Does Sony have the guts? Killzone 2 PS3 vs. Shadowrun @ GDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
Remember this game? We haven't heard much about Guerilla's Killzone 2 since it appeared in video CG form back at E3 ages ago. The studio and Sony Computer Entertainment went dark on the title after the E3 presentation.

Rumors pointed at the game's intended resurgence at their pre-launch Gamers' Day event last year. Ultimately, if the rumors are to be believed, Sony shelved showing Killzone 2 in favor of spotlighting Insomniac's new shooter franchise (and it will be a franchise) Resistance. The same rumors have pointed to Killzone 2 being much further along than previously expected -- with the apex of the rumor arc concluding that the game has been playable online for almost a year.

Microsoft and Bungie's beta program for Halo 3 is all the rage this Spring. It's garnered countless news stories with its multiple points of entry and even landed a cover in EGM back in November (I expect the beta to be similar but with more weapons and polish to the maps covered in that series of stories).

Aside from the obvious connection between Killzone and Halo being first-party developed shooters and the first Killzone being branded with the unfortunate moniker of "Halo-killer," the ties between these games are going to bind even closer this Spring.

Expect a playable Killzone 2 demo to be released (hmm, Phil Harrison is keynoting at GDC...) before gamers are participating in the beta for Halo 3.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=784616...cUserId=5519593

Look...forget Halo 3...for a minute

Killzone 2 will be Shadowruns "shadow" for sure if Sony releases a demo. The FASA team has worked years on Shadowrun with much better early alpha developer kits and will be utilizing the well known and tested LIVE network.

I would be amazed to see a decent Killzone 2 demo. Even more incredible would be having the guts to engage the twin tempests that were born in Microsofts headquaters known as Shadowrun and Halo 3.

I'm sure the matador Peter Moore is hoping this comes true.

Has already been posted and what the heck is so special about Shadowrun ?

even if killzone showing will be nothing special , it's still will overshadow SR by a mile, people and media will be focusing on killzone 2 everyone wants to see how that game is going to look.

Last edited by a moderator:
In case of KZ2 the media is going to focus almost exclusively on the visuals. THE big question is, does it look like the CGI-Trailer? How it plays is completely secondary at this point (unfortunatelly, as the gameplay was what was lacking most in the first one).

Shadowrun on the other hand is all about the online multiplayer and not meant to compete with either Halo 3 or KZ2 in the graphics department. They're not really competing products IMO, so I don't see the reason for a head to head showdown.

Halo 3 vs. KZ2 is the much more likely "battle of the giants", Shadowrun has its own niche...

This thread is about even having the courage to face the fury of two 1st party zenith-caliber beta/demo's from Microsoft.

Uhm.. how is Killzone NOT a first party/in house Sony product? It's hype versus hype.

Yeah I dont envy Killzone 2, having to try to match that trailer.

Hope the demo news is true but I'm calling too good to be true...

Killzone versus Shadowrun!?

Wow.

I like it. It's fresh! Joking aside... I've been really interested in Shadowrun since it was shown back whenever that was (E3?). Of course, I'm not good enough to be selected for the Shadowrun Beta (or halo 3 beta for that matter). And I'm really not into multiplayer much (I don't wish to prove my suckiness to myself, thank you! :p ), but since Shadowrun will reward players for teamwork (n00blet, t4ht wsa miy killz! I pwn u no!) and playing a support role... that just really ups my interest in the game. The strategy in the game created by the combination of tech, magic, and weapons also made me excited to actually play the game. Can't wait to test it out myself. (on that note: how long will I be waiting assuming I'm not granted entry into Shadowrun Beta?)

Regarding this Killzone demo, sidestepping whether it will or will not be overshadowed by Shadowrun for a moment, I'll be glad to hear people's thoughts on the gameplay. As a Killzone owner (a dissatisfied one, overall), I hope to see big strides with gameplay. The game can look as good as it can possibly be, be cuter than a button and more badass than a man with a chainsaw for a hand and a boomstick on his back, but.... that was hardly the biggest concern with the first game! I'm probably among the few that only see how the graphics shape up as an interesting sideshow. The first question I always have has nothing to do with graphics and everything to do with gameplay. :???:

It'd be nice if they could craft an experience that doesn't have me put the game down for 2 whole months before picking it back up to finish off the last 10% or whatever was left. In that regard, my expectation is that regardless of which game Killzone goes up against, it may come out the loser. Not in terms of Graphics (Unless Bungie/FASA really apply a special, spicy flavor of sauce to the graphics between the media we've seen and the games' releases--of which my expectation is "I dunno" at this point), but rather gameplay and fun factor. On the other hand, unless people are suddenly wowed by Shadowrun's gameplay (as Crackdown's, despite its simplistic graphics!), Killzone will probably get far more media attention, few direct comparisons to Shadowrun (except as a secondary comparison, primary one being The One of course...), and of course, graphics being held in higher regard than gameplay.

Will the PC version of Shadowrun come at the same time as the console version? Is it Vista only? And, the most important, how much does it cost to play online on PC?

I fail to see the connection between KZ2 and Shadowrun. Honestly, I don't think this topic is any good for discussion - I fail to see its relevance. Thus locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back