DOOM 3 graphics = mixed bag.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by PowerK, Aug 2, 2004.

1. grecco_julio

Newcomer

Who is Camark? BTW I think this game is a big dissapointement and after 5 years of development it can't even beat PainKiller's graphics which was made in about 2 years... And Far Cry >>>>>>>> Aliens vs Predator 2 > Doom3

2. MasterBaiter

Regular

Sexual favors? :shock:

3. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I'd take your opinion seriously, except...

:shock:

:lol:

4. jvd

jvd
    Banned

I said this in another thread and got bashed to hell. THanks for supporting me

5. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I think BZB has a very funny view on gimmick so I looked it up at websters

Now that is funny no :p I always thought of gimmicks as things like the hang gliders in far cry, extrememly limited in scope, not something that is universally applied throughout the game, but considering it is an important feature not immediately apparent I supposed BZB may be right after all :lol:

6. anaqer

Veteran

One may argue about texture resolutions, model detail, MP limitations all day long.
    IMO in the end, there's only one thing that counts though - IS IT FUN ?

7. jvd

jvd
    Banned

My beef is that it falls short of system shock 2 . That came out in what 98 ? They can't even match a 6 year old game's game play ?

That is my gripe . If your going to make a game and hype it to hell at least have it be better than a game they obvisouly riped the whole concept from .

Oh lets make a horror/ survial game in space. Just like system shock but we will put doom3 on it and instead of aliens they will come from hell . Then we wont have it like the original dooms . We wont have mobs of bad guys to mow down . We will just make it more like system shock and have the stealth element in it .

Please.

This isn't doom3 . This is system shock 3 . THe closest we have to doom 3 is painkiller

8. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

not that much til now but i'm only playing for 3-4h , i hope it gets better though.....

just my opinion of course

9. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

BS. :roll:
    Normal people get sick of ANY personality cult, period.
    Typically weak/silly people get highly raved about anything.

10. hughJ

Regular

Virtually every encounter with an enemy (so far that I've seen) is scripted in some form... you walk past a trigger and something busts out through a wall, or through a railing. You walk past a trigger, and something that's in a dark corner will come out at you. Kinda reminds me of playing Resident Evil.. feels very linear due to the apparent nature of the scripting. You can sorta see the gears turning in the designers' heads while you're playing. Walk here, grab health, activates trigger for monster to come out, kill monster, move on to next room.

11. logen999

Newcomer

:roll:

so how come the box says doom 3?

12. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

My biggest bitch is it's too dark, I think it looks pretty sweet. :)

13. gurgi

Regular

For or against it?

14. mondoterrifico

Newcomer

I like it this dark. Very immersive and as somewhat pointed out, reminds me alot of aliens, at least at the first. I have already jumped out of my chair 2 times which is 2 more times than i did for all of far cry.

Jvd's comments about it being system shock 3 is for me not a bad thing at all. Personally this is the most immersive game ive played in awhile. The pda with the audio reports seems perfectly plausible and not as tacky as i thought it might be.

Overall, best game I have played in awhile.
    Although I think it helps that my wife is gone for the week so noone is nagging me to stop playing games. Keeps the spell going. :lol:

15. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Well that is YOUR opinion of course. Mine is this is a cool as hell game that while a bit too dark, is fascinating and draws me in for more. I can't wait until I get my paws on some of the bigger guns. :p

Thank grud for that! I found SS2 immensely stupid. Fire a gun six times and it friggin breaks... Also, I find maniacal computers that refuse to die the first time you kill 'em in the previous game somewhat irritating and bothersome, but that's just me. ;)

Umm, excuse me, but since when did id hype D3 to hell? :roll: You must have them confused with someone else, Epic perhaps who are already busy whoring Unreal3 despite it won't arrive for another 2 years minimum (barring any EXTRA delays of course) and will likely run worse on the 3D hardware of the time than D3 does on the cards we have today.

OOOH. Maybe you consider showing the game at E3 two years in a row 'hyping it to hell'? :roll:

Umm, if they did that I expect the game to play like SS2, and it does not, so please don't go off the deep end in your accusations...

Oh you're reading id's minds I see! Of course the lack of mobs of badguys is because SS2 lacked mobs, NOT because computers of today typically aren't equipped to handle hordes of enemies on-screen... Jesus. How far have you played the game? I dunno about your box, but when the player gets swamped by skull-spiders my FPS drops through the floor!

:lol: Painkiller is a gothic style shooter, not sci-fi. Why didn't you mention Serious Sam 2 instead? It's even got most of the Doom-style weapons. :roll:

16. DSN2K

Newcomer

so do people think if Far Cry didnt have its pretty graphics it would be a good game :?

17. junkheap

Newcomer

Well, when i first started playing i didnt think so, but after playing it some more with the sound cranked, all i have to say is HELL YES. Frig, i am INCHING around in this game. Its taking me so long to do anything, as i am too freaking scared to run through everything. :oops:

Btw did anyone notice that you clear out a spot, then start shooting at SOMETHING, whatever the hell thats moving and groaning, an all of a sudden you get a damn stinking monkey wrench off the head from behind you?? :shock: Is it me just not disintergrating the freaks or what??/

And i just upped it to ulta quality or whatever the highest setting is and it works pretty much the same, except when opening doors into new areas.

Oh yea, And the marines are beginning to piss me off........ :evil:

18. jvd

jvd
    Banned

this is the only thing i'm goign to answer since the rest is you just being annoying .

Lets see. The huge video about how great it is and how only the geforce 3 can play it at the launch. 2 years of e3s with no launch. THe prerlease nv3x benchmarks . The huge deal at hardocp about it performing so well

19. oi

oi
    Regular

Personally I didn't really enjoy it that much. The first hour or two was pretty fun, but after that the suspense kinda left. After that I just kinda got more and more annoyed with the fact that I couldn't have my flashlight on while shooting. The darkness wasn't scary, it wasn't cool, it was just annoying. Although the fun kinda returned for a while when I got the chainsaw, but it felt more like a parody running around every corner with the chainsaw looking for something to chew on rather than a horror game hehe.

But anyways, I kept playing in hope of seeing some badass monsters, and once you reach Hell you'll finally start seeing some new environments. And omgooses, some of the bosses are really awesome. It's kinda like the bigger the monsters are, the better they look. I took loads of screens but for some reason only one got saved heh.

But anyways, as far as 'horror' FPS go, games like System Shock 2, The Suffering and AvP2 are far superior imo.

20. logen999

Newcomer

found out that i get a 8 fps avarage boost in the time demo with triple buffer on.