Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently most people really dig Turbo Doom Reboot. I enjoy it to a degree but yeah it's shallow and not really much more than a typical very basic shooter. I think multiplayer shooter fans really dig the adoption of that style of play for Doom.
A basic shooter. What Doom was.... and honestly, I love the new Doom to pieces. It gets the 14year old me out again, just sitting there and grinning from ear to ear. ;)

A basic shooter. What Doom was.... and honestly, I love the new Doom to pieces. It gets the 14year old me out again, just sitting there and grinning from ear to ear. ;)
Teenager me preferred Dark Forces for its storytelling and interesting levels. I suppose this new Doom is about at Dark Forces' level of complexity.

Cooperative Doom was fun but oh they again didn't bother with that this time.

Not many people talk about this in reference to graphics but the graphics are quite impressive to me on this based on videos, one of the most impressive current gen games. Definitely a current gen only title that shows it off.

The ex Crytek guy is on it, maybe that's why.

Played for a bit on the PS4, nothing too exciting graphically at all really. Interior looked good but Mars surface was down right sparse and flat. The game is severely polygon starved, you can see they optimized the assets mostly for 60fps on consoles. I guess coming straight off UC4 does give you that feeling. But the game feels really fast, probably the best looking 60fps game I've seen, 1080p also just gives it a cut above BattleFront on PS4.
However the arena based level design really doesn't suit my playing style, I do prefer a more cinematic 30fps story driven Doom than this arcadish entry.

I really like Doom's level design and think it is 'fresh', in the sense that we have so many story driven games that this is a nice outlier :)

Played some of the MP and liked it, but I am not so much into MP these days it seems, hard to get excited anymore.

Do yourself a favor and suicide in the molten iron in mission three. Gave me a good chuckle.
There's another similar reference in the room you first fight the summoner (I think). It's apparently a freezing surface. I accidentally the jump pad.

Last edited:
I hope Doom 2 is the next reboot. Not Quake.

I know, but I find tentacles scarier than demons and it seems like the Quake 1 universe is done & forgotten, so let me dream & have both of them in the sequel :D

You'll find me singing the engine's praises all day any day right about now. I think it's an amazing looking game, and I'd argue most games would be glad if they managed to deliver Doom's goods at half the framerate.

It's really smooth, maybe due to motion blur & high FPS (and maybe no bobbing head)
Is there any info on the engine, is is using megatexture, if yes, what's new inside it ?
Is the rendering core completely new ?
Why is nobody interviewing Tiago Sousa and id software about it ?
I want slides with tech words, cool tech and some preview of what's to come !

I know, but I find tentacles scarier than demons and it seems like the Quake 1 universe is done & forgotten, so let me dream & have both of them in the sequel :D

It's really smooth, maybe due to motion blur & high FPS (and maybe no bobbing head)
Is there any info on the engine, is is using megatexture, if yes, what's new inside it ?
Is the rendering core completely new ?
Why is nobody interviewing Tiago Sousa and id software about it ?
I want slides with tech words, cool tech and some preview of what's to come !

Id said they were gonna have a blog post that goes into detail about the engine. I'm assuming it'll show up sometimes around the vulkan patch.

Another excellent article from Eurogamer. This time on Doom.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-22-the-guy-youre-playing-as-in-doom-is-playing-doom

The great thing about classic Doom -along with simple plot, coloured keys, levels names and design, hordes, etc- is how the game laughs at one's darn face, when you thing you are about to complete the map, the game goes and opens another way where you are forced to go. Or how the exit is close around one of the first places where you appear. :)

I loved that simple intricacy where the obvious wasn't always as obvious..

I'm still downloading the initial patch to 1.03 but is the screen tearing right in the middle of the screen when turning normal? Is it by any chance the TV I'm using or does it simply get fixed with the update? PS4. Maybe the background downloading is choking the machine a bit?

Wait for the 1st patch to download and then restart the game. Performance should get better [and in the very rare spots you will feel any small drops].

Rock solid with the patch.

My initial impression is that it feels like Doom, and that's a good thing. Very fast paced with rock solid controls. The over the top gore becomes just a caricature of violence. I don't know if I can stick it out until the end but I'll put in some hours for sure.

I just tried the demo a bit. Wow! It looks nice it plays awesome!

Chapter 1 is nothing. Game gets really insane later on. Enemies are always deadly, ammo is always low, enemies can always quickly find you and surround you no matter where you are, and only chance for victory is to jump into middle of all of them and RIP AND TEAR. Amazing game.

Chapter 1 is nothing. Game gets really insane later on. Enemies are always deadly, ammo is always low, enemies can always quickly find you and surround you no matter where you are, and only chance for victory is to jump into middle of all of them and RIP AND TEAR. Amazing game.

yeah it feels amazing fun, even when dead, its not stressful! weird!

too bad there's no story element that pulls me.

its like playing nintendo games (but this time gore over 9000). Playing simply to enjoy the gameplay. no story element to pull you :(

The real story in Doom (i.e. not the one about the greedy and morally bankrupt corporation) was actually pretty damn good. In terms of telling a story that's both unintrusive and coherent with the gameplay, Doom is probably the best damn thing since the Souls games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back