Do you think GPU video scaling can be further improve?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by gongo, Sep 6, 2009.

1. gongo

Regular

AFAIK AMD HD4800 series video scaling ranks at about a typical Sony/Panasonic HDTV scaler...that is what i read from videophiles...which means the PQ is very typical....I mean with all that teraflops under the hood, why is it AMD(and Nvidia) not coming up with better scaling/correction algorithm like those dedicted expensive scaler? AMD HD4800 coincidently cannot upscale through analog...or is it just a limitation of video scaling? With the widespread use of fixed displays, i thought a good scaler would come in handy for both PQ and framerates...imagine watching youtube scaled to full screen perfection on your 1200p monitor... Consoles are using video scaling to balance between graphics and framerates. PS3 have a very good DVD 480p scaling software too...If Dave is reading this, you think you could pass a message to AMD scientists to work on HD5800 video scaling..or has that already been done and implemented? :D

2. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Maybe it stops being about compute ability and more about the algorithm once you reach a certain level of processing power?

3. Karoshi

Newcomer

One posibility is super-resolution. No idea what latency that induces (audio sync!) or what of the many algorithms are suitable for real time (low end IGP flops overload).
    In theory, running over HDMI the audio could be buffered for some frames. It would be weird anyway, hearing the OS sounds 1+ seconds after the fact.

4. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

the GPUs have been doing output scaling since like 1998 or so. Whenever ratiometric expansion showed up in notebook graphics solutions. Before they implemented this scaling, you either had to deal with letterboxing for non-native resolutions or use a terrible pixel stretch. For desktops, it wasn't very useful until everything went LCD. It has only gotten better since.

For video playback, it depends on which output you use. Video scaling has been in video cards to various degrees since the mid '90s. For example, I think overlay is simple bilinear filtering. But with VMR9 and EMR, I'm not sure. I know with Media Player Classic you can use pixel shader-based scaling including bicubic and better bilinear. FFDSHOW lets you resize with many algorithm choices such as Lanczos and Spline. I really have a hard time seeing the difference between bilinear and the fancier options.

TV scaling is different though. They will use edge enhancement, sharpening and noise reduction among other things I'm sure. You can use some of those on PC too though with modern vid cards or thru FFDSHOW. They are really subjective "enhancements" though and I prefer to turn that kind of stuff off usually.

#4 swaaye, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009
  5. frameavenger

Newcomer

Great feature, but gpu scaling in Windows 7 is not implemented at last catalyst yet...

6. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Does ATI let you use GPU scaling over the VGA out? For some reason NVIDIA only allows it over DVI.

7. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

I'm pretty sure new scaling features will be introduced in RV8xx, please stand-by.

8. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Why would you need scaling over VGA?

9. Davros

Legend

because some lcd's only have d-sub
    this one for instance :
    [​IMG]

#9 Davros, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2009
  10. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

What a horrible reason. Time to upgrade! :p

11. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

For connecting to my HDTV. It's not a big deal at all, I was just wondering why scaling worked over DVI but not VGA.

12. Davros

Legend

Ive actually connected my pc to my lcd via vga and dvi at the same time(using clone display) and switched between them, bugger all difference i could see

13. Rufus

Newcomer

Apparently something has changed in regards to video scaling with the current generation of NV GPUs. I was glancing through the linux driver readme when I saw this bit:
    This higher quality scaling only applies to the newest GT21x chips. I have no idea what the difference between the standard scaling and thew newer scaling is. The only reference I can find to this is a post at nvnews that doesn't say anything specific.

14. Karoshi

Newcomer

I was thinking of the "old" way of doing video: here, have a YUV buffer, send it to the monitor.
    If the GPU is doing the decoding it's already got the future frames needed for backwards frame references or can do look ahead decoding. Nothing stands in the way of frame-sync 1 teraflop super resolution.

15. brain_stew

Regular

Well if Nvidia enabled hardware scaling over HDMI that'd be a decent improvement, because, I'd be able to, you know, actually use the feature.