DLNA - What a joke

I moved abroad 2 weeks ago for a new job. As the only piece of luxery I decided to buy myself a nice tv. Up until now I only had an old crt tv so I went to the shop and ended up buying a LG 42LM6600. This model isnt available in the US/EU but I believe its pretty much a LM660s. Whatever the case, its one of LG's smart tv models.

As it has built in wifi and I like watching movies/series I decided to set up DLNA for easy streaming. Unfortunalty it's a big joke. I've been trying for two days but it is impossible to set up.

First of all LG has no documentation what so ever. Don't bother reading the manual cause it wont tell you anything useful. So I started browsing my tv. OK so it seems I have to use plex. Fine. Downloaded it. GREAT! resource hogging software.... just what my E450 cpu laptop needs... So I set it up, as far as you can actually set it up, and turn on my tv.

Nothing! ofcourse. No surprise here. But whatever the fuck I try I just can't get the POS to see whatever I'm sharing. So I think, lets download the plex android app to see if there is anything wrong with my set up somewhere. Forget it, those asswhipes dare charging 4 bucks for that.

It's 2013 for gods sake, why does one still need to bother with shit like this? It should just work. Period. I just want to stream without dragging my pc acros the room all the time but I doubt this LG & plex crap combi is ever going to work.

Anybody knows where I can get a cheap 10 meter HDMI cable? At least that works.

I moved abroad 2 weeks ago for a new job. As the only piece of luxery I decided to buy myself a nice tv. Up until now I only had an old crt tv so I went to the shop and ended up buying a LG 42LM6600. This model isnt available in the US/EU but I believe its pretty much a LM660s. Whatever the case, its one of LG's smart tv models.

As it has built in wifi and I like watching movies/series I decided to set up DLNA for easy streaming. Unfortunalty it's a big joke. I've been trying for two days but it is impossible to set up.

First of all LG has no documentation what so ever. Don't bother reading the manual cause it wont tell you anything useful. So I started browsing my tv. OK so it seems I have to use plex. Fine. Downloaded it. GREAT! resource hogging software.... just what my E450 cpu laptop needs... So I set it up, as far as you can actually set it up, and turn on my tv.

Nothing! ofcourse. No surprise here. But whatever the fuck I try I just can't get the POS to see whatever I'm sharing. So I think, lets download the plex android app to see if there is anything wrong with my set up somewhere. Forget it, those asswhipes dare charging 4 bucks for that.

It's 2013 for gods sake, why does one still need to bother with shit like this? It should just work. Period. I just want to stream without dragging my pc acros the room all the time but I doubt this LG & plex crap combi is ever going to work.

So you basically want to bitch because you are to lazy to look things up? Thank you for wasting my time.

I have 0 problems streaming to a Samsung TV using minidlna (including support for external subtitle files).

Maybe plex is the issue here, but a DLNA mediaserver in itself surely doesn't need much resources. minidlna (sans transcoding, as the Samsung supports most formats), runs on one of my Linksys NSLU2s, a 266MHz ARM CPU with 32MB RAM (running Debian Linux).

The reason why LG doesn't explain anything is because the TV is just an UPNP mediarenderer (and maybe UPNP controlpoint too). There's not much to explain about those! Just install a proper UPNP mediaserver and all will work well.

I can recommend minidlna and twonkymediaserver (or whatever it is called these days, haven't tried many versions beyond 5.x).

The reason why LG doesn't explain anything is because the TV is just an UPNP mediarenderer (and maybe UPNP controlpoint too). There's not much to explain about those! Just install a proper UPNP mediaserver and all will work well.
I can recommend minidlna and twonkymediaserver (or whatever it is called these days, haven't tried many versions beyond 5.x).

For a simple streaming solution you don't even need that (if you have Windows 7+), the built-in DLNA/UPNP server works fine with LG.
Minimal setup required (see first three steps here: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/faq/DLNA.html)
The only drawback I see with my model (LK950s) - apart from the spectacularily crappy UI - is no DTS support.

For a simple streaming solution you don't even need that (if you have Windows 7+), the built-in DLNA/UPNP server works fine with LG.
Minimal setup required (see first three steps here: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/faq/DLNA.html)
The only drawback I see with my model (LK950s) - apart from the spectacularily crappy UI - is no DTS support.

you are right. I forgot about WMP UPNP support as the ControlPoint/MediaRenderer implementation is rather bad, and therefore I avoid it completely.. However, I see no reason why the mediaserver part should not work just fine with the LG TV.

Yes I over reacted. I moved to Japan just 3 weeks ago and between work and buying and arranging all the stuff I needed to do I got frustrated that things didn't just work.

I think I found the problem. I'm using a pocket wifi device which should also act as a router but I think the device is limited to just allowing different devices to connect withouth actually creating a network between them. My phone cant find the tv either (remote app from lg) and my pc and phone can't seem to find each other either so I think that's the problem.

I'd like to hear more about this Japan "adventure" of yours. :) I've understood that you were an exchange student there some years ago and now you have moved there. Is this a limited time work project or is the length of your stay indefinite? Have you learned many Kanjis? What type of work do you do?

Once upon a time I was sort of dreaming doing something similar, but it never happened. I'd like to hear more about your experiences over there.

Back