Does Wii U really needs a 'tablet' gamepad?

gongo

Regular
It is single touch resistive and 158ppi ...6bit TN panel i presume...it is big..it takes up battery life and BOM..and Ninty showed nothing ground breaking just now....Wii this is not...

Would merging this

pro_controller.jpg

with this..inclusive of Apple amazing touch software performance.

bits-appletrackmagic-blogSpan.jpg

in a single controller have more innovative properties?

Since you cannot hold a tablet/touchpad and a gamepad at the same time, I'd say yes.
The Wii U really needs a tablet controller. The whole console was based on that concept.

Offering an alternative so you won't need to use the tablet controller doesn't mean the console could exist without it.

The money would be better spent on next-gen haptics.

http://scienceblog.com/52499/prototype-video-game-controllers-tug-at-thumb-tips

The ability to feel tenstion on a bow string, the feel of a tug on a fighing line, the new Madden Football physics of fighting for a inches, or skating feel in a Ice Hockey game.
You may have a point there, although it'd be a sell only to the core gamers. But haptic controllers would be an actual, tangible advance. A lot could be done with haptic controllers.

Since you cannot hold a tablet/touchpad and a gamepad at the same time, I'd say yes.
The Wii U really needs a tablet controller. The whole console was based on that concept.

Offering an alternative so you won't need to use the tablet controller doesn't mean the console could exist without it.
When I see the poor gimmicks devs has come with so far I wonder.

A plain tablet (with one set of triggers and one set of back button) may be would have gave a clearer direction =>un-compromised touch gameplay when it makes sense.

But I'm my self not that opposed to touch screen controls controls. I quit gaming a long time (at the time analog stick was getting standard fyi) when I resumed on the 360 I had a tough time to adapt.
Believe it or not I'm pretty much as comfortable with the control in a game like "gunbros" on my phone (edit as with dual analog sticks). The touch screen is 4" but can't be exploited as a whole for obvious reasons.

I still don't have a tablet still I've the gross feeling that the size alone would solve a lot of the shortcoming I face on my phone. Something a touchscreen can't emulate is side buttons/ triggers.

Anyway the device isn't out let see how it evolves. But the good uses I've seen of the device seems to actually not really on the button at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gameplay-wise I don't think it needs it; recent games like zelda are gimmicky enough as it is.

The other function: use it as a monitor is nice, I believe that a lot of parents will like that option.

You may have a point there, although it'd be a sell only to the core gamers. But haptic controllers would be an actual, tangible advance. A lot could be done with haptic controllers.

Another thing that might be possible is giving you a general idea the location a shot came from. With normal rumble you get some vibration, with advanced haptic if you get shot from a side or oblique angle you might be able to determine that. Improving situational awareness in first person shooters would be a win in my book.

The tablet seems useful for more general functions.

Is the Wii U pad pressure sensitive? That could help a little against lack of multitouch. Using the pen could be more fun as a result ...

Is the Wii U pad pressure sensitive? That could help a little against lack of multitouch. Using the pen could be more fun as a result ...
wow I missed that! The touch screen doesn't support multi touch?

I'm definitely done with that thing... that is pathetic more than whatever the specs are.

For me what Wiiu really needs is to be the tablet. I would be infinitely more excited about the console and i'm sure a lot of the current grips people are having with the console would be gone if that's enable them to play console games wherever they are. Even some limitations like having more people using the tablet controller would be solved...

A few years back i actually thought that would be nintendo end goal: To mix their portables with their consoles in a controller tablet and have the best of both worlds XD

Nintendo almost dropped tablet screen in Wii U GamePad

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-14-nintendo-almost-dropped-tablet-screen-in-wii-u-gamepad

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has admitted the Wii U GamePad's tablet screen was almost dropped late in the console's planning stages.
The company was worried the screen's price would drive up the console's overall cost to consumers.
"Sometime during that final discussion we almost gave up on the idea of the additional screen," Iwata told The Telegraph. "This was due to our concern over the expected high cost, it may not have been feasible to create this and sell it at a reasonable price point for the consumers."
The fact Microsoft and Sony have both now produced their own dual-screen concepts, Xbox SmartGlass and Vita Cross-Play, only validated Nintendo's decision, Iwata added.
"It's quicker than before. After our showing of motion control, it took three years for other companies to follow suit. But this time it's just one year after our proposal, even before we brought out the actual product. I think that proves the great potential of what we showed last year."

How huge? I'd like an A4 sized screen but it'd need to have virtually no bezel to look good.

I think Wii U would be helped with another 'adult' controller more like a Vita and not designed to be child proof.

The second screen is there, and is the main marketing handle. There is no changing that at this stage.
Personally, I see problems with cost, lack of symmetric gameplay beyond possibly two players, issues with motion control, and lackluster utilization by any multiplatform title.

On the other hand, tablet gameplay will reduce friction in many homes - parents will indeed take notice.

I do think they fumbled the ball a bit with the implementation, but it is hard to complain about a company that really does try to come up with something new rather than more of the same old. Can't expect them to hit home runs on every attempt.

Back