Does anyone have a 2.5 inch ssd ?

Aren't all the non NVME / M.2 SSDs that size? My very first SSD, an OCZ Vertex is 2.5". I used an Icy Dock adapter to mount into a 3.5" enclosure. I also used a 2 2.5" SSD to 1 5.25" Enclosure as well.

What's the actual question here? do I have literally a 2.5" measured exactly SSD drive?

I expect UFS memory cards or relativey high grade ones to act as cheap and versatile SSD, that will make them more affordable and interesting : use as a system drive in a desktop tower, then as USB drive or in a mobile computer.

Till then, using a smaller old hard drive for the OS has worked for me : similar space, I/O benefits from having the I/O come from different drives. Other small benefits.

For rusting desktops, there's lack of SSD or memory cards slots, lack of controllers. 1x PCIe card that takes cards would be best and it works with new or recent PC, or even in a mini PCIe 1x slot.

With many custom builders not bothering with BR drives and m2 drives becomes more mainstream, I wonder if we'll start seeing ITX designs with zero drive slots, or even a single 2.5" (2.75"???) tucked away on one of the sides.

With many custom builders not bothering with BR drives and m2 drives becomes more mainstream, I wonder if we'll start seeing ITX designs with zero drive slots, or even a single 2.5" (2.75"???) tucked away on one of the sides.

You may check the STX format, an Asrock mini PC made of just a case and motherboard has been the most notable one.
It's some super mini tower in about the shape of the NEC PC-FX console if you remember that one.
It's like ITX but without a regular PCIe slot, with a vertical motherboard, M.2 PCIe as the main drive slot. Two 2.5" hard drives with 9.5mm height can be added, resting at the top of the case. That is the side they were tucked away : ). Motherboard has both a rear I/O panel (as on ATX, ITX) and a smaller front I/O panel meaning front USB / audio is on the motherboard not on the case.

This is small and allows three drives, small area footprint and.. 65 watts of cpu cooling so no need to make your CPU slower or throttling or noisy.

Back