Doom in the Switch will be making heavy use of FP16 even where it makes the game look worse.

Still a hell of a technical accomplishment IMO. Goes to show how much Vulkan should be used in the PC space.

It is a weird tendency I have with preferring to play games on my Nintendo platform rather than my PC. Take Doom for example, I will likely buy Doom for my Switch later this year even though I could probably pick it up on a Steam sale for much cheaper, and play with a higher resolution and framerate. For reasons I cant really explain, i will pay more for the inferior version even though both versions are equally accessible to me. I would like to say that its because of the portability, but it will likely be a game I primarily play on my TV. The only way I can rationalize this behavior is because of an underlying desire to support developers who support my preferred gaming platform.

i had bought need for speed most wanted on psvita for the same reason, shiny portable version of a game.
Even if it does not look as good it's still more impressive to play those games in the palm of your hands

It is a weird tendency I have with preferring to play games on my Nintendo platform rather than my PC. Take Doom for example, I will likely buy Doom for my Switch later this year even though I could probably pick it up on a Steam sale for much cheaper, and play with a higher resolution and framerate. For reasons I cant really explain, i will pay more for the inferior version even though both versions are equally accessible to me. I would like to say that its because of the portability, but it will likely be a game I primarily play on my TV. The only way I can rationalize this behavior is because of an underlying desire to support developers who support my preferred gaming platform.
I really don’t get this. I understand liking the portability, it is neat to have big AAA games in a portable device and the little screen is kind of a draw, but getting this on the switch to play it on tv when you can have a vastly superior version, for tv use, for much cheaper makes zero sense. I am sorry but this is extreme fanboism. I kind of prefer the Xbox platform but all my 3rd party purchases have been on the PS4 , though this will change with the release of the x. Never understood this fanatical allegiance with a corporation.

I really don’t get this. I understand liking the portability, it is neat to have big AAA games in a portable device and the little screen is kind of a draw, but getting this on the switch to play it on tv when you can have a vastly superior version, for tv use, for much cheaper makes zero sense. I am sorry but this is extreme fanboism. I kind of prefer the Xbox platform but all my 3rd party purchases have been on the PS4 , though this will change with the release of the x. Never understood this fanatical allegiance with a corporation.
Never said it made sense, but I believe it to be more common than you would think. I suppose I just want to support those third parties who support Switch. Again, not trying to sell anyone else on doing this.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Or just get a Steamlink for less than the game itself and play the PC version on your TV+couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back