Does anybody in here have any ideas of PowerVR5?

SegaR&D

Newcomer
Can anyone share the sort of capabilities and features we can expect?

It must be radical if Sega chose it.

So can anyone spill any beans?

And when we can here on it?

* it won't be used in a new Sega console

* it won't be used in any consumer hardware from Sega

*it's powerful

*it's secret

*it's the fifth generation of PowerVR but only the forth to be released, if it does get released.

* it's very very secret

*it's not a conventional renderer

*it has shaders

*it's top secret

*it's a new PowerVR

*oh yeah and it's really secret.

all i know is that there is a thread about it ~bi-monthly on some forum called beyond3d! nothing else is known about it yet.

This is what was talked about in 2002 -
Metcalfe said that Series-5 architecture would be based on a primary processing pipeline and a series of hardware accelerators that can be optionally switched in and out to render graphics.

"As well as class-leading functionality, there will be some unique features enabled by tile-based rendering," said Metcalfe.
http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20021003S0016

Things changed, of course.

The new units are planned to ship early next year.

thop said:
all i know is that there is a thread about it ~bi-monthly on some forum called beyond3d! nothing else is known about it yet.
The series number is also increased about once in two years, otherwise all the available details remain the same ( see Megadrives post )

Reverend said:
It's not for playing games any more. BMW is now using it for their in-car display for the 5 series.

&*R$%#%#)(*$)@&)%& are you serious

The Baron said:
Series 5 is dead to me. :( Series 6, on the other hand...

Great. Now we know what will be replacing all the PowerVR Series 5 threads... "PowerVR Series 6" threads until 2007...

Back