Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
as you can see they are working on it. I am not sure they are going to add all the levels of the new Doom but it runs very smooth and it looks good. Plus for those like me who still don't have the game on the console or a PC that can run it efficiently, it's a plus. I want Doom so badly, but at that price the console version is a no go for me, plus I am not using the console as much as I'd like as of late.
http://www.redbox.com/games/doom-ps4 ;)

following the link this message appears (is the new project to bring current Doom to Doom 2 in that page?)

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.redbox.com/games/doom-ps4" on this server.
Reference #18.e47e1602.1473361552.4beb7a0a
Redbox is a vending machine that rents movies and games. Doom for PS4 is $3. It's a USA thing. I don't know where you are. It sounds like you're on a network that blocks their website though.

Redbox is a vending machine that rents movies and games. Doom for PS4 is $3. It's a USA thing. I don't know where you are. It sounds like you're on a network that blocks their website though.
I am in north Atlantic Europe --kinda. Vertically perpendicular to Ireland

Last edited:
Time To Kill i.e. how long it takes something to die when you're shooting it.
ah okay, thanks. I installed zDoom and playing classic Doom 2, well Final Doom exactly (The Plutonia Experiment) at perfect 60 fps with a true 3D camera is just amazing.

Final Doom is along with Doom 1 my favourite classic Doom game, because thanks to The Plutonia Experiment and TNT: Evilution, it has cooler new textures and stuff like that.

ah okay, thanks. I installed zDoom and playing classic Doom 2, well Final Doom exactly (The Plutonia Experiment) at perfect 60 fps with a true 3D camera is just amazing.

Final Doom is along with Doom 1 my favourite classic Doom game, because thanks to The Plutonia Experiment and TNT: Evilution, it has cooler new textures and stuff like that.

Does zDoom work on a Mac? I made a couple levels for Doom years ago and want to try them again for old time's sake.

Does zDoom work on a Mac? I made a couple levels for Doom years ago and want to try them again for old time's sake.
I think so, last time I remembered, if my memory doesn't fail me, it said it is compatible with Mac, Windows and Linux

I use DOOMEngine/DEngine. I like that one a lot.

Has lots of options like light ambient occlusion, customizable lighting effects, and other things. I use very basic visual modifications though, I don't like extra effects. Mostly just filtering, light AO, and stuff that cleans up the IQ.

19502974656_9e59a63682_o_d.jpg

Very old screenshot when I didn't even have 1080p monitor, so the aspect ratio is not proper, but this is basically what it looks like.

For Quake I use Darkplaces also, in a similar way too. Mostly with vanilla effects, but just filtered and clean. I even have that working on my Android tablet but it is so hard to control hahaha.

I think GZDoom and zDoom have more mod/wad compatibility though.

I use DOOMEngine/DEngine. I like that one a lot.

Has lots of options like light ambient occlusion, customizable lighting effects, and other things. I use very basic visual modifications though, I don't like extra effects. Mostly just filtering, light AO, and stuff that cleans up the IQ.

19502974656_9e59a63682_o_d.jpg

Very old screenshot when I didn't even have 1080p monitor, so the aspect ratio is not proper, but this is basically what it looks like.

For Quake I use Darkplaces also, in a similar way too. Mostly with vanilla effects, but just filtered and clean. I even have that working on my Android tablet but it is so hard to control hahaha.

I think GZDoom and zDoom have more mod/wad compatibility though.
wow, zDoom is great and the framerate more than doubles, it's Doom at its best, but this one take it to an entirely different level, there are no saw teeth anymore in textures. Gotta try it... It's like the same game but completely different. Wish they used something like this for the Doom and Doom 2 versions in the Xbox Live Arcade, back in the day, I enjoyed those games a lot, but it looked so pixelated, you had to play in a small screen so it didn't look like a mess.

@Cyan you can get both looks from Dengine which is really nice, all up to the user :)

You can even choose between different perspective styles of the 2D graphics. Lots of different options. This is one style of the perspective of 2D, I think this is the camera relative one but I can't remember.

18906566104_3571be3705_o_d.jpg

There's one funny overlay effect I didn't like added in the menu by the mod which is a random fog effect though, but you can easily turn it off by pressing ~ and then type "menu-fog 0" I believe is the command.

@Cyan you can get both looks from Dengine which is really nice, all up to the user :)

You can even choose between different perspective styles of the 2D graphics. Lots of different options. This is one style of the perspective of 2D, I think this is the camera relative one but I can't remember.

18906566104_3571be3705_o_d.jpg

There's one funny overlay effect I didn't like added in the menu by the mod which is a random fog effect though, but you can easily turn it off by pressing ~ and then type "menu-fog 0" I believe is the command.
I downloaded it and played some Final Doom's Plutonia using Dengine. The graphics are soooo good...

Only issue is that it only runs on OpenGL and performance is not as good as on DirectX, in my GPU at least. In that sense, zDoom is clearly ahead, it never goes below 60 fps.

Well, I finally downloaded the demo, and the graphics of the first level, when you get outside are some of the best I've ever seen in a game, :oops::oops:all the while it is running at 60 fps. In that sense, a technical feat. I've played the X1 version and the game looks very crisp, although the graphics look softer in some areas when you are outside, but I am impressed. iD have made some of the finest games this generation -Wolfenstein and Doom-

This generation's Wolfenstein was made by Machine Games using iDtech 5. We still don't know what they are working on right now, but most likely it is a sequel. :)

Well, I finally downloaded the demo, and the graphics of the first level, when you get outside are some of the best I've ever seen in a game, :oops::oops:all the while it is running at 60 fps. In that sense, a technical feat. I've played the X1 version and the game looks very crisp, although the graphics look softer in some areas when you are outside, but I am impressed. iD have made some of the finest games this generation -Wolfenstein and Doom-
Really? I thought outdoor areas on Mars are the more ugly parts of the game, low poly sparse environment, weak textures and all. Doom really shines in the interior for me. 60fps honestly doesn't add anything visually for me either, it feels less cinematic, more soap opera in a sense and certainly doesn't add shaders, geometry, lighting etc. There are so many places where Doom screams out for more poly budget, texture res and could instantly benefit from being 30fps.
That said still a pretty looking game but not mind blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back