"Doom III Co-op!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Wunderchu, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Paul

Veteran

Bingo, I just love the neo pseudo CG look of DOOM3 and I find nothing special about UT04 for some reason.

2. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Link?

3. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

It's not something I can link to, it's just a logical conclusion drawn from a) what the Doom 3 engine does, b) what is possible without pixel shaders, and c) the type of hardware that exists which does not have pixel shader capability.

First of all, I guess I should add floating point precision into the mix. The older cards don't have the additional precision, and since they will require even more passes per pixel, it will cause even more of a problem. This may play more of a role in image quality differences than the pixel shaders will.

Secondly, while the registry combiners and Dot-3 operations can do per-pixel lighting to some extent, they are very limited and will not be able to do the same number of lights with the same accuracy that pixel shader capable hardware can do. Not to mention that every card in existence that doesn't have pixel shaders is so slow at performing these calculations, that virtually all other image quality settings will have to be dropped to their lowest values just to give the GPU enough time to do the lighting. Additionally, pre-pixel shader hardware generally tops out at 64 MB of RAM, which will impose restrictions on the texture quality as well, further diminishing the visual quality of the game.

So I guess the point is not that hardware without pixel shaders is completely incapable of producing a similar image in Doom 3, just that it can't produce and exact replica of an image, and even doing the best it can, it will probably be in the seconds-per-frame for rendering.