"Doom III Co-op!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Wunderchu, Mar 11, 2004.

1. rainz

Veteran

On the XBOX only !@
    :shock: :? :cry:

RainZ

2. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

well....id could do what they did with Quake 2 ;)

3. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

<smacks id>

Seriously, it's time for developers to realize that more co-op equals more... uh... gooder! :p You know what I mean. It's the thing that made classic Doom so great, and added tremendous appeal to games like Serious Sam. Kudos to VV for striving to get it in, but what is what's up with id? <grumbles>

Oh well, at least it will probably get modded in at SOME point. Heh...

4. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

With a co-op mode I would be very interested in DOOM III for the PC !

Let's wait and see.

5. horvendile

Regular

I agree. Deathmatch and suchlike is IMO not very fun if the participaters are not approximately equally skilled (with yours truly usually on the receiving end of the boomstick when skill is ditributed unevenly). Coop was fun even when my friends outclassed me.

6. Quitch

Veteran

No co-op? Oh yes, what a might successor to the first two this is gonna be.

*cough*

7. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

Maybe we will see a sven-co op for doom 3?

8. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

"Hi, my name is Quitch, and I hate everything." ;)

Anyway, I'll believe the lack of PC co-op when I see it.

9. Quitch

Veteran

Where have I got this negative image from? If it had co-op I'd be very happy.

Happy, happy Quitch.

Perhaps I should start a topic about Massive Assault, and then I'd be singing praises :)

10. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

He only hates id so don't worry.

So he doesn't like them it is not surprising he isn't excited about D3...

11. Quitch

Veteran

I have not once said I dislike id.

12. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

As stable as their games are, id has never been known for a deep experience. I doubt that Doom 3 will be any more intellectually engaging than Doom or Quake were. You'll still be a guy running around with guns shooting things, and picking up health and armor here and there to help you do it. Lack of co-op wouldn't be the worst thing about Doom 3; lack of gameplay innovation will take the honors there. But at least it will look nice while you're running around killing everything.

13. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

And the id fanboys will still deny this even after the game ships. Carmack didn't even want a 'use' key in Doom 3 because he thought it would clutter up the gameplay too much. Brilliant programmer, moronic game designer (statement not based on just the use key example).

14. Quitch

Veteran

I wouldn't call him moronic. The id method sells, so there's obviously a market for it, not everyone wants a deep experience, the Serious Sam series shows this.

But Serious Sam had co-op, so...

15. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Finally something I can agree with you on quitch... some people myself included thought quake2 was just fine, and it was fun. I was not uber impressed with what others say is a deep experience I just think they are annoying usually.

There is a very specific aura with id it is based on few gimmicks. Most other games have tons of gimmicks, but in my view they are lame I like things to be environmental, a constant not s one time deal that you are supposed to go "wow" about. Some people like red, some like blue, some like corvettes, others like vipers or the WRX STi like me :) but that doesn't mean the other is bad simply different.

Unfortunately there will of course be argument, about whether it is "good" but it is just personal preference. I personally also think the USE key is stupid, why have another key when you could just use the fire button, switch to a hand for example from your weapon and press fire, solved. The number of keys and actions in newer games is retarded in my opinion, I mean really why have a key to lean out your head and not just strafe out and back, maybe in multiplayer it would be neat but in single player I couldn't care less.

16. Magic-Sim

Newcomer

The use key isn't needed since when it shoud be used, the weapon's reticle turns into a "mouse" pointer, and you simply click what you want to use, you don't have to search a key on the keyboard. so it isn't a use jey, it is more like your finger.......

I feel it like this personnaly.

17. Saem

Veteran

The problem is that when you have a usable object infront of you and an enemy behind it.

Personally, a use/manipulate environment key makes sense. If you have a decent kb layout which is what every FPS gamer will have, then you know where you stuff is. A use key is basically ubiquitious within the FPS realm and thusly, a generic key binding will almost always acoomadate it.

18. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Saem, a simple delay of half a second or so would fix that problem.

19. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Carmack supposedly fought with Hall and Romero on having secret rooms in Doom. Basically held them hostage on the design because he refused to code the sliding walls in, though he finally relented. Carmack's position at id is paradoxical, IMO, because he's simultaneously the company's strongest personnel asset and the single, main reason why they'll keep churning out the same game as the years go by.