Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, standard network cable between them, then load the game on one then switch the disc to the other. If I remember correctly, you needed to do it for each mission too.

Ridge Racer had a similar thing where you could switch the disc once the game loaded to one of your own CDs to listen to. I guess the whole game must have fit on the 1MB (or whatever it was) of memory the original PlayStation had.

PS ONE?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Link_Cable

I bought that link cable and had many nights at a friends place with 2 PSX, 2 TVs and 2 copies of that game.

Ethernet cable, never heard of it

Since when did a Playstation run off floppies? ;)
Lol! Whoops, I missed that you were talking about the PS port!

Amg by the way. Doom is so old it ended up on the original playstation... Jesus. It feels weird when thinking about it that way.

I remember talking to a mate of mine over the phone while they were fooling around with a leaked Doom alpha, and I kept hearing the door opening/closing sound from the other end. Oh, those were the days!

Doom [not Doom 4] was unveiled few minutes ago at Quakecon [no videos outside of convention]. Game uses new IdTech 6, its fast paced, ultra gory, and full of action. :D

owbums.png

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/17/5913883/doom-4-quakecon-reveal
OMG, my hype is sky high now. My Ultimate Doomer friend is going to love this. Most anticipated game from 2015, early 2016 for me.

^maybe this time around they actually wanna make a memorable game too. Not just a tech demo.
Yup, I just want to get lost again trying to find the keys, like in the first games.

id Software fans liked the Doom unveil. :D

hahah, that's nice. :D You can even listen the original MIDI music at the very beginning and the end of the video. Darn, I looooooooove MIDI.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I've been looking forward to this game, this news is all pretty disappointing to me. I really enjoyed the tense horror atmosphere of Doom 3 and was hoping for something similar here, that's not to say what has been described doesn't sound like great fun too.

But then there's the graphics:

Doom is supposed to be the pinnacle of graphics when it's released, very disappointing to hear that it won't be and also very disappointed to hear about the 1080p 60fps target which in effect means dumbed down graphics for PC users to accommodate console limitations. I'd be much happier with a 720p 30fps console target and then play at 1080p 60fps on PC anyway!

Also quite fearful that id are going to do that lame ass thing of "ensuring parity between all platforms" yet again. After this news they have a long way to go to convince me this game is pushing PC's like all their other Doom games have.
If I were you I'd wait to see the actual game running and try to be patient.

It has been confirmed that the game will use the Tiled Resources technology, something no other game I know of has used, and it is going to be a DirectX 12 game, maybe the first true native DirectX 12 game.

Plus it will run at 60 fps. :p I'd say that technology-wise the game is well off!!

If I were you I'd wait to see the actual game running and try to be patient.

I still hold out some hope the the current signs are misleading.

I know of has used, and it is going to be a DirectX 12 game, maybe the first true native DirectX 12 game.

Really? Do you have a link for that? Would be pretty cool if so.

Plus it will run at 60 fps. :p I'd say that technology-wise the game is well off!!

Yeah on consoles, that's the problem. On consoles you get worse graphics but a better framerate so it's a reasonable compromise. On PC's you can get the higher framerate regardless so we just get the worse graphics, not a good compromise.

I still hold out some hope the the current signs are misleading.

Really? Do you have a link for that? Would be pretty cool if so.

Yeah on consoles, that's the problem. On consoles you get worse graphics but a better framerate so it's a reasonable compromise. On PC's you can get the higher framerate regardless so we just get the worse graphics, not a good compromise.
It is a rumour of someone whose nick is FLASHBACKMAN and they got it right before when they said there would be a sneak peek at Quakecon 2014.

They said we should note all these points about Doom:

Holiday 2015, early 2016
DX12
Tiled Resources.
ID TECH 6.
Realtime procedural damage on enemies' flesh
1080p
60 frames.

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

The most important news coming out of this is that Crytek's best asset aka the man behind CRYENGINE, Tiago Sousa, is now the Lead rendering programmer a id Software working on IDTech 6 for DOOM.
Crytek is definitely going down the shitter...
[URL="https://twitter.com/idSoftwareTiago/status/490177133180760064"]https://twitter.com/idSoftwareTiago/status/490177133180760064[/URL]
I can second that Crytek seems to be in the early stages of a final farewell. Hopefully it won't happen, but this is looking worse every day.

I think they hired him after the rumours appeared, so they decided to go on the offensive and find a decent substitute for the genius Carmack.

