Disaster Recovery Plans

NavNucST3

Veteran
I know this may be late, but after reading about the fire at 2kGames, I was wondering what do you (devs/publishers) have in place in case of a disaster. In the case of 2k games does everyone tele-commute now, are they shipped to other offices, do you even have ERP/DRP/BCP?

Also, does anyone have any insight into what this means for the launch of Oblivion?

NucNavST3 said:
I know this may be late, but after reading about the fire at 2kGames, I was wondering what do you (devs/publishers) have in place in case of a disaster. In the case of 2k games does everyone tele-commute now, are they shipped to other offices, do you even have ERP/DRP/BCP?

Also, does anyone have any insight into what this means for the launch of Oblivion?

I work at a large company now and all the major source control servers are isolated and backed up every night, a minimal amount of work would be lost if the buildings burned to the ground.

When I worked for a small company, we backed up the servers and individual PC's nightly, they were archived weekly offsite (which was a pain in the ass when you wanted to access one), so most of the loss would have been in getting another workspace set up.

There were times when it would have been a very bad thing though, you generally only find out your backups aren't working when you use one. The Gamecube devkits used to prevent individual PC's backing up because of the way they did disk emulation, and we didn't notice for a long time. Once we identified it, it was relatively trivial to rectify.

Back