Does anybody have any idea of when we'll be hearing on PVR5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was feeling empty without these bi-monthly PVR5 threads. Thanks. Nobody knows anything, those who know don't say anything. We'll hear soon enough about it or never. Simple as that.

Sega are using some new tech (pvr5?) in future arcades - thats already been signed on.

As for PC - if Doom 3 & Halflife 2 dont awaken the beast, sadly it seems nothing will. :(

The tech should be complete by now and in driver development & testing stages. It will all come down to licensees however -
*S3 & XGI only have low-end solutions - Both need high-end winners to help drive sales of the struggling Volaris & Deltachromes - although S3 has already announced next-gen Gammachrome???
*Creative have 3D Labs for professional work - thus could use it to claim their own product markets in high-end gaming graphics (without using ati/nvidia) to add to their portfolio alongside high-end workstation graphics & sound cards.
*Intel might use a low-end derivative - it needs a better chip for its next generation as its new offering (even though dx9) is still slower than the other integrated chipsets out there - & future use with windows longhorn??
*PowerVR has partners for various tech (including mbx) at most of the top semiconductor firms - so would one of them possibly involve themselves in a greater capacity (ala STM with Kyro) as Sega needs to fab it somewhere anyway???

At this stage they have a slight tactical advantage of knowing how the competition available performs and coincide a new release with Doom & Halflife products - which should ideally drive system & graphics upgrades. So no news is good news, for now, I suppose :?

like everyone else here, I too am longing to hear something concrete on Series 5. probably the first thing we'll see of it, is through Sega's new arcade board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back