Do you play lottery?

When on a programming course one of the first assignments was to make a lottery number picking program picked some numbers for my gf and they won
unfortunately the stupid bint forgot to put them on
but then again she was the type who wouldnt of give me a penny so its just as well :D

Yes, I play. Have won, but nothing to cover what Ive spent on them. The pleasure of imagining winning it more than make up the few dollars I put in every few weeks.

Ok, that's fair. I'll admit I've picked up a quick pick ticket once or twice when it was at insane levels just to have fun dreams for the week. :oops:

yes its known rightly as a tax on idiots
though I did get a ticket sent to me on my birthday from my parents last time + it won $~40.
they were pissed off cause they play every week for years + have only won cash 5 times

Im a gambler though

I've won on those scratch and win tickets lots of times, but certainly haven't made any money at it. Of course, if you profited, then it wouldn't be gambling.

I rarely play. Pretty much never on a plain lottery. I could see myself playing things that require some sort of skills though, like poker. Although I don't do that other than really rare exceptions. Last time I played anything like this was like 15 years ago on some poker machines on the ferry over to Finland. Although I won enough to end up on plus I recall.

No I don't play... In Finland the lottery works out so that you have to put 7 numbers out of 39 onto paper and then a machine draws seven numbers. To win a small amount you have to get 4 right and the prize naturally increases if you get 5 right etc. The problem is that you already have to be incredibly lucky to get 6 right, but getting 6 right doesn't really feel like a victory since the prize money is still really small, actually the amount is a huge joke compared to 7 right, so in the end getting 6 right is a total nightmare + much more likely to happen than getting 7...

I'd probably kill myself, if I was playing and get 6 correct numbers... That's why I don't play.

I won around 30€.. at the very first round of our national lottery in 1986, cant remember too well as I was 7 at that time :LOL: Was the highest sum I won at the lottery and pretty sure I ended up negative in total.

If you ever hit the jackpot, its most probable you do so the very first time you play.

I'll play 10 bucks everytime it goes above 200m . So far I've won 2800. Which i think more than covers what i've spent. Mabye one day I will win something big , mabye not , its still fun to do 1 or 2 times a year. I have some friends that win the pick 5 every few weeks though. I'm not that lucky

No I don't play... In Finland the lottery works out so that you have to put 7 numbers out of 39 onto paper and then a machine draws seven numbers. To win a small amount you have to get 4 right and the prize naturally increases if you get 5 right etc. The problem is that you already have to be incredibly lucky to get 6 right, but getting 6 right doesn't really feel like a victory since the prize money is still really small, actually the amount is a huge joke compared to 7 right, so in the end getting 6 right is a total nightmare + much more likely to happen than getting 7...

I'd probably kill myself, if I was playing and get 6 correct numbers... That's why I don't play.
Where I live, in Ontario, we have 6/49 (choose 6 out of 49 numbers), super 7 (choose 7 out of 49), daily keno (20 out of 80), encore (7 digit number), millionaire raffle (6 digit number), pay day (4 out of 79), winner take all (6 digit number), lottario (6 out of 49) and millionaire life (8 digit number). I guess people play a lot of lottos to support so many here.

The lotto's do support community services (minor league sport etc) in Canada. I buy tickets when the jackpot gets up a bit, but I expect to lose and don't really feel bad about losing.

I play with the same numbers twice a week every week. Probabaly spend a little over £100 per year and have been playing for about 6-7 years. I think I have won the lowest prize (£10) about 4-5 times in that period.

So yeah, certainly no money made here and I know the odds are very long, but the comfort it provides from knowing there is at least a chance you could win a life changing amount more than makes up for the unnoticable outgoing for me.

For the record, my chances of winning the jackpot over the next 20 years if I continue to play like this are 1 in 7000.

You never know, I might get lucky!

I hate the lottery. I worked in a gas station in my teens and had to sell lottery tickets. It pissed me off to no end. Dealing with the insane lottery addicts was a serious test of my patience. Now if I'm in line behind someone getting/checking tickets, I get mad very very quickly.

Here in Texas the Lottery adds money to the State Education budget/whatever(I'm so brain dead I can't think of the proper name for this. I suck!) They've made a billion or two since it was started, IIRC.

Back