Congrats to him though, working with ID TECH 6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_6 and on a game that still has it, is a good thing.

More on the new Doom. I want to explore and find keys again. And bring back MIDI support on PC.

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/07/the-new-doom-has-been-revealed-at.html

OMG. There will be Keycards, once again. :smile::p

"The stream is off and it's Doom 4 time. First up: the trailer we saw a few weeks ago. Next: exec producer Marty Stratton.

"The game is called Doom, not Doom 4. It's an origin game, reimagining everything about the originals." - Stratton

"The game begins just outside of a massive research facility on the surface of Mars." - Stratton

Today's reveal will focus on combat, which is what the team has been focusing on.

First combat mechanic: demons. Mechanical, corrupt, hell knights.

Second mechanic: guns. Conventional guns. "Big" guns. The double barrel shotgun got a round of applause.

Doom will focus on high-speed movement and run-and-gun. Just like the old days.

Just saw some stills of an exterior, street-size level. Some combat will be hand-to-hand.

There will be a live gameplay demo on stage.

Doom will run on idTech 6, according to Stratton. Will support 1080p, 60 frames per second.

Gameplay demo getting started. Tons of gray steel walls, flames, and a shotgun that is comically large.

A key feature will be stunning enemies with a shot, then smashing their face with your boots. It's happened five times already.

A new twist on finding the yellow keycard: year off a corpse's arm and use it to open a handprint scanner.

Breaking: barrels just exploded. Repeat, we have exploding barrels.

Doesn't look like health regenerates. Enemies drop health when you squish them.

A demon just ripped the player's arms off and beat him to death with them. The room is breaking out into a standing ovation.

An adorable custodial droid is trying to clean up all the blood. It is not succeeding.

The player is now exploring a dank, Mars cave system. This looks like some of the atmospheric horror from Doom 3.

The hand-to-hand kill moves are varied and fantastically gory. And here comes the chainsaw.

There's a huge variety of enemies on display. Small demons swarming with giant bullet-sponges.

And the demo ends with the reveal of the giant, horned demon we saw in the teaser. An explosive demo, and more than we thought we'd see.

@PCGamer

"We'll talk about the fast paced competitive multiplayer later"

Game has a weapon wheel

Procedural dynamic damage on enemies. Chainsaw rips. Double barrel shotgun booms. Plasma rifle sounds of old. Rocket launchers kill mancubus

Double jumping. Light parkour. BIG focus on melee combat and finishers. Sick finishers. RIP AND TEAR. HUGE GUTS.

Fought two barons of hell. Crazy AI. They'd climb after you. Swat away rockets. Flanked by smaller demons. Whole rooms full of demons.

Demo was played with an Xbox controller on a PC

@DaveOshry

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/489924873972498432

Wow, that guy should really help id's future engine efforts. Rendering tech is the one (only?) thing Crytek was really good at.

Now id just needs to get competent game play designers and they might be able to produce a compelling, modern game.

More on the new Doom. I want to explore and find keys again. And bring back MIDI support on PC.

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/07/the-new-doom-has-been-revealed-at.html

OMG. There will be Keycards, once again. :smile::p

"The stream is off and it's Doom 4 time. First up: the trailer we saw a few weeks ago. Next: exec producer Marty Stratton.

"The game is called Doom, not Doom 4. It's an origin game, reimagining everything about the originals." - Stratton

"The game begins just outside of a massive research facility on the surface of Mars." - Stratton

Today's reveal will focus on combat, which is what the team has been focusing on.

First combat mechanic: demons. Mechanical, corrupt, hell knights.

Second mechanic: guns. Conventional guns. "Big" guns. The double barrel shotgun got a round of applause.

Doom will focus on high-speed movement and run-and-gun. Just like the old days.

Just saw some stills of an exterior, street-size level. Some combat will be hand-to-hand.

There will be a live gameplay demo on stage.

Doom will run on idTech 6, according to Stratton. Will support 1080p, 60 frames per second.

Gameplay demo getting started. Tons of gray steel walls, flames, and a shotgun that is comically large.

A key feature will be stunning enemies with a shot, then smashing their face with your boots. It's happened five times already.

A new twist on finding the yellow keycard: year off a corpse's arm and use it to open a handprint scanner.

Breaking: barrels just exploded. Repeat, we have exploding barrels.

