Dongle vs No Dongle CF Perf. X1800 GTO

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Geo, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Has anyone tried or hacked drivers to run CrossFire Dongle-less using slightly mixed GPUs? I'm currently running the X1900 XT, but I'm trying to find a use for a X1800 XT-PE that's not being used at the moment.

3. demonic

Regular

Give it 9 months and you'll be able to use it as a PPU :razz: :wink:

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Yeah, that's what I figure... That or throw it into a second PC System once I upgrade it beyond AGP.

5. Mintmaster

Veteran

IMO this reflects quite poorly on ATI's driver team. They went through all that bad press about having a "messy dongle", all that engineering effort, the FPGA cost, etc. for something like 5%. It would have been even less with the X800 series.

Well, I guess it's a niche market. I'm not a fan myself. Even with physics I see no need to have separate GPUs, and in fact the performance boost of two cards will probably be notably lower than what we're seeing now.

6. jb

jb
    Veteran

Yea but we still need to see the superAA hit for this as it should be much higher with out the dongle...

7. SirPauly

Regular

It would of been an interesting read if they actually offered Super-AA numbers.

8. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Give it to charity......... like me!

Interesting, I would have really liked to see some game testing, but pretty cool still. Interesting to see, I wonder how a higher end card would fair.

9. IgnorancePersonified

Regular

So whats' it mean? There's extra latency or more hops going via both pcie bus causing the hit and it's not a bandwidth issue? Bandwidth only comes into play with SuperAA?