Doom Eternal [2018]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Cyan, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

One of my favourite, most dreaded enemies is in..

[​IMG]

Saturday is doomsday --that's when my mother-in-law arrives.

Seriously though, this game shows what a good fps can be.

2. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Can't agree more! I was really surprised and blown away by DOOM reboot! Found all secrets and did all single player achivements. Such a 'relaxing' game to play every now and then :D

Cyan likes this.
  3. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

I'm definitely getting old for this arcadish arena style head spinner, the whole thing feels like UT than Doom. I was hoping Doom 2 would at least get some of the atmospheric and horror level design but looks like it's just more of the same. Guess I'm just a Doom 3, Dead Space kind of guy. Also the graphics look kinda dated at least compared to most of the new games.

Malo likes this.
  4. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Got to agree with this. This looked like an expansion to last Doom. But there are fans of this genre so why not?
    I personally find Rage 2 more impressive even technically.

5. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

This is using Id Tech 7. Bethesda have provide no details what the differences over 6 are, as far as I can tell. Does't really look like it's doing anything new from the clip I saw.

6. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

The only thing they said about it is the ability to render 10x more geometry than idTech666.

Frankly, I expect great action and gameplay. What interests me the most are their claims about expansion of the "lore" of the game. That new area looks very intriguing.

7. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

That's curious. I wouldn't really thought that was necessary a key tech to target for Doom. Guess it could help with the up close killy bits.

milk likes this.
  8. milk

Veteran Regular

It was quite obvious that any doom game done now would be a continuation of the style set by the last installment given its critical and comercial success. Hell, it was almost given there'd be a sequel like that by the time the last one released. They'd be crazy not to do it.

9. milk

Veteran Regular

There might by a time and a place for a game more like Doom 3, but it sure isn't now.

RenegadeRocks likes this.
  10. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

quite enjoyed Doom 3 on the original Xbox, especially on the 2nd walkthrough with the artifact, but of all the Doom games I've had, I still think Doom 1 and 2 are the best, followed by Doom 64 and Doom (2016). The new Doom is quite fun, although I'd want to have the streamlined levels of Doom 1 & 2 (also 64). Find and grab a coloured key, then the next key, etc. That design worked wonders in Doom 64 too. You can completely change the game without changing the simplicity of the level design.

Maybe it is the excesss of visual information, but I kinda miss simpler maps tbh.​

[​IMG]

11. Scott_Arm

Legend

Doom 2 was a fast shooter that threw an abundance of colourful enemies at you. It was essentially an arena shooter with high-powered guns. That is what classic Doom was. If anything these new Doom games are a throwback.

12. dogen

Regular Newcomer

Some levels were sorta arena like, but I wouldn't agree for the most part.

Putas likes this.
  13. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

I actually played Doom 3 on PC back then, game has so much feel with the unified shadow tech and even greater when run with a slew of mods:). The pacing was also brilliant, accompanied with a fleshed out horror narrative you really feel like lost in space and survive in the most horrific and claustrophobic alien complex. A Doom 3 remake would be a godsend, or should I say hellsend. Never really played the original Doom games tho.

14. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Chronicles of Riddick kinda stole Doom 3's thunder for me. Very similar tech, but unlike with Doom, the unified shadows were actually used for gameplay purposes, not merely monster closet jump scares to which I'm pretty much immune anyway.

This here Doom Eternal looks glorious. Cannot wait. The "cut-scene" in which the Doom slayer slowly and silently walks past the employees who are equally star-struck and scared shitless is pure gold. Manliest game ever in the best possible way :)

#14 Sigfried1977, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Scott_Arm and Lightman like this.