Doesn't look like health regenerates. Enemies drop health when you squish them.

A demon just ripped the player's arms off and beat him to death with them. The room is breaking out into a standing ovation.

An adorable custodial droid is trying to clean up all the blood. It is not succeeding.

The player is now exploring a dank, Mars cave system. This looks like some of the atmospheric horror from Doom 3.

The hand-to-hand kill moves are varied and fantastically gory. And here comes the chainsaw.

There's a huge variety of enemies on display. Small demons swarming with giant bullet-sponges.

And the demo ends with the reveal of the giant, horned demon we saw in the teaser. An explosive demo, and more than we thought we'd see.

@PCGamer

"We'll talk about the fast paced competitive multiplayer later"

Game has a weapon wheel

Procedural dynamic damage on enemies. Chainsaw rips. Double barrel shotgun booms. Plasma rifle sounds of old. Rocket launchers kill mancubus

Double jumping. Light parkour. BIG focus on melee combat and finishers. Sick finishers. RIP AND TEAR. HUGE GUTS.

Fought two barons of hell. Crazy AI. They'd climb after you. Swat away rockets. Flanked by smaller demons. Whole rooms full of demons.

Demo was played with an Xbox controller on a PC

@DaveOshry

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/489924873972498432

Hmm must admit that does sound awesome, sounds very very reminiscent of the original Doom.

start with a long transportation scene to an underground science lab/base, then something goes wrong and you try to find out what and in the end you switch to another dimension.

Funny how that is the backstory of Doom as well. I mean, the first one.

Funny how that is the backstory of Doom as well. I mean, the first one.

When I played Doom1-2 back then I've never perceived a narration:)

Anyway, the point was the direction of the game and it was just too obvious. You don't just copy the prologue to a game in such obvious fashion.

Pete Hines confirmed to PC Gamer that Doom was unveiled in this limited way to resolve the doubts of the development team who struggled for a long time with finding the best approach in creating this game. Now, they have clear indication that public is very eager to play this kind of pure action-focused ultra-gory game, and they can return to production without the fear that journalists/internet warriors will examine each frame of the totally unfinished game that was shown on Quakecon.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/18/d...ftware-public-reveal-unlikely-this-year/#null

I expected ~2016. release, and this just confirms it. Cant wait to play it. :D

Maybe gaming has grown up (not really), over the years the story in games has taking a bigger part, becoming the important part of the game. With many of the best games i have ever played and wasted most times on it was the core gaming mechanics that got me sucked in.

There doesn't need to be a big explanation, the best stories are typically open for interpretation. My favorite game quake, sees me run around on maps with medieval inspired designs coupled with scfi elements, combating villains that uses a chainsaw with one hand and throws grenades with another, if i fall in to the swamp zoombies are throwing limbs at me and can only be killed by exploding them.

Focus on the fun part of the game, skimp on the story part and all that crap, there is plenty of games that needs them, but doom, quake etc should never be a part of those.

It´s like a great house track, you sample the best part of the lyrics from another song and just use that to get the feeling going, same with this shooters, just sample the headlines from the book and lets get on with it.

Welcome to Mars
Imping along on Mars
Inferno by nature and death
Tesla Plasma Gun
Behind the 100 inch steel door
Dishonoured by Dismemberment

And fuck weapon balance in MP games, Quake was all about getting the rocket launcher and red shield, the rest of the weapons was stop gap solution or tactical like the grenade launcher.

And speed.. give us speed, not MP dictated by the limits of the internet, Quakeworld worked just fine.

ooop /rant

id Software fans liked the Doom unveil. :D

I think that video shows far more than it should about the Doom fan demographic and the awkward stereotype of the core gamer. No longer skinny nerds in basements, they're very large, beardy folk.

Wow, that guy should really help id's future engine efforts. Rendering tech is the one (only?) thing Crytek was really good at.

Now id just needs to get competent game play designers and they might be able to produce a compelling, modern game.

I think all Portuguese gamers/developers look up to Tiago Sousa. In early 2002 he made this little demo (with.. erm.. leaked models from Doom 3?) with what I'd gather it was his own engine and he used pixel shaders v1.1 which still weren't popular at the time.

Given his recent position at Crytek, I'd say he's had a great influence in CryEngine.

Though going from Crytek (non-paying, bad business bosses) to Zenimax which is turning downright evil.. I get the feeling he's not being very lucky with his employers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back