Does old heatsinks for R300/NV30 match R420/NV40?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by LeStoffer, Jul 16, 2004.

1. LeStoffer

Veteran

Does anybody know whether the old heatsinks for the R3x0 line match the new R420 (holes, alignment etc)? The same goes for old heatsinks from the NV3x on the NV40.

I’m aware that the new GDDR-3 RAM shouldn’t need cooling, so I’m first and foremost interested in hearing about GPU-cooling with heatsinks that are in trade for the older generation.

The reason I’m asking is that I need to start looking for a watercooling block for whatever card I get next (NV40 or R420). I got an Innovatek setup now on my CPU and Radeon 9700 Pro.

Oh, and in case you’re wondering: I don’t use watercooling for overclocking but for ultra-low noise. Sweet! 8)

2. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

It looks like the ASUS X800 PRO uses the same cooling from the 9800 XT.

3. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Well, I'm staring at my brand new Koolance GPU-180, contimplating it's installation on my new 6800GT..... The Koolance site says it fits r300 NV30 through the new R420/NV40's........but there's no instructions for the new vidcards..... :cry: In other words....Hell, I don't know, contact Innovatek!

Hmmm...... just reread my reply and I really didn't mean to come off like I did...... I would still recommend you contact Innovatek. If it doesn't directly work, maybe that have an adapter that will make it so.

4. LeStoffer

Veteran

Thanks. Hmmm, it is difficult the see from the pictures on Asus' web whether their heatsink are meant to cool the RAM too like the 9800XT needed.

Anyway, if a R3x0 GPU waterblock can be mounted to fit perfect on a R420 board I don't care either way.

5. Evildeus

Veteran

Well it seems that NV40 doesn't have the same holes' places as the NV35. At least i know someone who is WC a NV40 with the same WC block as NV35 and he did have to tweak his WC block to fix it.

6. LeStoffer

Veteran

Yes, something seems to suggest that there could be a go on X800, but not on 6800:

http://forum.vapochill.com/showthread.php?threadid=6551 (not Innovatek, but still)

7. Jima13

Newcomer

I have mcw50's on Ti4600, R9500 & 9700.....the blocks will work w/o adapters on x800, but different adapters are needed for nv30 & nv40. Swiftech sells those for $6.95 and $12.95 respectivly.. :)