Does anybody know how welel an E8200 will OC with the original cooler?

I.S.T.

Veteran
I'm going to be buying two of these soon(One for my dad's PC, one for mine), and I plan on OCing mine and possibly my father's. The money is not mine, and I doubt I'll be able to talk them into an additional $60 or more for two coolers.

Edit: Dammit, the title has a lot of typos, and I can't fix them. :( Could a wondering mod fix 'em?

The dual-core Penryn coolers are substantially smaller than the standard Core 2 Duo coolers you're likely accustomed to. My E6850 cooler had a copper core that was something like 1.25" in diameter that traverses the entire thickness of the sink, and the entire aluminum fins were probably 2" tall and ~4.5" in diameter. My E8400 cooler, by contrast, was entirely aluminum, about 1" tall, and the same diameter.

Overall, I'd expect the E8200 to overclock decently; my E8400 did 3.6Ghz (20% overclock) on stock voltage of 1.1125v bios setting (about 1v even according to CPU-Z while under load).

So, here's a suggestion: go looking for people who aren't using their old stock copper-core C2D heatsinks. One of those would be double (or better) the cooling capacity of the stocker that comes with your E8200, but at the same time would be ridiculously cheap -- hell, they'd probably ship one to you for the cost of shipping and maybe a few bucks to cover their trip to Kinkos / Mailboxes Etc.

If I still have my E6850 sink, I'd give it to you for the costs of whatever shipping you want. :)

The dual-core Penryn coolers are substantially smaller than the standard Core 2 Duo coolers you're likely accustomed to. My E6850 cooler had a copper core that was something like 1.25" in diameter that traverses the entire thickness of the sink, and the entire aluminum fins were probably 2" tall and ~4.5" in diameter. My E8400 cooler, by contrast, was entirely aluminum, about 1" tall, and the same diameter.

Overall, I'd expect the E8200 to overclock decently; my E8400 did 3.6Ghz (20% overclock) on stock voltage of 1.1125v bios setting (about 1v even according to CPU-Z while under load).

So, here's a suggestion: go looking for people who aren't using their old stock copper-core C2D heatsinks. One of those would be double (or better) the cooling capacity of the stocker that comes with your E8200, but at the same time would be ridiculously cheap -- hell, they'd probably ship one to you for the cost of shipping and maybe a few bucks to cover their trip to Kinkos / Mailboxes Etc.

If I still have my E6850 sink, I'd give it to you for the costs of whatever shipping you want. :)

Thanks for the offer, but i'll pass. I've decided to buy two coolers(I read a review today while looking for information on this.), and my mother OKed the purchase.

If you are after a good cooler for a low price I'd recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Not the last word in performance but cheap, capable and with a quiet PWM fan.

you know someone did a review of coolers and the stock was actually suprisingly good
beating coolers from coolermaster, thermalake and other big names

If you are after a good cooler for a low price I'd recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Not the last word in performance but cheap, capable and with a quiet PWM fan.

I use the AMD version and it's really good. The fan is mounted on rubber. I can overclock and when undervolting it's barely audible when running Prime95.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back