DisplayPort and CMOS Photonics: Luxtera leads the way

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by B3D News, Jun 13, 2007.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

A few weeks ago, we had the opportunity to speak with Luxtera, which has come to prominence in the display industry for their role in the recently-ratified DisplayPort standard.

Read the full article

2. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Haven't read through it all yet (cool article though), but shouldn't the "Megabits/second" be near the vertical axis (first graph, second graph is fine)? I was confused for a few moments because normally you have the x-axis title correspond to what's changing on the x-scale...

3. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

It's either a bug in the graph generator or simply that I am bad at graphs :D

Thanks for the report, we're looking into it.

4. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

:) It's a really minor thing, but here's what I meant (in case my post didn't make sense):

[​IMG]

Anyhoo, great article. I'm all for moving away from copper. :)

Would they then be similar in size/weight as those home theater optical audio cables? I'd personally feel safer with a cable that's resistant to bending, but I guess that's all in implementation later down the road.

Interchip communication sounds really exciting. :cool:

And now the long wait....

5. Spy Hunter

Newcomer

Ethernet

Does anyone else think that we should just wait for 100 Gb Ethernet over optical fiber, and then just use that as the next display standard? 100 Gb Ethernet would have plenty of bandwidth, plus it would have great economies of scale, and be much more flexible than any existing display standard. You could easily define an interface to control monitors over the Ethernet connection; you could even have a web interface to your monitors much like routers have. You could have one port on your video card, then hook up 10 monitors through a hub. Making a display wall would be simple. You could have three computers at your desk and swap monitors between them using software like <a href="http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/">Synergy</a> without needing a separate KVM. How awesome would that be?

6. BrynS

Regular

Interesting.

I hadn't really heard of CMOS photonics until Arun mentioned it a few days ago.

7. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Hey Spy Hunter, sorry for the slow approval in the moderation queue, I guess nobody realzied this post was still waiting! :)
    100 Gb would certainly give a truckload of flexibility, but I am sketical it could be made economical enough. Remember that the CMOS photonics would either be a separate chip (lower integration...) or the GPU and the device's transceiver would need to be manufactured in SOI. So if SOI becomes mainstream for other reasons in the next 5 years, then it's a possibility. Otherwise, it's not IMO. And even then, I presume the die size will be far from negligible for a 100Gbps CMOS Photonicsdesign...

Furthermore, Ethernet is two-way. I'm not completely sure it makes sense to have a two-way connection to the screen, although I guess that'd allow you to connect it to the same router/hub as your internet connection's. Whether that's actually desirable, I don't know though, hehe.
    Yeah, the thought that Intel Dalian might actually be reserved for that purpose came to mind while I was contributing to this article. Southbridges are also a possibility, but this makes even more sense in my mind. It would definitely be very interesting if Intel bought Soitec or a similar company.

8. Aerows

Regular Newcomer

A veritable geek fantasy. Excuse me while I go drool over the possibility of 10 paralleled boxes in the basement run to my 52" television.

Though, I must say, for the *really* geeky, even if you do this by mounting a very lightweight 22" LCD on a lapdesk type surface, add a keyboard and a 14' DVI cable...it just begins to seem all too possible to recline while connected to a very high powered box :grin:

Back on track...fascinating article. I haven't read all of it (I didn't look at the front page, so this is the first I noticed of it), but will do so. Excellent look at exciting tech.

There *has* to be a better way to connect equipment in the future that allows more flexibility.

EDIT: Great article. If there isn't already a massive demand for these solutions....about 10 minutes after the concept sinks in, you can envision about 100 different ways you would *love* to use it.

#8 Aerows, Jun 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007