Do you think PS3 will have enough Cell?

sir doris

Regular
Are 7 SPUs enough to really take advantage of the concepts Sony are sugesting Cell is capable of?

For example; Dolby Digital 5.1, Complex physics, advanced AI, Higher order surfaces, post processing frame buffer effects, OS overheads such as instant messaging, etc..

Do you think 1 or two SPUs will be required for each of the above tasks? Or maybe that the SPUs are fast enough to complete one task, save the results to XDR and then move on to a different task on the same SPU while inside the same game loop at 60, 120, 240fps (in the case of physics, for example)?

Do you think that most games will only offer one or two of these special features? Or not embrace any?

Also, did I read somewhere that the frame buffer in PS3 could be stored in the XDR or GDDR3?

Finally is DD 5.1 a requirement for PS3 games?

Yeah the cell can handle all of that easily at the same time. The question is how much better can it do all of those things better than its competitors. The X360 can do those things too and the Rev. might be able to do it too. Sony created the cell to do all of that stuff better than the competition, so we'll have to wait to see if this actually happens or not.
________
Cheap vaporizers

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more worried if XB360 do have enough Cell (like power ;) ), than PS3 although DeanoC and those "fluide reality" (PR BS? :( ) coments, make me a little less worried.

both systems will have more than enough power . the cell is an awsome chip and so is the x360 chip . Both graphics chips are awsome they will put out graphics like gow easily and everyone will enjoy awsome games and beause of this we will all enjoy these great games on systems that drop in price quicker than the old consoles

Me and jvd don't agree much but I fully endorse this comment that he just made.

both systems will have more than enough power . the cell is an awsome chip and so is the x360 chip . Both graphics chips are awsome they will put out graphics like gow easily and everyone will enjoy awsome games and beause of this we will all enjoy these great games on systems that drop in price quicker than the old consoles

Graphics next year will be so far past want we are use to this gen that buying either console would be suggested. The only losers would be people that don't invest in a next gen console.
________
Health shop

jvd said:

I care more with AI, physics, animation, simulation(in general), processural work,advanced interfaces... than gfx, I think they can add more to the game/gameplay/inovation (e.g.Eyedentificator?)/imersion... than ever before.

That was what impressed me in PS3 demos. I think that 1/3 of power GoW,PGR3,Kameo from XB360... stands very well to PS3 demos gfx.

But as I said seems that the GPU will offload some thinghs and CPU will do well enough, but power is never enough :devilish: especialy CPU power :devilish: , no matter if it is equal to PS3 or no.

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah the cell can handle all of that easily at the same time. The question is how much better can it do all of those things better than its competitors.
No, that isn't the question. There's no need to drag in competing platforms into every debate. The question 'is this enough in Cell for PS3'? and NOT 'is this enough Cell in PS3 to trounce the competition'. Discussing XB360 or Revolution is totally irrelevant to the original thread's topic.

In answer to sir doris, I get the impression Cell is plenty mighty enough if the devs learnt o tame it. The tech demos show brute force, and the demo of Heavenly Sword, impressive as it was, wasn't pushing the SPE's at all (based on DeanoC's comments on only running a single thread).

Beat me to it re: Heavenly Sword there. If that's what they can do with an in-game engine with an 8th the total CPU power excluding OS overhead etc......damn.

I think if their is a problem with PS3 it's that alot of developers won't take advantage of Cell. You could easily get a very impressive game up and running using just the RSX GPU and the PPE in Cell (re: Heavenly Sword). I bet only very high budget AAA titles will go to the trouble of multi-threading and optimizing their games to the extent where they can really take advantage of all the processing power in Cell, keeping all 7 SPUs busy with something.

Thanks for the replay guys. As most of you picked up I was not asking if the graphics will be good or how they will compare with the other systems. From the Heavenly Sword and Unreal Engine Demos alone I think that is a given considering both games are supposed to be heavely reliant on the RSX rather than cell. What I was wondering was if people thought we will get games featuring ALL of these potential gamplay inovations on top of the graphics.

For example; will we see games that feature DD 5.1, Deformable environments, truley real-time damage to surfaces and objects, great physics , believable and challenging AI and the great graphics with possible post processing effecs :?: or is that asking to much of the system as speced :?:

And I think the majority of you are saying yes, it's do-able :D

Boom: I guess that's likely to be the case with the first titles, but as time continues, code libraries and programming methods are built up, the games will better utilise the hardware. Especially with the competition from the 1st party devs who will no doubt have the resources push things further, earlier.

For example; will we see games that feature DD 5.1, Deformable environments, truley real-time damage to surfaces and objects, great physics , believable and challenging AI and the great graphics with possible post processing effecs or is that asking to much of the system as speced

Yes it's doable and you'll see more of this in high budget 3rd generation games from all platforms. Just look at the disparity between games on current generation consoles.

Yeah but I'm trying to think about things that the Cell will bring to gaming that we have not thought of so far. Like some games today have things happening that us gamers probably didn't expect back in the year 1999. I wonder what the Cell is going to provide that we so far have not thought about yet.
________
Marijuana vaporizer

Back